Wimbledon decide to give equal pay to women for less work

Started by brian44, Feb 22, 2007, 11:46 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

brian44

Wimbledon have decided to introduce equal pay:

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/22022007/3/wimbledon-serves-equal-pay-women.html

OK, so men have to play from between 50% to 150% more tennis to receive exactly the same prize money as women.

This is far more blatant discrimination against men than the previous situation was against women, where women got about 5% less prizemoney.

If women agree with this new situation they are saying that either men are victims of discrimation or men are physically superior to women.

I personally think they should campaign to play best of three sets like the women.

I know it's only tennis but I think it's very unjust.
It is time we began to ask who are these women who continually rubbish men. The most stupid, ill-educated and nasty woman can rubbish the nicest, kindest and most intelligent man and no one protests.

Men seem to be so cowed that they can't fight back, and it is time they did." Doris Lessing

Virtue

This isint about how much work you have to do for the same money.....this is pro sports.....Your pay is based on how much revenue you generate for the sport.......Now that womens tennis generates revenue similar to mens tennis they are getting prizes that are similar........What they do to generate that income is nearly irrelevant..............for instance if 2 sales men work for a company.......one puts in a 40 hr week and the other works less than 10 hrs a week......the 40 a week guy sells $5000 a week.......The 10 hr guy sells $600,000 a week.....guess who is going to get paid more?
Imagine waking up tomorrow to find
that unbelievably rape is now legal.

You would be freaking out, telling everyone you ran into this is crazy- something needs to be done... now!!! And then every man you told this to just very smugly and condescendingly says...

"Hey... not all men are 'like that.'"

brian44

Feb 22, 2007, 12:08 PM Last Edit: Feb 22, 2007, 12:10 PM by brian44

This isint about how much work you have to do for the same money.....this is pro sports.....Your pay is based on how much revenue you generate for the sport.......Now that womens tennis generates revenue similar to mens tennis they are getting prizes that are similar........What they do to generate that income is nearly irrelevant..............for instance if 2 sales men work for a company.......one puts in a 40 hr week and the other works less than 10 hrs a week......the 40 a week guy sells $5000 a week.......The 10 hr guy sells $600,000 a week.....guess who is going to get paid more?

It's just not the case that women's tennis generates as much money as men's tennis. For a start women's tennis hasn't got such strength in depth like the men's. So although women might fill the grandstand for the final stages of a tournament, the earlier stages are usually more empty than for the men. OK, Wimbledon is a sell-out all the time, but most tournaments are not sold out. And your salesman analogy doesn't work. Tennis players don't get a percentage of the takings for each match they play.

But really, if women had to play 50% to 150% more tennis for the same prizemoney, the shit would hit the fan BIG TIME.
It is time we began to ask who are these women who continually rubbish men. The most stupid, ill-educated and nasty woman can rubbish the nicest, kindest and most intelligent man and no one protests.

Men seem to be so cowed that they can't fight back, and it is time they did." Doris Lessing

dr e

To hell with special olympics.  Simply play co-ed and let the best player win the prize money.  If it's a woman that's fine, if it's a man that's also fine.  We are all equal right?  Act like it.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

Mr. Bad

There's a very simple answer to all of this:  Get rid of men's and women's categories and allow both men and women to compete in the same events.  There will be no problems re. pay because the pay will be independent of gender and based solely on the best athlete.

Anybody think the feminists will line-up to support this gender-neutral idea?...  ;)
"Men in teams... got the human species from caves to palaces. When we watch men's teams at work, we pay homage to 10,000 years of male achievements; a record of vision, ingenuity and Herculean labor that feminism has been too mean-spirited to acknowledge."  Camille Paglia

damnbiker

I thought the point of that article is that becuase women tennis matches generate as much revenue as mens tennis matches they should have the same prize money, which I am fine with.  If the women are only playing three sets and the men playing more (I don't watch tennis so I don't know) and people are willing to fork out the same cash to watch both then I have no problem with equal prize money.
It's not illegal to be a man...yet.

gwallan

The bulk of their revenue is from television rights. The numbers of people paying for admission is irrelevant. The TV networks do profit more from mens matches which, on average, are nearly twice as long.
In 95% of things 100% of people are alike. It's the other 5%, the bits that are different, that make us interesting. It's also the key to our existence, and future, as a species.

Tigerman

What wasn't mentioned is that because the All England Tennis Club has decided to 'go with the times' and give women equal prize money in the interests of 'equality' they will also be lavishing a substantial amount of money to bring the mens changing rooms and rest facilities up to the standard of the womens facilities which are curently far more lavish!
Well I am ASSUMING that will be the case because the 'All England Tennis Club' isn't just paying lip service to political correctness - shirley knot!!!   ::)

rantmeister

Men need a new type of courage. How is it that we'll walk into bullets if society demands it of us, but we won't stand up for ourselves? We've been so conditioned to defend and protect women that we won't call them on their bullshit on issues like this. The male tennis players should refuse to play more than 3 sets, because that's all they are paid for. Of course, they won't speak up or they would be subjected to extended media hysteria. At least a bullet is quick.

Now, I fully agree that pro athletes are entertainers and in that sense it doesn't matter to me that men are physically stronger and more capable than female athletes. In sports where women maintain their femininity (unlike basketball and some others), I've watching. When I watch Maria Sharapova play, I'm highly entertained - albeit in a way probably unintended by the All England Tennis Club. I like it that women have their own sporting events and we should encourage them to participate. This is one of the few areas I strongly disagree with Dr. Evil about. In fact, I think that calling for the elimination of women's sports in events like the Olympics damages us and generates sympathy for the poor victims of our terrible oppression. If I had a daughter I'd want her to be strong and coordinated, and I'd be happy if she had an interest in sports. That women are not as good as men is not something we need to constantly throw in their faces.

That said, I consider it completely absurd that women (driven by years of feminist influence) consider it discriminatory if female tennis players are paid less for playing fewer sets. Sure, they provide entertainment, but only about 3/5ths as much. Often times less than that. Aren't they capable of playing 5 sets like the men? Of course they are. Female runners wanted the right to participate in marathons because they claimed they had just as much endurance as men. When women demanded their own marathon, they didn't demand a marathon that was 15.7 miles instead of 26.2 miles.

This issue of paying equal amounts to both male and female tennis players is the result of the non-stop onslaught of feminist propaganda. It's part of the "comparable worth" concept that justifies equal payment for lower levels of contribution. To any men who actually buy into that, you may as well have your testes removed cause they're just dead weight you're carrying around.

And to Maria Sharapova who supports equal pay for fewer sets of tennis, yes you are really cute, but in this case you are completely full of bullshit. I am not entertained.

alien

Driven by market forces is fine with me.

dr e

Market forces would be fine with me also.

But what we have now is a variation on the "separate but equal" theme.  These people want separate divisions of men and women but they want them paid equally.  This is reminiscent of the insanity of the marathon bigots who want to pay women "winners" the same amount of money as the men's winners.  Can any man on this board even imagine coming in 15th in a race and demanding to be paid the same as the winner?  Absolutely not.  That is affirmative action on steroids and it's the same principle that is being applied to tennis.  Just imagine that white guys in the NBA were given "opportunities" for equality by making their three point shots count as 4 points for them.  Same thing.  Why do we not voice outrage at this crap?

It is amazing to me how fluid the feminists can switch their song depending on how an issue favors women.  Workplace?  Hey no separate but equal nonsense there.  We are all competing for the same jobs.  Well, then again they have "leveled that playing field" with affirmative action. 

If you want to have a woman's league of tennis that is fine with me but please don't expect to be paid the same as the best tennis players in the world who you could never compete with.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

blackmanxxx

Market forces would be fine with me also.

But what we have now is a variation on the "separate but equal" theme.  These people want separate divisions of men and women but they want them paid equally.  This is reminiscent of the insanity of the marathon bigots who want to pay women "winners" the same amount of money as the men's winners.  Can any man on this board even imagine coming in 15th in a race and demanding to be paid the same as the winner?  Absolutely not.  That is affirmative action on steroids and it's the same principle that is being applied to tennis.  Just imagine that white guys in the NBA were given "opportunities" for equality by making their three point shots count as 4 points for them.  Same thing.  Why do we not voice outrage at this crap?

It is amazing to me how fluid the feminists can switch their song depending on how an issue favors women.  Workplace?  Hey no separate but equal nonsense there.  We are all competing for the same jobs.  Well, then again they have "leveled that playing field" with affirmative action. 

If you want to have a woman's league of tennis that is fine with me but please don't expect to be paid the same as the best tennis players in the world who you could never compete with.

I  absolutely  agree !!!!

brian44

Driven by market forces is fine with me.

Have you ever been to a major tennis tournament and watched the matches in the early rounds? Well, the women's matches are usually walkovers, sometimes even two love sets: NOT ENTERTAINING. The men's matches are usually much more closely fought, sometimes with 5 hour marathons: VERY ENTERTAINING. In women's tennis you have about ten or twelve top class players in the world. In the men's you have about eighty to a hundred.  So you have men really being tested for a whole tournament, the women for the last couple of matches. The men generate more interest and more tv advertising revenue as their matches last so much longer.

I enjoy watching the top women play, but can't really remember a titanic struggle on a par with any of the really great matches I've seen from some of the men in the last three decades.

brian44

I thought the point of that article is that becuase women tennis matches generate as much revenue as mens tennis matches they should have the same prize money, which I am fine with.  If the women are only playing three sets and the men playing more (I don't watch tennis so I don't know) and people are willing to fork out the same cash to watch both then I have no problem with equal prize money.

In the earlier rounds of say, the French and US Open, you will find many more empty seats in the women's matches.  I've witnessed this myself many times. It's because they just don't have the strength in depth. So you have a situation where the men are playing much more competitive matches all throughout the tournament and much longer ones as well. As the matches are better and longer they surely must attract more tv advertising revenue.

scarbo

There was a short discussion of this on the radio yesterday. Both announcers were OK with the change; they said women's tennis is at least as popular as men's these days, they've got many big names, etc.

They mentioned at least one counterpoint to the "women play fewer sets than men": "WNBA players play the same number of minutes as men in the NBA, should they be paid the same?"

So, yes, this is much more a TV revenue issue than anything.

Go Up