Revisionist History

Started by Marvin, Sep 21, 2002, 08:26 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Marvin

I noticed a mention of the book "Lies My Teacher Told Me" in another thread.  I am in the process of reading this book and find it very interesting.  

My question is, is it fair or right to judge other generations by our generation's standards?  Much of the revisionist history looks at history or a period in history in a modern mindset.  Do you feel that this is an accurate way to measure history?

Marvin

DavidByron

By revisionist you just mean ... what? Lefty?

It seemed like most of the examples were actually going back to the basics of what was happening at the time.  As in "history".  For example it isn't just a modern day concept that what Columbus did to the Arawaks was immoral.  At the time of the settlement of New England the facts about he Plague were well known - it's only in the American text books that it disappears.  Again the perspectives put forward in the chapter on the Civil War were perspectives of the time which were eliminated.

How far have you got with the book?
size=9]I am the victim of unregulated sarcasm[/size]

Marvin

By revisionist I mean only questioning the standard history book version and interpretation of events.

I should finish the book sometime this weekend.  I'll get back to you on my opinion of the book.  

Marvin

DavidByron

Do you mean questioning the standard "history" as presented by the highschool history texts that he is criticising?  Or do you mean questioning the accademic secondary-sources that he accepts as accurate?  

The whole point of the book is that these two are quite different.

Part of the point is that the truth is quite easily available and is often even written by the same people who are writting complete crap into the highschool civics and social science text books.

Actually I wonder if they still do it.  I know I have a civics book or two knocking around.  I think they are college books though, although god knows they read like highschool books to me when I was reading them so perhaps that's what they were.  But the book isn't very old is it?  It's talking about the 90's.
size=9]I am the victim of unregulated sarcasm[/size]

Go Up