Started by Teri, Mar 10, 2007, 01:22 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Teri

San Francisco Chronicle

Woman walks away from baby after giving birth on Oakland street

Jaxon Van Derbeken

Friday, March 9, 2007

(03-09) 22:43 PST OAKLAND -- After giving birth to a premature baby on an East Oakland street, police say the mother ripped the umbilical cord and walked away Friday afternoon, leaving the newborn boy dead or dying in a puddle of blood.

The 4:39 p.m. incident in the 1400 block of 65th Avenue left witnesses and veteran investigators stunned.

"It's just crazy,'' said Oakland police Sgt. Tony Jones of the homicide detail. "Once she started spitting out the baby, you have some obligation to get it some type of medical attention. She didn't do that.''

Jones said an autopsy will determine whether the child was stillborn or whether it died after being abandoned.

The mother was arrested, he said, but apparently gave a false name. She remains hospitalized at an undisclosed location and is under guard, police said.

Witnesses told police that the woman was walking on the street, stopped and pulled her pants to her ankles and gave birth on the street. "She dropped the baby, ripped the umbilical cord and kept walking,'' Jones said.

Witnesses followed the woman and pointed her out to police as she walked about two blocks from where she had given birth.

Jones said the child was born "somewhat premature'' but said the autopsy will determine how far along the child was in development. He said the woman's bizarre behavior is a mystery. "We're waiting to talk to her.''

Garak

Mar 10, 2007, 01:43 AM Last Edit: Mar 10, 2007, 02:42 AM by Pentium 4
What causes this shit to happen?

Case in point, Mother gives birth to child, stabs it in the neck: http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/11194605/detail.html
I will stop staring at your boobs when you stop staring at my paycheck!

fruit_cake

there isnt enough information in the article - if it was still born, the girl could have been in a total state of shock. giving birth in the street, and finding out your child is dead could lead you to do lots of crazy things.

dr e

Fruitcake is correct.  We need more information.  There are times when women are told that their baby is dead but they must carry it to term.  Unusual but it does happen.  Give her the benefit of the doubt first.  Then pass judgement. 
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

CaptDMO

there isnt enough information in the article - if it was still born, the girl could have been in a total state of shock. giving birth in the street, and finding out your child is dead could lead you to do lots of crazy things.

Fruitcake is correct.  We need more information.  There are times when women are told that their baby is dead but they must carry it to term.  Unusual but it does happen.  Give her the benefit of the doubt first.  Then pass judgement. 

(slow incredulous drumming of fingers on desk...)

Mr. Nickle

At the very least she should be charged for littering!
Don't mention the war! - Basil Fawlty

The Biscuit Queen

Mr Nickle, you are naughty!

This is horrible, I do wonder what what wrong with her. That is NOT normal behavior. Drugs maybe?
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

LovelyGirlinND

Mr Nickle, you are naughty!

This is horrible, I do wonder what what wrong with her. That is NOT normal behavior. Drugs maybe?

You are absolutely correct on the above stated.  That isn't normal behavior.  Makes you wonder what exactly was going through this woman's mind when this was all happening.  The article never said anything about any of the whitnesses picking up the baby after the woman left.....  Clearly something was off with this woman, since any "normal" woman would be trying to get to a hospital or at least somewhere more comfortable to give birth, reguardless of whether she knew the baby was going to be still-born or not (as stated in another post about her knowing or not, and not enough info given). 

It's a horrible thing to hear of things like this happening.  But it makes reality a little more clear in the world we are living in. 

Garak

Mar 10, 2007, 06:55 PM Last Edit: Mar 10, 2007, 07:19 PM by Pentium 4
I can't imagine any NORMAL woman leaving a newborn baby, stillborn or not, on the streets.

Ask yourselves, would any of you do that?
I will stop staring at your boobs when you stop staring at my paycheck!

LovelyGirlinND

Leaving her baby on the street is just as bad as any other woman leaving her baby to die in a trashcan!  I remember the first time I had ever heard about something like that.  That was quite a few years ago, but it was when a high school student gave birth at her prom.  IN THE MIDDLE OF HER PROM!!! She went into the girl's bathroom and gave birth to her baby (and no one even knew she was pregnant), and the threw her baby away in the garbage, like it was no big deal!  Now this woman leaving her baby on the streets just did it a little more publicly.  No, that certainly is not normal behaviour, as is any other incident when a woman leaves her baby to die somewhere, reguardless of where it's at. 

And, No, I won't be joining those women who give birth to their baby and leaving him/her to die.

Teri

I'd bet she was high on drugs.  That's probably the reason for the premature birth.  Or she could have been a mentally ill homeless person.  We have a lot of drug addicts and homeless people in Cali, especially in cities like Oakland.

Stabbed the baby in the neck?  Jesus! 

Or how about the woman who cooked her baby?

Or the one who microwaved hers?

Or the one who cut off her baby's arms?

God...

poiuyt

If society says to her "its your property"

... then its her perogative to do as she pleases with it. No ?

The Biscuit Queen

So much for only men hurting those weaker than themselves. Sounds to me like a HUMAN trait.
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

Go Up