This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
IMF's Christine Lagarde 'under investigation'
IMF head Christine Lagarde says she has been placed under formal investigation for negligence in a French fraud case but has not been charged.
She has been questioned several times about her role in a 400m euro (£318m; $527m) compensation payout to businessman Bernard Tapie in 2008.
Ms Lagarde, 58, was finance minister in President Nicolas Sarkozy's government at the time of the award.
Mr Tapie supported Mr Sarkozy in the 2007 presidential election.
He was once a majority shareholder in sports goods company Adidas but sold it in 1993 in order to become a cabinet minister in Francois Mitterrand's Socialist government. He later spent eight months in jail over a football match-rigging scandal.
Mr Tapie sued Credit Lyonnais over its handling of the 1993 sale, alleging the partly state-owned bank had defrauded him by deliberately undervaluing the company.
His case was later referred by Ms Lagarde to a three-member arbitration panel which awarded the compensation.
Investigators suspect he was granted a deal in return for his support of Nicolas Sarkozy.
Ms Lagarde, who took over the role of director of the International Monetary Fund in July 2011, said last year that her decision to refer Mr Tapie's long-running dispute with Credit Lyonnais to a panel of judges was "the best solution at the time".
Although being placed under formal investigation does not necessarily lead to trial, the development could raise questions about the rest of her term at the IMF which is due to end in 2016.
She told AFP news agency she had no intention of resigning from the IMF and said she was due to return to New York later on Wednesday.
Shaun Wright is a former Labour councillor in Rotherham and was head of children's services
Rotherham child abuse: Commissioner faces calls to resign
Shaun Wright PCC for South Yorkshire Shaun Wright is a former Labour councillor in Rotherham and was head of children's services.
1,400 children abused' in Rotherham
Rotherham abuse scandal at a glance
The history of a child abuse scandal
South Yorkshire's Police and Crime Commissioner is facing calls to resign after the publication of a report into widespread child abuse in Rotherham.
The study, published on Tuesday, found at least 1,400 children in the town were sexually exploited by criminal gangs between 1997 and 2013.
PCC Shaun Wright was responsible for children's services at Rotherham Council from 2005 to 2010.
He has apologised for the authority's failings during his time in the post.
But his political rivals say he should stand down from his role in the wake of the findings being made public.
Rotherham Council leader Roger Stone quit following the publication of the report which detailed gang rapes, grooming, trafficking and other sexual exploitation on a wide scale in the South Yorkshire town.
But calls for further resignations have gathered momentum as the spotlight now turns on to others at the helm of local services during the time of the abuse.
It has emerged that no council employees would face disciplinary action, as the authority's chief executive, Martin Kimber, said there was not enough evidence to prosecute.
This is despite the report's author, Professor Alexis Jay, concluding there had been "blatant" collective failures by the council's leadership.
A victim of sexual abuse in Rotherham told BBC's Panorama: "I was a child and they should have stepped in"
Former children's minister Tim Loughton told the BBC's Newsnight that any social worker involved in the failings in Rotherham "has absolutely no place" in the care of children.
The Conservative MP claimed it was a "common theme" in sex abuse scandals that "nobody pays the consequences".
"A social worker responsible for protecting vulnerable children, to turn a blind eye to a 12-year-old having sexual relationships with a stranger twice, three times her age and to say that was consensual sex and to do nothing about it - that person has absolutely no place in anything to do with vulnerable children," he said.
Rotherham MP Sarah Champion wants an investigation into whether senior staff involved in the scandal are still working in child protection
Speaking on the same programme the Labour MP for Rotherham, Sarah Champion, said the report showed frontline staff had tried to tackle the problem but those in senior positions had failed.
"The fact that they could still be working in child protection, of course that is something that all of us are very concerned about and we need to investigate very fast," she said.
"That benign neglect of the children they're meant to be taking care of could still be going on."
Those politically opposed to former Labour councillor Mr Wright believe his position as the PCC for the South Yorkshire region is now untenable.
The leader of the Lib Dem group on Sheffield City Council, Colin Ross, said: "Lessons must be learnt and those responsible must be held to account.
"Shaun Wright was the councillor in charge of children's services at Rotherham Council and also sat on the Authority of South Yorkshire Police when both organisations knew about the level of child sexual exploitation, but chose not do anything about it.
Former Children's Minister Tim Loughton and Sarah Champion MP say they are concerned implicated staff could still be working with vulnerable children
"It's difficult to see how local people can have confidence in him to continue as our PCC."
UKIP Yorkshire and Humber MEP Jane Collins said: "I categorically call for the resignation of everyone directly and indirectly involved in this case.
"The Labour Council stand accused of deliberately ignoring child sex abuse victims for 16 years. The apologies we have heard are totally insincere and go nowhere near repairing the damage done.
"These resignations should include South Yorkshire's PCC Shaun Wright who, until his election into the post, held responsible positions with Rotherham Council."
A spokesman for Mr Wright responded: "The commissioner is pleased that the inquiry conducted by Alexis Jay finally shines a light on the errors made in relation to safeguarding children in Rotherham and that constructive action can be taken to protect young people as a result of the report and recommendations.
"The commissioner has previously apologised for the failure of Rotherham Council while he was in its cabinet from 2005 to 2010.
"He repeats that apology today and he fully accepts that there was more that everyone at Rotherham Council should have done to tackle this terrible crime."
"Butler-Sloss: I won't quit as head of abuse inquiry"
"The retired judge appointed to chair a child abuse review has insisted she will not quit - as the PM claimed she was the right person for the job.
Elizabeth Butler-Sloss was chosen by the home secretary to head the inquiry into allegations of historical abuse.
But Labour's Simon Danczuk said her position was tainted because her late brother, Sir Michael Havers, was Attorney General in the 1980s.
Downing Street said the peer "commands widespread respect and confidence".
Baroness Butler-Sloss was announced on Tuesday as head of a wide-ranging probe into how allegations of abuse by politicians and other powerful figures in public institutions such as the NHS, the church and the BBC in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s were handled.
MPs and victims claim she is too close to the establishment, particularly as Sir Michael was Attorney General at the time of the alleged paedophile scandal."
"But Alison Millar, the lawyer who represents alleged victims of child abuse, said she doubted her clients would think Lady Butler-Sloss was the right person for the job, especially given the connection with her brother.
Sir Michael faced criticism after he sought to stop Tory MP Geoffrey Dickens from naming in Parliament a top diplomat - Sir Peter Hayman - as a paedophile in the early 1980s.
But Lady Butler-Sloss said she was unaware of her brother having any role, as attorney general, in the paedophile controversy in the 1980s.
"I know absolutely nothing about it," she told the BBC. "If people think I am not suitable then that's up to them."
"Asked if she would consider her position or make further comment if calls continued for her to stand down, she added: "I am certainly not going to be talking to the BBC or anyone else about this any further."
Her nephew, the actor Nigel Havers, told BBC Radio 4's The World at One, that he knew his aunt well and he was sure that if she felt there was any chance of bias, she would not have taken on the job.
The former Chariots of Fire and Coronation Street actor, added that she had "had no political ties" to his father and knew nothing about the alleged events in the 1980s in Parliament.
"A Number 10 spokesman rebuffed suggestions the peer would be unable to investigate all areas of the abuse inquiry because of her brother's involvement in the controversy as Attorney General in the early 1980s.
The spokesman declined to say whether the PM was aware of her brother's position prior to her appointment, adding: "His view is she commands widespread respect and confidence."
The suitability of Lady Butler-Sloss did not come up at Prime Minister's Questions, although the remit of her planned inquiry did.
In response to a question from Labour leader Ed Miliband at Prime Minister's Questions, David Cameron said it "may well be time" to back calls by the NSPCC's Peter Wanless - in charge of a separate review into how the Home Office responded to child sex abuse allegations in the 1980s - to make covering up abuse a criminal offence.
Earlier Mr Danczuk, who has investigated child sex abuse allegations against former Liberal MP Cyril Smith, said the revelations of a family connection with Sir Michael meant Lady Butler-Sloss' position was compromised.
"I think the government should think again in terms of who they have appointed for this position," he said.
"I think she should consider her position. I find it quite surprising that neither she nor the government realised her relationship with her brother was connected to Geoffrey Dickens.
"It beggars belief that that wasn't considered in the first place."
"Why has this come up now?
Labour MP Simon Danczuk last week called on Leon Brittan to say what the then home secretary did with documents he was passed in the 1980s containing allegations about powerful figures and paedophilia.
What happened to the files?
Lord Brittan passed them to Home Office officials. A 2013 review found 114 documents were unaccounted for. The review found the minister had acted appropriately.
What did the papers allege?
The allegations, compiled by Tory MP Geoffrey Dickens, were set to "blow the lids off" the lives of powerful child abusers, the MP's son has said. The late Mr Dickens said he planned to expose eight such figures.
Read more: 1980s child abuse claims explained
Conservative MP Sarah Wollaston, chairman of the Commons health select committee, has also cast doubt on whether Lady Butler-Sloss can continue. She wrote on Twitter: "Not doubting her integrity but hard to see why Baroness Butler-Sloss would want to accept a role so many regard as conflicted at the outset."
Keith Vaz, Labour chairman of the Home Affairs Select Committee said he was surprised at the selection, pointing out that while Lady Butler-Sloss was "distinguished" she was also a member of the House of Lords.
Green Party leader Natalie Bennett said the peer was "categorically not the right person to lead child abuse inquiry," because of the involvement of her brother, adding: "No one should be expected to investigate a close member of their own family as part of an official enquiry. "
And Ms Millar, head of the abuse law team at Leigh Day Solicitors, urged the peer to step down.
"There needs to be not a shred of doubt that this inquiry is not an establishment cover up - and the concern really is that she is just too close to the establishment, particularly with this connection to Sir Michael Havers," she told the BBC.
Ms Millar represents some of the alleged victims of the Elm Guest House in London - the location where a number of sex abuse cases were alleged to have taken place.
But former Tory children's minister Tim Loughton stressed the inquiry was "not a one woman show" and Lady Butler-Sloss would have a panel of independently-minded people working with her.
"Frankly, I despair," he told the BBC. "We're getting to the stage where even if the Queen were asked to chair this inquiry, there would be those saying there's a conflict of interest. If I'd been the home secretary, I would've appointed Elizabeth Butler-Sloss as well.
"We need somebody who has huge integrity, who has respect, who has great independence and has the expertise and knowledge to focus this inquiry... there are few people able to do it and Elizabeth Butler-Sloss is the obvious choice."
Labour MP John Mann said "multiple copies" of Geoffrey Dickens' abuse dossier, which he passed to then Home Secretary Leon Brittan in the 1980s, had been circulated.
He claimed the only reason why people were not coming forward to say anything about them was because they were bound by the Official Secrets' Act.
"They need the gagging clause removed... they fear being prosecuted," he told the BBC."
Anon By Choice June 22, 2014 at 03:25
Growing up without a father can permanently alter the BRAIN: Fatherless children are more likely to grow up angry and turn to drugs.
Canadian scientists believe growing up in a fatherless household could have a greater impact on daughters than on sons.
They said growing up without a father could permanently alter the structure of the brain and produce children who are more aggressive.
Dr Gabriella Gobbi of McGill University in Canada said that the main impacts were seen in the prefrontal cortex.