US website sued over cheat 'slur'

Started by Julian, Jul 01, 2006, 01:04 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Julian

www.DontDateHimGirl.com features details about alleged cheats
The creator of a US website that lets women complain about men they say have wronged them is facing legal action from a featured man.

The man, a lawyer, says he has been defamed, and the website should be forced to check its facts.

The site, DontDateHimGirl.com, allows men to respond but not to get postings taken down - a policy now under review.

The website owner compares herself with a coffee shop proprietor who is not liable for her customers' gossip.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5135384.stm

alien

The website owner compares herself with a coffee shop proprietor who is not liable for her customers' gossip.

No dice fembot. You store and serve said gossip on demand. You give it persistence. Let your customers write their gossip on your walls and then you'll see how it works.

alien

If he wins, her problem becomes every moderator's worse nightmare.

BRIAN

Ooops!

They featured an attorney, someone who knows the libel laws. Too bad for them.
You may sleep soundly at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence upon those who seek to harm you.

dr e

Well, the primary purpose of a coffee shop is to serve coffee.  People may gossip while they are participating in the act of drinking coffee.  If a cup of coffee is lethal the coffee shop would be liable.  The primary purpose of her web site is to blame certain people for bad behaviors.  That is why they are there.  If she makes a mistake in who she blames then she should be liable.   She is trying to shift the ground and appear blameless.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

TheManOnTheStreet

YEa, I posted about this on false-accusers.com.  here is a site claiming a class action suit against them.

http://www.classaction-dontdatehimgirl.com/

TMOTS
The Man On The Street is on the street for a reason.......

Gungerassa

Quote from: "alien"

No dice fembot. You store and serve said gossip on demand. You give it persistence. Let your customers write their gossip on your walls and then you'll see how it works.

Yup...The site owner touts it as a database.  Looks to me like she wants to build a place like a department of motor vehicles, where women can go to investigate men before dating them.

Gungerassa

Quote from: "Julian"

The man, a lawyer, says he has been defamed, and the website should be forced to check its facts.

The site, DontDateHimGirl.com, allows men to respond but not to get postings taken down - a policy now under review.

When he's done suing her, I hope he sues the NOW gang for hate crimes against men....Y'all know all the man-bashing lies they tell.

typhonblue

If he wins what kind of precedent will this set? (And then be applied more harshly in the service and defense of women?)

FP

Quote from: "typhonblue"
If he wins what kind of precedent will this set? (And then be applied more harshly in the service and defense of women?)

I'm fairly sure other sites doing similar things with regards to more "private issues" in life has been successfully taken down. A few of the "amIhotornot" type sites etc..

Sir Farts-A-Lot

I am actually on the side of the website owner on this one. The internet should remain an unregulated medium.
quote="CaptDMO"]As history has shown us, power is NEVER bestowed, it's taken and defended. "Empowerment" is merely a bone, thrown to appease the rabble. [/quote]

Quentin0352

The whole problem is the site's REFUSAL to take down posts that are proved to be wrong from the way I read it. That would make them liable since they refuse to correct bad information and outright lies. It would be the same if my ex were to come in here posting I molested our daughter and after I sent info proving she lied in those claims and asked him to remove her post, he refused. At that point he would be liable for aiding in defamation of character against me. Now if he agreed and took it down, then he wouldn't be since he asked on good faith to the original claim and when shown it was incorrect he removed it to prevent further damage. Same as when a paper makes corrections and etc.

TheManOnTheStreet

Exactly Q.  If the have been given proof that a woman was full of shit, especially since it is so rare, then they have an obligation to remove her post.  IF they don't then I am all for shutting them down.

Other than that though, I don't want to see a regulated internet.  Just use the laws that we have on the books now when stuff like this comes up in other media outlets.  NY Times ring a bell?  Dan Rathers Anyone?

TMOTS
The Man On The Street is on the street for a reason.......

Questioner

Quote from: Julian

How completely dishonest is that?

No, she doesn't own an innocent widdle 'coffee shop' over which she has no control, she runs a website specifically intended to publish gossip. A place which openly bills itself as a resource which has dirt on people. The moral cowardice of this woman is extraordinary.

Galt

I went to that website and clicked on some profiles.

What is interesting is that some of the "complaints" involve a guy who paid for everything, paid for every date, and then cooled off towards them.  Apparently, Daddy Warbucks has to either keep paying or be subject to any and all abuse that the women can dish up.  Imagine cutting a woman down because she won't do exactly what you want - nobody wants to go there, LOL!

Actually, it's unfortunate that the women don't give their names - I'll bet this guy:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/49842

could really flip a bunch of them for sex.

Go Up