previous topic - next topic
Go Down

neoteny

Link to article

Woman sues over NYC pipe explosion

Woman sues over NYC pipe explosion
By FRANK ELTMAN, Associated Press Writer
Tue Jul 24, 11:19 AM ET

MELVILLE, N.Y. - A woman whose sister died in the Sept. 11 attacks filed a lawsuit over last week's steam pipe eruption in Manhattan, saying Tuesday that the explosion brought back horrible memories.

Francine Dorf's lawsuit accuses Consolidated Edison of negligence, saying the utility didn't properly maintain the pipe that ruptured outside her office and sent a geyser of steam, mud and asbestos-tainted debris over the neighborhood near Grand Central Terminal.

"I thought a building was going to collapse," said Dorf, 52, a legal secretary. She is seeking unspecified damages.

Dorf's attorney, Kenneth Mollins, said Dorf suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder and "a legacy of fear" from the 2001 attacks. He said the lawsuit is intended to force Con Ed to improve maintenance of its infrastructure.

Her sister, Maria La Vache, was an employee of insurer Marsh & McLennan and was on the 99th floor of the north tower of the World Trade Center when it collapsed. Her body was never recovered.

Dorf said she called her brother and mother after the steam pipe rupture last Wednesday to say goodbye.

"I can't sleep, I can't eat. If I lay down I can see the smoke," she said. "And I think of my sister over and over again. What she must have went through on 9/11."

A Con Ed spokesman said the utility does not comment on pending litigation.

----

Pretty rich...  :toothy9:
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

neonsamurai

I'm surprised that she's not suing the aviation authority for all those passenger jets she hears flying over.
Dr. Kathleen Dixon, the Director of Women's Studies: "We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech!"

BRIAN

Who knows maybe she does have PTSD but suing the utility company for it? I suspect the lady would have sued the airlines if congress had not exempted them from litigation related to the September 11th attacks.....Always follow the money.
You may sleep soundly at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence upon those who seek to harm you.

K9

He said the lawsuit is intended to force Con Ed to improve maintenance of its infrastructure.

So, of course the lawsuit contains no monetary damages; just a request to force  con ed to upgrade the infrastructure?
Explaining misandry to a feminist is like explaining "wet" to a fish.

Nillerz

I remembered someone who died! Oh gy mod!
Evolution doesn't stop at the neck.

woof

I am woman, hear me roar!
Even a whole village can't replace dad, children need both parents.

Johnny

The West has been worshiping at the altar of the lawsuit as a 'jackpot justice' system for far too long. I would bag this 'woman' and fly her over Tehran and kick her out of the plane. The result would most entertaining.
Openly Straight.

Go Up