A question about women in general

Started by Garak, May 01, 2007, 07:38 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Garak

I am an accountant and I monitor my accounts (and my clients) closely to avoid wasting money on bank charges.

However, I have noticed that every woman I have ever known....they cannot seem to comprehend the advantages of careful financial monitoring.

Is this just nitpicking from an accountant or are women really more irresponsible with money? Opinions?
I will stop staring at your boobs when you stop staring at my paycheck!

sethay

My wife is more responsible with money then I am.

Garak

May 01, 2007, 07:55 PM Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 08:03 PM by Pentium 4

My wife is more responsible with money then I am.

That has not been my experience. My current GF, her friend and even my ex-wife seem to not be able to avoid bouncing checks and then I have to come in and reconcile their M$ Money file so they know what they have to spend in the future (till they screw it up again).

Apparently, it is easy to spend money but typing those transactions into M$ Money is too much work! I call that irresponsible.

My gosh, the tools available to people these days are so easy to use...yet...oh nevermind.
I will stop staring at your boobs when you stop staring at my paycheck!

JackBauersPowerHour

Good money management is kind of hit or miss depending on lots of circumstances

- Family
- Life experience
- Circumstances

If your parents teach you about managing money, you have a bit of a head start. If you had to work three jobs to pay for college, I think you think about the world differently in terms of money. Circumstances is rough. I know some kids in high school who had to work part  time jobs after school to help their folks with the bills. That has to be an eye opener.

I would say gender is kind of a non issue except in the fact that men have to work, thats their only real option, women can do other things like pop out a bunch of kids. If you work, you are more likely to be more conservative with your spending, than if you have no concept of where that cash came from at all.

The best advice I can give anyone is to not hook up with someone out of college. Because the girl is going to work three years, enough to secure the down payment on a house, try to get pregnant and then once she's knocked up, it's game over. She'll have a second child soon and then she doesn't have to really work again ever.

There is alot of deep seeded fear and shame about money that most people don't talk about. I think gender really isn't an issue, you just happen to run into more women who don't have it together.

JBPH

neonsamurai

One of my mates (who had an IQ of about 145-149) had no common sense when it came to money. He'd get a bonus and spend it on a downpayment for a car (or something), the rest of my friends seemed to have much better idea about the value of money.

However, I must say that I've never dated a woman with more monetary sense than I. One girl I dated (career girl with a very well paying job) had EIGHT maxed out credit cards, which I guess was probably to the tune of about $50,000. I told her she should pay them off, but her justification for them that she could afford to pay the minimum monthly payment on them all!

Some girls are great with money and investments, but I've never dated one.
Dr. Kathleen Dixon, the Director of Women's Studies: "We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech!"

The Biscuit Queen

I am a complete ditz when it comes to money, but my best friend has her checkbook so organized she always knows to the cent how much money she has.

I think it probably depends on the person.
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

damnbiker

My own personal experience has shown me that this isn't really a gender thing.  I know both men and women who are really, really bad at managing their money and I know both women and men that are really, really good at managing their money.
It's not illegal to be a man...yet.

Mr. Bad

My own personal experience has shown me that this isn't really a gender thing.  I know both men and women who are really, really bad at managing their money and I know both women and men that are really, really good at managing their money.

My experience is the same as damnbiker.
"Men in teams... got the human species from caves to palaces. When we watch men's teams at work, we pay homage to 10,000 years of male achievements; a record of vision, ingenuity and Herculean labor that feminism has been too mean-spirited to acknowledge."  Camille Paglia

dr e

Ditto Bad and Biker.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

brian44

It's funny, but in the UK women are more likely to be in control of the family pursestrings, making more financial decisions than the man. It was that revelation, over twenty years ago, that contributed to the way advertising changed to try to appeal more to women than men. Maybe that's why men here have been ridiculed longer than anywhere else?
It is time we began to ask who are these women who continually rubbish men. The most stupid, ill-educated and nasty woman can rubbish the nicest, kindest and most intelligent man and no one protests.

Men seem to be so cowed that they can't fight back, and it is time they did." Doris Lessing

Mr. X

I think that's a generalization myth about women. My secretary is excellent with our books and she's a woman.

I do think someone can be frugal but still not keep good books. That's me. I just don't buy new cars or spend money or new items. I'll buy a used car or a used TV over a new one any day unless I can plop down the cash out right and not make car payments.

I have seen people keep excellent books but are very stupid about money. My business partner is like that. He checks his books everyday and looks at what category each cent belongs in but then ups and buys a $2000 washer and dryer. I spent $300 on a used set that I could literally throw out if I had to.

So I think this is a person by person issue and not dependant on sex organs.
Feminists - "Verbally beating men like dumb animals or ignoring them is all we know and its not working."

brian44

So I think this is a person by person issue and not dependant on sex organs.

There must be another reason why they are more likely to control the purse strings in the UK then.
It is time we began to ask who are these women who continually rubbish men. The most stupid, ill-educated and nasty woman can rubbish the nicest, kindest and most intelligent man and no one protests.

Men seem to be so cowed that they can't fight back, and it is time they did." Doris Lessing

JackBauersPowerHour

In terms of "financial legacy" I think we haven't quite seen the full impact of all these divorces in America yet.

Children emulate what they see everyday. If parents smoke, there are stronger odds the children will grow up to smoke. Parent is a single parent, there is a decent chance the daughter will grow up to be a single mother herself. If parents stress money management the right way, good chance the child will grow to see money in a healthy way. If parents are always fighting about money, yelling about money, destroying each other about money, there theres a decent chance the child will have alot of stigmas and shame and pain that comes with money.

We all know marriage rates and birth rates are down. Children have grown up from divorced families and said "Hey screw this, I grew up with that mess and since its a 50-60 percent chance I'll get whacked in a divorce myself, just forget about it" Oddly enough, I know many women now, not as many as men, but more women than I'd imagine who are not all that thrilled about the idea of marriage. Does marriage punish the male more often when it falls apart? Yes. But marriage also punishes the person with money too. Divorce is a cash cow and greed often knows no gender when it steamrolls people. So there are wealthy women out there getting hosed too, they just get hosed in such small small numbers, no one hears about them.

I think it's a little disconcerting to think there's a whole generation of kids growing up and equate Needing Money = Make  A Phone Call To Divorced Daddy Living On Buddies Couch And Nagging Him Incessantly For It. It's kind of a painful thing for me to see that so many kids see Bitching & Whining = Getting What You Want. That teaches kids nothing about life. Unfortunately feminism is all about Bitching & Whining to get what you want.

I think alot of our financial values are rooted in from our childhood. Can most of us overcome them with time? Sure. But I think its undeniable that there are things in our past that shape the way we see money today. They say it takes a village to raise a child. I think it takes two parents who care and are on the ball to teach children about how to handle their money. Schools won't do it. The government won't do it. Big corporations won't do it. They want mindless consumers and drones to serve them.

Theres one thing I think alot of people didn't account for about money management and raising kids that I see more now everyday. If you fuck up your kids. If you emotionally and physically steamroll your kids, you could have a trainwreck of a person on your hands. Someone who can't sustain themselves either emotionally or financially. Without a doubt, I find many abusive parents often find that karma kicks them in the ass later. They have to live with the legacy of their choices many years down the road. I know a woman who beat her daughter mercilessly when I was in elementary school. Everyone knew this kid was getting popped. But this was a time before children had as many real/fake protections that they do now. This girl grew up and can't hold a job. She's in an out of mental institutions. I think she might have some developmental issues too. Her mother is still taking care of her. I don't know if I could live with that myself, knowing I screwed up my kids then I have to eat the bad karma of never being free of them if I didn't want them and wanted them gone. Sometimes it crosses my mind that if that mother took the time to raise her child right - even if deep down she realized she didn't want kids, that kid was a mistake for her and she wanted the kid gone as soon as possible - that she could probably be free of her child now. I bet she regrets every punch to the face she gave her daughter now.

I think money management is the same way. Kids are going to grow up knowing nothing and their parents aren't going to teach them and that karma is going to come back and nail those parents eventually in the end.

JBPH

Go Up