RADAR Alert: Joseph Biden Wants to Stack the VAWA Hearing; We Say, "No Way Jose!"
On July 19th, the Senate Judiciary Committee will hold hearings on reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act. And right now, Senator Biden only wants to invite persons who will sing the praises of VAWA. In other words, he wants to have a rubber-stamp hearing.
It's crucial that the Judiciary Committee hear the truth about VAWA -- how it ignores the research about DV and grossly discriminates against men.
Two persons who have each spent over three decades researching family violence:
- Murray Straus, Ph.D., founder of the University of New Hampshire Family Research Laboratory
- Richard Gelles, Ph.D., Dean of the School of Social Policy & Practice at the University of Pennsylvania
These are the people who should be testifying on July 19, not the advocates who knowingly slant the truth and discriminate against needy DV victims.
This is Week 1 of our Shock and Awe campaign. So do this today:
We're asking you to contact the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and tell them:
"Don't let the VAWA hearing be rubber-stamp event. Invite Drs. Murray Straus and Richard Gelles to testify. And be sure to invite a male victim of DV who has been turned away by a VAWA-funded program."
The voice and FAX phone numbers of Senate Judiciary Committee members are listed below. Please send them a fax and call their office. Please try to do both.
Remember to make your points politely and respectfully. Being rude or making extreme analogies (like comparisons to Nazis) will only serve to discredit our cause.
---Senate Judiciary Committee Members
- Arlen Specter, Chairman (R-Pennsylvania), Voice: 202/224-4254, Fax: 202/228-1229
- Orrin G. Hatch (R-Utah), Voice: 202/224-5251, Fax: 202/224-6331
- Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa), Voice: 202/224-3744, Fax: 202/224-6020
- Jon Kyl (R-Arizona), Voice: 202/224-4521, Fax: 202/224-2207
- Mike DeWine (R-Ohio), Voice: 202/224-2315, Fax: 202/224-6519
- Jeff Sessions (R-Alabama), Voice: 202/224-4124, Fax: 202/224-3149
- Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina), Voice: 202/224-5972, Fax: 202/224-3807
- John Cornyn (R-Texas), Voice: 202/224-2934, Fax: 202/228-2856
- Sam Brownback (R-Kansas), Voice: 202/224-6521, Fax: 202/228-1265
- Tom Coburn (R-Oklahoma), Voice: 202/224-5754, Fax: 202/224-6008
- Joseph R. Biden, Jr. (D-Delaware), Voice: 202/224-5042, Fax: 202/224-0139
- Patrick J. Leahy (D-Vermont), Ranking Democrat, Voice: 202/224-4242,
Fax: Sen. Leahy's office won't give out his fax number.
They said to email him at [email protected].
- Edward M. Kennedy (D-Massachusetts), Voice: 202/224-4543, Fax: 202/224-2417
- Herbert Kohl (D-Wisconsin), Voice: 202/224-5653, Fax: 202/224-9787
- Dianne Feinstein (D-California), Voice: 202/224-3841, Fax: 202/228-3954
- Russell D. Feingold (D-Wisconsin), Voice: 202/224-5323, Fax: 202/224-2725
- Charles E. Schumer (D-New York), Voice: 202/224-6542, Fax: 202/228-3027
- Richard J. Durbin (D-Illinois), Voice: 202/224-2152, Fax: 202/228-0400
Date of RADAR Release: July 5, 2005
Read RADAR's analysis of the Violence Against Women Act at http://www.mediaradar.org/RADAR_Analysis_of_VAWA.pdf
To track the current status of VAWA, go to http://thomas.loc.gov
and enter the bill number.
Come to Washington DC on July 15 and join the national effort to lobby your elected officials about VAWA. See http://www.trueequality.com/index2.php
for more details.
To receive RADAR Alerts, press releases, and other special announcements, sign up for the RADAR E-lert. You can sign up for the E-lert on the RADAR home page athttp://www.mediaradar.org
Respecting Accuracy in Domestic Abuse Reporting (RADAR) is a coalition of men and women working to assure media balance and accuracy in coverage of the domestic violence issue. More information can be found at http://www.mediaradar.org