Can someone explain THIS to me?

Started by Garak, Aug 23, 2007, 12:17 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Garak

I was talking to my 14 year old nephew just now and he said that he had to go get a booster shot in order to go to school this year.

So, at the health department he asked for some condoms. He was told they only give them to females unless he is tested?

What does "tested" mean?

Can someone explain the logic in giving MALE birth control devices ONLY to females???
I will stop staring at your boobs when you stop staring at my paycheck!

Cordell Walker

LOL..................................I'm glad I'm not  15 again
"how can you kill women and children?"---private joker
"Easy, ya just dont lead em as much" ---Animal Mother

Garak

Well, I am attempting not to jump to conclusions here but it sounds very anti-male to me.

Perhaps there is something I am overlooking?

Cordell Walker

either way its a form of anti male bias at work.......................................I would contact the local school administration  and health department

Garak

either way its a form of anti male bias at work.......................................I would contact the local school administration  and health department

Called them, my nephew was telling the truth!

They give them to women who come in to get birth control or papsmere.

I asked if there was any condition where men could get them for free and she said only if they come in to be tested for an STD and are positive!

So let me get this straight. Women get free birth control pills and free condoms. Yet men get nothing UNLESS they are positive for an STD!!!

She said: "It was just too expensive to give them out to men".

How is this not the government giving women FULL reproductive control when they can get both the female contraceptive and the male contraceptive for FREE more readily than men can get male contraceptives for free?

I think you could make the argument that women are served if men are given free contraception to use on those same women (of course -- sadly -- you have to put it in a "beneficial to women" context, but this will achieve your goal).  Call them back and ask who was responsible for making that decision.  Then contact whoever that person is, and point out the benefit to girls of giving free condoms to boys (or if you want, say "women/men" instead of "girls/boys").

If that person refuses to change the policy, ascertain their reasoning (they'll almost certainly have some sort of excuse), and learn if there is anyone else higher on the "blame food chain" that you can approach with this issue.  You may think of this as going through the motions, but in reality you are building legitimacy for taking your case to the media.  You have to show that you have done the investigatory work yourself, rather than being some disempowered and bitter parent who doesn't know what to do.

When you've gone as high up the food chain as possible and all the decision makers still refuse to alter this policy, call your local television station and ask to speak to someone in their newsroom.  Get a name, and if possible, try to arrange an in-person meeting.  Don't "cast your net" widely across all media outlets in your area; just pour your energy into a specific human reporter.  Identify the key issues in play here (public health, stewardship of public funds, sex-based discrimination), and be prepared to give the reporter a typewritten chronology of this whole drama, along with the names and phone numbers of the decision makers that you spoke to.

Once this one reporter decides to write on this issue, and once it is published, you now have some credibility.  Likely other local reporters will also be interested, and you will want to make yourself available to them.  Just make sure you concentrate your efforts on human beings that you actually see in person; have them meet with you and your son, and let him also tell them this story.  DO NOT send out some blanket press release.  The human touch wins, so make sure you talk to a single reporter first and sell them on the story idea.

Taking this approach will rapidly build momentum for your case.  At that point, your local officials will start feeling the pressure and will perhaps be motivated to change the policy so that condoms are distributed to boys too.  If nothing else, you will at least send a message to parents that they need to proactively approach their own kids and intervene in whatever way they deem fit, rather than assuming that their boys are being served by the school system.

Good luck!  If you get any press from this, please share it here!

Garak

So honestly, am I overreacting to this?

Cordell Walker

shard43

No fucking way dude. This sort of stuff is EXACTLY where we need to pick our small fights. I bet most parents don't even know that this sort of discrimination goes on every day under their noses.

"Too expensive" his fucking operation to remove my boot from his ass would be expensive.  :angryfire:

Garak

No fucking way dude. This sort of stuff is EXACTLY where we need to pick our small fights. I bet most parents don't even know that this sort of discrimination goes on every day under their noses.

"Too expensive" his fucking operation to remove my boot from his ass would be expensive.  :angryfire:

It was a woman I talked to, so her fucking operation to remove your boot.  :toothy9:

You know, health departments employ mostly women since women mostly get most of the free health care and don't want to deal with men.

BRIAN

Sounds about right. The woman is a victim and so she gets taxpayer paid for services for free. The man is told to get a job and pay for his own(and hers too by virue of the taxes he pays) condoms. Now switch it around and watch how quickly the NAGS file a discrimination suit. Tell you nephew to make an EO coplaint.
You may sleep soundly at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence upon those who seek to harm you.

MAUS

Just about every AIDS/HIV information centre in Canada has a punchbowl full of condoms in the reception area NO QUESTIONS ASKED and teenaged kids come in all of the time and grab a handfull.

We don't condemn or condone...we condom :laughing6:

FP

Called them, my nephew was telling the truth!

They give them to women who come in to get birth control or papsmere.

I asked if there was any condition where men could get them for free and she said only if they come in to be tested for an STD and are positive!

So let me get this straight. Women get free birth control pills and free condoms. Yet men get nothing UNLESS they are positive for an STD!!!

She said: "It was just too expensive to give them out to men".

How is this not the government giving women FULL reproductive control when they can get both the female contraceptive and the male contraceptive for FREE more readily than men can get male contraceptives for free?

It is giving them full control, for "free" as it were. What happens if the girl decides to poke holes in the condoms so the guy knocks her up?

Garak

Aug 23, 2007, 04:42 PM Last Edit: Aug 23, 2007, 04:45 PM by Pentium 4
Well, my nephew isn't into Mens Rights, he was just telling me what happened. He thought it was funny. I DID NOT!

Where I live (ND) they are out on the counter, where he lives apparently they are not.

I have no problem with the "it's too expensive" stuff. My problem is that the ones they do give out are given to FEMALES ONLY...unless a male has an STD.

It is all about women. They seem to want to give 100% reproductive control to women by giving them free birth control for both males and females. That she might punch holes in it is just one aspect. It sends the message that SHE is control of the use of contraceptives (ex, to use it or not to use it is not his choice as he isn't the one who brought it to the party) and if she did poke holes in it you can bet she will be pushing him to wear HER FREE condom not the one he BOUGHT! Men like to save money, even when horny.

They will give them to males ONLY if they have an STD. It is all about protecting women from men with STD's but otherwise, it is about women having 100% reproductive control in a sexual encounter. No matter how you look at it, they don't appear to give a shit about male reproductive rights but are all about helping to protect the woman if he has an STD.

typhonblue

I think it's even more insideous.

The idea behind it is that women need to have their precious sexuality protected. But a man only needs protection if it's necessary to protect his female partner _from him_.

I guess they believe STDs only go one way. From man to woman. And protection is only needed if you're protecting a woman from a man.

BTW, what about gay youth?

You could get him to ask the nurse why she thinks a girl needs protection, but he doesn't.

Go Up