As for arming students or staff at a major university, you gotta be kidding me. People are, without a doubt, in general, fucking stupid. They would kill each other before they could be of any use in a situation like this. Every major university has a police department. While they might not be the cream of the law enforcement crop, they do have training and tactics on their side.
Yes so they should not be allowed to drive cars, use knives or power tools, procreate. How Hobbsean.
BTW I want to make a challenge. Can anyone name one thing that has been successfully banned with laws? One thing that people wanted that was fairly easy to get that was successfully and completely removed from society even under the most draconian laws. The claim is if guns were illegal, no one would have guns. So lets take a look at that track record shall we:
1. Cocain is illegal. If you have cocain you get arrested. Has that stopped cocain use? Can we safely say no one has cocain today because cocain is illegal with stiff sentences and jail time?
2. Prostitution is illegal in most places. Has it stopped?
3. if abortion were illegal today would that stop abortion?
4. If homosexuality were illegal today would it stop homosexuality.
5. We have draconian measures at airports. Has that truly stopped anything?
6. The ex-soviet union had draconian laws and was one of the biggest police states in history with secret police and legal spying. But people still had guns, drugs, prostitution and political decent. Did even gulag time or death penalty stop these things?
7. Alchohol was illegal. We even had an alchohol ammendment making it unconstitutional to have alchohol. Did that stop alchohol?
8. We have the largest consentual crime population in the world. So we toss millions of gun owners into prison simply because they own an object? All these law abiding citizens in jail for doing nothing wrong other than owning something they choose to own? Wow, and that won't make people angry?
9. Even if all guns are illegal and scooped up and destroyed, people will still get guns. They will ship them in, get them from Mexico, rob the military or the police. National Guard armories are robbed all the time. And this doesn't include all the government officials and police and military who will sell guns on the black market.
So I put this challenge out to all the anti-gun people. Name ONE THING that has ever been banned even under the most draconian laws, that has ever been eliminated or reduced so low as to be a non-issue. That no one was able to get anyway.
BTW there was a kid last year who killed a few people on campus by driving his car onto campus and ramming them. Should we ban cars?