Murray: Female tennis players shouldn't get same as men

Started by Julian, Jun 26, 2006, 12:56 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

gwallan

Just to provide a statistical basis for this I had a look at the Australian Open results for this year. Bear in mind that we have equal prizemoney in this tournament. I've treated tie breakers as one game to simplify my analysis. There were 127 matches for both men and women. Unfortunately I can't find points or match durations which I think would show a more startling difference.

Men
AveSets   3.74
AveGms   35.50
AveGm/Set   9.49

Women
AveSets   2.28
AveGms   20.44
AveGm/Set   8.98
In 95% of things 100% of people are alike. It's the other 5%, the bits that are different, that make us interesting. It's also the key to our existence, and future, as a species.

BRIAN

I have an Idea, lets split the Tournaments. Play the womens tennis like they play the womens golf a month or two after the mens tournament. Mens PGA U.S. Open huge draw, womens U.S. Open not so much. I bet mens-v-womens tennis would be the same.
You may sleep soundly at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence upon those who seek to harm you.

Julian

Well I think I should be paid about about half a million bucks for this one but how about:-

Equal Pay for Equal Play.

I know it sounds a bit stupid but I'm only a male after all.

The Gonzman

Eliminate Men's and women's teams and leagues.

Gone.

Girls and boys, women and men, all play together - and since "Anything you can do, I can do better" we'll make it all under men's rules.

That'll eliminate any and all whining about "sexism."  Then it will be "Put up or shut up."
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the MEANEST son-of-a-bitch in the valley.

K9

From the McEnroe article:

"The women's final at Wimbledon last year was 45 minutes longer than the men's final

Read behind the lines. Apparently last year was the only rear in a long time, if ever before, that the women's FINAL was longer than the men's. Was there a tampon or PMS break?

"
There should be no argument when they are at the same event at the same time, that there should be equal pay," McEnroe said during a teleconference arranged by U.S. broadcaster NBC

McEnroe qualified his statement with "Same event at the same time". Is he talking mixed doubles here? If so, that's the same thing Murray and the rest of us are saying: Equal pay for equal play.

It looks to me like the author is twisitng McEnroe's QUALIFIED statement as agreeing with Williams, etc.
Explaining misandry to a feminist is like explaining "wet" to a fish.

Darth Sidious

Quote from: "K9"

Read behind the lines. Apparently last year was the only rear in a long time, if ever before, that the women's FINAL was longer than the men's. Was there a tampon or PMS break?

If I remember correctly, there were rain delays, so that could account for the disparity.  Are they going by the amount of time spent playing or the amount of time from the beginning of the match until the end of the match?

Go Up