Modesty

Started by KellyMac, Aug 26, 2007, 03:50 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

realman

"That's not empowerment, ladies. That's just slutty. In other words, if you act like a slut, expect to be treated as one."

A spade is a spade. A slut is a slut. If your actions are those of a slut, YOU are a slut. Deal with it, ladies.

As much as I don't think women should withold sex as a "tool" to get things from men, or as a reward/punishment system; and as much as I think sex is aperfectly healthy activity in the right context; I just can't be OK with the idea of hopping from bed to bed.

But to each their own; just don't expect anyone to treat you like a lady when you've exchanged DNA with 40 different men. And don't expect ME to want to share my DNA (much less my mind, emotions, and soul) with you....

Virtue

Nothing new here nothing that hasn't been repeated Ad nausem ....The question is how do we MOTIVATE the general populace to DO something.

Thats the real question.
Imagine waking up tomorrow to find
that unbelievably rape is now legal.

You would be freaking out, telling everyone you ran into this is crazy- something needs to be done... now!!! And then every man you told this to just very smugly and condescendingly says...

"Hey... not all men are 'like that.'"

KellyMac

Seems to me, the modesty movement IS doing something.

neoteny

Game theory predicts that once the majority of players engage in an arms race by following their dominant strategy en masse, it becomes a good (well paying) strategy to defect into the other direction.

When most of the girls/women up the ante by becoming 'slutty' (and 'reclaiming' the word by refusing to show shame when their antisocial behaviour is pointed out to them) then it "starts to pay" to be modest; as there is a certain amount of (never disappearing) demand for modest behaviour on the side of men, some girls/women are going to realize that they can get a better bargain by self-censoring themselves, ie. by not engaging in (openly) 'slutty' behaviour.
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

shiva

@ neoteny:

When most of the girls/women up the ante by becoming 'slutty' (and 'reclaiming' the word by refusing to show shame when their antisocial behaviour is pointed out to them) then it "starts to pay" to be modest; as there is a certain amount of (never disappearing) demand for modest behaviour on the side of men, some girls/women are going to realize that they can get a better bargain by self-censoring themselves, ie. by not engaging in (openly) 'slutty' behaviour.

Agree.

Just wondering, how is being slutty antisocial? I'd call it overly "social." And the word slut has been completely reclaimed, because so many men and women are happy to call themselves sluts. They think it's empowering. However, many people still view it with contempt. 

IMO, a modest woman has a lot more power than a sold-out-slut. You can't share yourself with that many people and still have that 'something' about you; it's like a glow that gets worn off from whorish behavior. No, not a virgin-mary-glow, kinda more like a new product shine, straight out the packet and undamaged. I suppose they'd call it virtue back in the day, although I don't actually see this virtue per se. Personally I think being a whore is damaging for both genders, with the almost-amusing symptom of addled brains. Ever talked to a true slut of either gender? There's nothing upstairs.
The above is the individual opinion of shiva. Unless stated otherwise, it's just an opinion; please do not confuse with a certified expert's individual opinion.

neoteny

Just wondering, how is being slutty antisocial?

Because of the sheer amount of shit-disturbing the behaviour can cause.
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

bachelor tom

It's a return to the law of the jungle: sexiness attracts the alpha males who mate with multiple partners, while the beta males remain unsocialized troublemakers. 

Growing decadence in society seems to lead to primitivism, which leads to social breakdown.
political correctness = patriarchal chivalry + matriarchal victimology

neoteny

It's a return to the law of the jungle: sexiness attracts the alpha males who mate with multiple partners, while the beta males remain unsocialized troublemakers. 

Growing decadence in society seems to lead to primitivism, which leads to social breakdown.

Thank you; exactly my point.

Pat Kibbon

Quote from: bachelor tom
...beta males remain unsocialized...

...except that beta males 'partner' with beta, gamma, delta, and even down to omega females who can't attract alphas.
"We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paper work is overwhelming."

neoteny

Quote from: bachelor tom
...beta males remain unsocialized...

...except that beta males 'partner' with beta, gamma, delta, and even down to omega females who can't attract alphas.

Nope. Alphas are willing to pounce on any female; among sea lions only 15% of males sire all the offsprings.

realman

"IMO, a modest woman has a lot more power than a sold-out-slut. You can't share yourself with that many people and still have that 'something' about you; it's like a glow that gets worn off from whorish behavior. No, not a virgin-mary-glow, kinda more like a new product shine, straight out the packet and undamaged. I suppose they'd call it virtue back in the day, although I don't actually see this virtue per se. Personally I think being a whore is damaging for both genders, with the almost-amusing symptom of addled brains. Ever talked to a true slut of either gender? There's nothing upstairs."

I guess it all depend son the individual and the cirumstance. If we're talking about raw desire to mate, it doesn't much matter. If we're talking about having a relationship... how can the sexual aspect of a relationship ever be special or ever be a "bond" when it has been spread around and shared so much?

as for what's "upstairs", my take is just that it takes a certain depth, awareness, and consciousness to override the "urge". Those who have this can differentiate, see consequences, and make conscious decisions that go against the raw instinctual urges; those who do not process "actions- feelings-consequences", or are nopt very good at evaulating these things, are much more likely to "shoot first, ask questions later".

BRIAN

Aug 31, 2007, 06:36 PM Last Edit: Aug 31, 2007, 06:38 PM by BRIAN
What hold a woman accountable for the way she dresses and behaves? The hell you say! You are obviously a shill for the male opressor. :laughing6:

The thing is I have never thought showing lots of skin in public was all that sexy. Yes I would look but more along the lines of a passing glance. I have always liked the well dressed put together look for women, and thought it was far sexier than the tawdry strumpet look. But I remember the days when a woman did not wear a tank top, flip flops or a sundress to work and then demand to be taken seriously by male co-workers.
You may sleep soundly at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence upon those who seek to harm you.

devia

People have the right to dress the way they want. I may not enjoy seeing a guy with his pants down showing his boxers but he has the right to dress that way.

Granted I'd never date a guy dressed like that but others would... to each their own. Free choice.

Mr. Nickle

but Devia, they guy with the pants hanging down does not have an army of male voices behind him screaming "DON'T JUDGE ME! DON'T OOGLE ME! STOP EYE-RAPING ME YOU DIRTY, FILTHY WOMAN!"
Don't mention the war! - Basil Fawlty

dr e

but Devia, they guy with the pants hanging down does not have an army of male voices behind him screaming "DON'T JUDGE ME! DON'T OOGLE ME! STOP EYE-RAPING ME YOU DIRTY, FILTHY WOMAN!"

Yeah.  And they don't have an entire legal system in place to give them money and punish anyone who dares to look too long and hard.

Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

Go Up