MacKenzie

I went to college here... *sheesh*

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/today/frontpage/stories/fr042705s1.shtml

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Professor faces sex charge
Instructor at SUNY, 81, denies attack
By Kathianne Boniello
Poughkeepsie Journal

NEW PALTZ -- A SUNY New Paltz English professor arrested Monday for allegedly sexually abusing a student said he's willing to take a polygraph to prove his innocence and that the woman ''enjoyed'' the incident.

Wade C. Thompson, 81, was charged with second-degree assault, a felony, and third-degree sexual abuse for allegedly beating the student with a blunt object and subjecting her to unwanted sexual contact, New Paltz police said in a news release.

Thompson taught at the State University of New York at New Paltz for 40 years. The victim was a student in his 19th century American literature class, he said in a telephone interview Tuesday.

''No question about it, I had absolutely no business holding a tryst with a student,'' said Thompson, who added that he resigned Tuesday morning. ''I've disgraced myself and I've disgraced the college.''

However, SUNY New Paltz spokesman Eric Gullikson said Thompson was let go by the college Tuesday and is not permitted on the campus. The school learned of the incident Tuesday morning, he said.

Regarding the alleged April 19 incident at his home, Thompson insisted ''whatever happened was a voluntary undertaking on her part and enjoyed by her. I can prove it.

''We left the house together. I took her back, she kissed me goodbye and said, 'This is our little secret,' '' Thompson said. ''I'm willing to take a polygraph, I'm willing to do anything to prove she came over voluntarily. The charge is that I subjected her to sexual abuse involuntarily. ... I would never do that.''

The victim, whom Thompson would not identify, reported the incident the next day to campus police and New Paltz town police.

The woman was injured, New Paltz town police said. They also did not identify her. Police did not say how seriously she was hurt and did not respond to calls for comment Tuesday evening.

Thompson said the two had a platonic relationship until last week's incident. The married professor claimed the woman has been pursuing him for several semesters.

''This lady has been pursuing -- I can scarcely walk -- pursuing me for three semesters,'' he said. ''She's taken my classes. ... She plied me with presents: books, candy, flowers.

''She's very much obsessed with me,'' Thompson claimed. ''She just can't get me out of her system.''

Few students had heard about the allegations against Thompson Tuesday evening.

''That's horrible,'' Darleny Garay, a junior, said when she learned of the charges.

Kathianne Boniello can be reached at [email protected]

COURT DATE

Wade C. Thompson of New Paltz is due in New Paltz town court Monday on assault and sexual abuse charges.
FEMINISM IS A CULT THAT TRIES TO MAKE BOTH SEXES EQUAL BY FOCUSING SOLELY ON ONE OF THEM

Alpha Male

MacKenzie, please let us know how this turns out.

A whole bunch of this doesn't make sense to me and I believe overall points to his innocence but I've got questions:
Why would a 19 year old be pursuing an 81 year old?
What 19 year old is unable to defend herself against an 81 year old?
Quote from: "Thompson"
''No question about it, I had absolutely no business holding a tryst with a student,'' said Thompson, who added that he resigned Tuesday morning. ''I've disgraced myself and I've disgraced the college.''

Maybe. But what 81 year old man wouldn't have taken an offer of a little lovin' from some PYT? The guy is only human.
ies come in three types: Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics

Arte Grey

Lies come in three types: Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics

Fantasy is always, always better than the reality...  Which is why she probably turned on him...  Women usually do quite well when hooking up with eldery, financially secure men..  but sometimes, then reality of having to stay with them long enough to reap the benefit proves too much for the woman.  Hopefully, she wont use the courts to separate him from too much of his life's savings.  He is at an age where normally one would not worry so much about their "next job."  Maybe he can write a book and get some plugs through talk radio...
size=9]Jiminy likes chirping with the "ground crew,"  leaving the high-climbing to the "superheroes."  Jiminy sez, beware the "Black Widow" type feminist spiders that could be lurking anywhere...[/size] [size=9]Remember Mark Bogan and the "Courthouse Cricket Caper," 5/11/05 - Link...[/size][/i]

Alpha Male

I hear what you're saying there. The guy is married.  If she was planning ot hook up with him she would also have to be plotting the destruction of the existing relationship.

I shudder to contemplate the idea of her "fantasy" :vomit:
I've been through every over 70 individual I can think of and there isn't a single man or woman in the list that could hit the AM's wish list.

She is after something.

CaptDMO

In Fairness,

Professor Thompson claims he has proof of  his innocence- Well bring it on! You've been charged.

"I resigned tuesdaymorning"/"he was let go tuesday"
Oh, Ive learned what NOT to expect from collage spokesfolk.

If this took place on the 19th, why was he arrested until the 25th. Is there no proof of his innocence? Is SUNY blindly protecting this student, risking the rath of the teachers union? Is she a stalker, adoring til the situation came to fruition? Is the named victim (not accuser) holding out for an easy payoff civil suit from SUNY?

I guess my point is, Hell, I don't know. I guess I'll hold back until this plays out!

Alpha Male

Quote from: "CaptDMO"
I guess my point is, Hell, I don't know. I guess I'll hold back until this plays out!

Exactly. I think he's innocent but not all of his story makes sense (nor hers) which is why I asked MacKenzie to let us know if there is an update.

FEMINAZIHATEMARTYR

Apparently its so easy to accuse someone of sexual abuse/harrassment that its become a going concern and an easy way to make a sale with huge commissions. Universities have doled out tens of thousands at a time just to quiet things down before. Presumption of guilt pays large rewards for those who have no inhibitions telling lies.
What good fortune for government that people do not think."
                         Adolph Hitler

"Where madness rules the absurd is not far away."

We must not make the mistake of thinking that all those who eat the bread of dictatorship are evil from the first; but they must necessarily become evil....The curse of a system of terror is that there is no turning back; neither in the large realm of policies nor the 'smaller' realm of everyday human relationships is it possible for men to retrace their steps."
- Dr. Hans Bernd Gisevius
(1904-1974)

Constantine

this spoiled drunk college brat is a goldigger plain and simple

MacKenzie

Quote from: "Alpha Male"
Quote from: "CaptDMO"

Exactly. I think he's innocent but not all of his story makes sense (nor hers) which is why I asked MacKenzie to let us know if there is an update.

s'alright.

I'll watch for updates.
FEMINISM IS A CULT THAT TRIES TO MAKE BOTH SEXES EQUAL BY FOCUSING SOLELY ON ONE OF THEM

MacKenzie

This is another article that I tracked down.

I'm trying to track down the most recent article from Tuesday which has a rather loopy revelation of just what was going on...

Would you believe this 82 year old Professor and his wife(!) were both into S&M and the student was a willing particpant in this...?

Discussion of this situation at a local radio station was on the side of the Professor - even some students at the college called in to show their support of the man.    

The best part of this article is the final sentences.   :lol:

April 27, 2005

Professor accused of sexual assault

82-year-old says sex was voluntary

By Paul Brooks
  and Jeremiah Horrigan
  [email protected]
  [email protected]

New Paltz - An 82-year-old SUNY New Paltz English professor has resigned in the wake of criminal charges that he sexually abused and assaulted a female student.
  But Professor Wade C. Thompson says the sex was voluntary.
  "She much enjoyed her part," Thompson said in a telephone interview yesterday. "When she left, she left a very happy girl."
  New Paltz police arrested Thompson on one count of second-degree assault, a felony, and one count of third-degree sexual abuse, a misdemeanor.
  The female student told police the incident happened at Thompson's home on North Oakwood Terrace the morning of April 19. She said that Thompson subjected her to unwanted sexual contact and repeatedly struck her with a blunt object, which resulted in physical injuries, police said.
  Police did not release the name of the victim. Authorities could not be reached last night for further details of her account. Thompson declined to give the woman's name but disputed the police's version of the events.
  "Whatever happened was voluntary on her part," he said. "The sea change in her attitude came later. I couldn't help that. She apparently had remorse, so she is blaming me."
  The 41-year-old woman, a senior at the college, had pursued him for some time, including the three semesters he had her as a student, Thompson said. She had given him books, flowers and candy.
  "She even painted a picture and had it framed," Thompson said. "She wanted to come to me. ... How can anybody fall in love with an 82-year-old fart? It's obscene, but that's what she wanted."
  To his many friends, Thompson is the epitome of a gentleman and a scholar. He holds a doctorate from Columbia University. Years ago, his booming laugh could be heard the next block over.
  But his voice and his physical presence have diminished with age. These days, he walks with a pronounced stoop, taking tiny, careful steps, as he walks up hilly village streets.
  His arrest left his friends dumbfounded.
  "It's hard for me to imagine Wade assaulting anyone - criminal behavior is just not in his character," said his friend Suzanne Murphy.
  Thompson was arraigned before New Paltz Town Justice Judith Reichler and sent to the Ulster County Jail in lieu of $2,500 cash bail. He is due back in Town Court May 2.
  SUNY New Paltz officials also forced him to resign from the college where he has worked since 1965, he said.
  "I should never have taken her into that situation. I disgraced myself. I disgraced the college," Thompson said.
  But that is far from the end of the story for him.
 "I am a writer. I am going to write this up. I am thinking of putting this on the market," he said. "I am going to make some money on this."

Alpha Male

:oops:
Must have been tired when I read the first article.
Somehow I picked up that the student was 19 rather than that it happened on the 19th.
Oi.

Go Up