And why not. If there exists no negative effect from abortion and positive encouragement then the numbers will go up.
1. Abortion is encouraged by various groups and the state as a viable solution to a baby "problem".
2. Abortion is encouraged to be acceptable, not just tolerated, but acceptable to the point of websites with stories from women boasting they don't feel guilty.
3. Access to abortion is made easy and inrestricted.
4. Negative comments about abortion are thoroughly discouraged.
5. In some cases the state even pays for abortion and pro choice groups continue to push for state funded abortions.
6. Even the catholic church is pressured to accept abortion and not condemn it.
So can anyone name one negative aspect of getting an abortion that society or the state promotes? If its easy to get one, no guilt, no objections and literally free then why would women not use this as their primary means of birth control? Why bother with the pill or with diaphrams and condoms. One rarely gets pregnant and its just a trip to the McAbortion clinic to suck the little trouble maker out. BAM! Problem solved. Plus getting pregnant is power since the female can compel the father to pay child support if she decides to keep the child.
Now as a semi-libertarian I accept that technically the woman can abort the fetus because technically she owns her body and can do what she wants. If she wants to cut off her fingers, thats her business.
But one area I am in a dilema about is proportionality. Proportionality talks about not shooting a kid to death for stealing a pack of gum from your store. You use only the equal amount of force against the crime. In the gum case the store owner would make the kid pay for the gum.
So with abortion I think the woman has the right to remove the fetus. I do NOT believe she has the right to call for its death. First trimester abortions result in death because there is no other way to remove the fetus but, what of a 7 month fetus that can live outside the womb. Can the woman call for the death of the fetus or merely call for its removal.
I think there is a BIG difference between the right to seperate oneself from a fetus vs thinking one has a right to actually kill the fetus. I think all the female has the right to do is disconnect herself and killing a 7 month old fetus would be like shooting a kid for stealing gum.