Woman 'flattered' by boy's attention

Started by alien, Mar 29, 2007, 04:23 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

alien

Woman 'flattered' by boy's attention
Steve Butcher
March 29, 2007 - 8:10AM

A woman's crime in having sex once with a 15-year-old boy was different from the six-week affair Melbourne school teacher Karen Ellis had with a boy of similar age, a court heard.

Diana Nicole Bennett's lawyer said that unlike Ellis, the boy with whom she had intercourse was not under her care, supervision or authority.

The County Court heard yesterday that in January 2005, Bennett, a voluntary worker, then 28, had sex with the boy who had telephoned her at home one morning and invited her to his house. Judge Lance Pilgrim was told they had been friends for about six months and that the boy had earlier promised to give her a kiss for Christmas.

After the Department of Human Resources notified police from a sexual offences and child abuse unit in February, 2005, the boy declined to make a statement, as did his parents.

Prosecutor Bill Dwyer said in his summary that Bennett later admitted she had a problem with binge drinking and on that morning she was drunk from the night before. Mr Dwyer said Bennett, who usually drank three bottles of  vodka neat a week, told police she only took up the boy's invitation because she was drunk.

The pair began fondling each other and undressed before having sex, which was interrupted when a friend of the boy -- who later approached police -- entered the room. Bennett said in a record of interview with police that she saw herself as being like an older sister to the boy and was "flattered someone of his age found her sexually attractive".

Defence lawyer Richard Backwell said at the time Bennett was a depressed, lonely and vulnerable alcoholic who had sought "attention, adoration and admiration". He said three weeks after the incident, she voluntarily contacted police to make full admissions without which a case could not have been mounted.

Mr Backwell submitted that while there were similarities in the cases of Bennett and Ellis -- the boys were similarly aged and each woman was previously of good character and remorseful -- his client's offence was not premeditated.

Bennett, now 30, pleaded guilty to one charge of taking part in an act of sexual penetration with a child under 16.

Judge Pilgrim said it was in her interests to adjourn sentencing for a further medical report and to prepare a report for a community based order.

Photo: John Woudtsra

TheManOnTheStreet

GAWG!  Fake boobs, fake nails, fake eyebrows, tons of makeup... and even her nose looks funny.....

MAN!  That CHILD, yes CHILD was one lucky son or a gun eh?

TMOTS
The Man On The Street is on the street for a reason.......

damnbiker

Something interesting that I noted in this article

Bennett, now 30, pleaded guilty to one charge of taking part in an act of sexual penetration with a child under 16.

It's interesting the way they are applying this law.  One would initiall expect that the "act of sexual penetration" would only be applicable to an adult male being charged.  I like the fact that the courts recognize there is a risk in allowing a male child to sexually penetrate an adult woman.  If she became preganant his future would be dramatically compromised.

However, as we would all excpect:

Judge Pilgrim said it was in her interests to adjourn sentencing for a further medical report and to prepare a report for a community based order.  

No doubt because:

Defence lawyer Richard Backwell said at the time Bennett was a depressed, lonely and vulnerable alcoholic who had sought "attention, adoration and admiration". He said three weeks after the incident, she voluntarily contacted police to make full admissions without which a case could not have been mounted.

Just imagine if a man said "well, you see, I was drunk and had some self esteem issues.  I really thought that having sex with that 15 year old girl would make me feel better.  I just wanted to know that some young girl would find me attractive.

Oh, and if you think she was taking full responsibility because of what her defense attorney said, don't forget:

The pair began fondling each other and undressed before having sex, which was interrupted when a friend of the boy -- who later approached police -- entered the room.

I'm sure the witness that was about to come forward had nothing to do with her cathartic revelation that she should confess to her crime and co-operate with the authorities.
It's not illegal to be a man...yet.

Quentin0352

Drunk? Doesn't that mean he raped her since she obviously could not give consent!

That they are even doing this much to her is amazing to be honest and somewhat encouraging though I doubt a man would get anything close to the same treatment using the same excuses.

gwallan

Something interesting that I noted in this article

It's interesting the way they are applying this law.  One would initiall expect that the "act of sexual penetration" would only be applicable to an adult male being charged.  I like the fact that the courts recognize there is a risk in allowing a male child to sexually penetrate an adult woman.  If she became preganant his future would be dramatically compromised.

Laws were amended in Victoria to allow for this in about '96. We have yet to imprison a woman however. The only time a custodial sentence was given in the past the govt intervened, after pressure from feminist groups, and changed it to a suspended sentence.
In 95% of things 100% of people are alike. It's the other 5%, the bits that are different, that make us interesting. It's also the key to our existence, and future, as a species.

CaptDMO

GAWG!  ...etc
TMOTS
Emm..... a bit close to the edge there.
Just be glad  there's the rare photo for the pizza box.

brian44

The world seems to be full of dirty old women.
It is time we began to ask who are these women who continually rubbish men. The most stupid, ill-educated and nasty woman can rubbish the nicest, kindest and most intelligent man and no one protests.

Men seem to be so cowed that they can't fight back, and it is time they did." Doris Lessing

outdoors

any crime by a woman is less and justified, than a crime by a man which is more and unjustified-surprised the kid hasn't been charged with rape yet .

LSBeene

Ya know, I may get burned for saying this, but hear me out:

I can understand why someone would be attracted to some 15 year old hottie (boy or girl).  Now, that said, I would be PHYSICALLY attracted, but WTF would I TALK to them about after the sex?

I mean, there are some SERIOUSLY overdeveloped girls/boys out there these days.  Scary scary.  But after the sex, what COMMON INTERESTS would we have?!

She did not have a "relationship" with him .... what restaurant did they frequent?  What did they do involving her friends?  No, this was a CLANDESTINE meeting for the express purpose of SEX.

Steven
'Watch our backs at home, we'll guard the wall over here. You can sleep safe tonight, we'll guard the door."

Isaiah 6:8
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

TheManOnTheStreet

It is rape.  Plain and simple.

Well, actually if a man did it anyhow....

TMOTS
The Man On The Street is on the street for a reason.......

The Biscuit Queen

There is a huge difference between being flattered someone finds you attractive, and sleeping with them. It is more of a chasm, sort of like the Grand Canyon. She is not a dirty old women for feeling flattered, she is a rapist for sleeping with a 15 year old. It does not change the crime that she did it because she was flattered, quite frankly that is irrelevant.
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

brian44

She is not a dirty old women for feeling flattered, she is a rapist for sleeping with a 15 year old. It does not change the crime that she did it because she was flattered, quite frankly that is irrelevant.

No, she is not a dirty old woman for feeling flattered, she is a dirty old woman for sleeping with an underage boy. When mature men show an interest in young (not even underaged) females they are very often accused of being dirty old men. If this site is anything to go by there are a hell of a lot of dirty old women out there.
It is time we began to ask who are these women who continually rubbish men. The most stupid, ill-educated and nasty woman can rubbish the nicest, kindest and most intelligent man and no one protests.

Men seem to be so cowed that they can't fight back, and it is time they did." Doris Lessing

Go Up