Lavish Lifestyles on the Upper East Side

Started by Tony Ananda, Oct 27, 2007, 03:35 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Tony Ananda

Did you read the one about the 25-year-old woman and the investment banker? It is a bit of a New York morality tale, but Howard Stern made it a national one by reading it on his program. Though it has been cited around a number of places, you can find the whole story online, from which the following excerpts come.

http://www.howardlindzon.com/?p=2725

THIS APPEARED ON CRAIG'S LIST... I'm a beautiful (spectacularly beautiful) 25 year old girl. I'm articulate and classy... I'm looking to get married to a guy who makes at least half a million a year. I know how that sounds, but keep in mind that a million a year is middle class in New York City... Are there any guys who make 500K or more on this board?... I dated a business man who makes average around 200-250. But that's where I seem to hit a roadblock. 250,000 won't get me to central park west. I know a woman in my yoga class who was married to an investment banker and lives in Tribeca, and she's not as pretty as I am, nor is she a great genius. So what is she doing right?... Here are my questions specifically:... What are you looking for in a mate? Be honest guys, you won't hurt my feelings... Why are some of the women living lavish lifestyles on the upper east side so plain? I've seen really 'plain jane' boring types who have nothing to offer married to incredibly wealthy guys. I've seen drop dead gorgeous girls in singles bars in the east village... How you decide marriage vs. just a girlfriend? I am looking for MARRIAGE ONLY. Please hold your insults - I'm putting myself out there in an honest way. Most beautiful women are superficial; at least I'm being up front about it. I wouldn't be searching for these kind of guys if I wasn't able to match them - in looks, culture, sophistication, and keeping a nice home and hearth.

Well, she got an answer:

I read your posting with great interest and have thought meaningfully about your dilemma. I offer the following analysis of your predicament.

Firstly, I'm not wasting your time, I qualify as a guy who fits your bill; that is I make more than $500K per year. That said here's how I see it.

Your offer, from the prospective of a guy like me, is plain and simple a crappy business deal. Here's why. Cutting through all the B.S., what you suggest is a simple trade: you bring your looks to the party and I bring my money. Fine, simple. But here's the rub, your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity...in fact, it is very likely that my income increases but it is an absolute certainty that you won't be getting any more beautiful!

So, in economic terms you are a depreciating asset and I am an earning asset. Not only are you a depreciating asset, your depreciation accelerates! Let me explain, you're 25 now and will likely stay pretty hot for the next 5 years, but less so each year. Then the fade begins in earnest. By 35 stick a fork in you!

So in Wall Street terms, we would call you a trading position, not a buy and hold...hence the rub...marriage. It doesn't make good business sense to "buy you" (which is what you're asking) so I'd rather lease. In case you think I'm being cruel, I would say the following. If my money were to go away, so would you, so when your beauty fades I need an out. It's as simple as that. So a deal that makes sense is dating, not marriage... I hope this is helpful, and if you want to enter into some sort of lease, let me know.

Thomas Schmidt comments here: http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig8/schmidt3.html
When the going gets weird, the wierd turn pro.

Mr. X

Yeah this was posted a bit back already.
Feminists - "Verbally beating men like dumb animals or ignoring them is all we know and its not working."

Stallywood

This (gold digging) woman supposedly wrote a response to this letter.  While I do not find it an adequate response, (perhaps because I failed to understand it), nor funny. I think it is only fair to bring it to light.
So here it is, in all it lack of glory!

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/nyc/445962092.html

To the gentleman who called me a depreciating asset

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2007-10-11, 8:23AM EDT

Dear Sir,

I must confess that I was somewhat taken aback upon reading your email. Indeed, it has taken some time for me to sufficiently recuperate from my surprise. Lest your confidence quickly inflate for little reason (as we know is the predisposition for Wall St. types), allow me to hasten to reassure you that the source of my surprise was neither your candor nor the accuracy of your perception. Indeed, it is your "claimed" success in light of your poor grasp of economics which has me baffled. If the standards required to meet with financial success on Wall St. have sunk so low, perhaps I should indeed "make my own money", except for the fact that the effort/reward ratio is far too high for my liking - especially when so many of your ilk have displayed a far more cogent grasp of market realities than you have.

By now you are likely scratching your ever-vanishing hairline in confusion, so allow me to elaborate, dear man. To build some credibility I will tell you a bit more about yourself. Though you did not mention the details of your occupation, it is clear that you are an investment banker and not a trader, as any good trader would understand that human courtships are based upon a semi-efficient open market, and not an investment banking cartel. However, your inability to grasp the realities of the dating market is not surprising, given that you have successfully employed the tools of collusion and market manipulation rather that true acumen in your supposed wealth generation.

If your grasp of finance were not a minority partner with your ego, you would realize that the "outflows" associated with my depreciating "assets" are quite certain, and therefore subject to a low discount rate when determining their present value. In addition, though your concept of economics evidentially failed to move past the 1950s, advancement in plastic surgery is not subject to the same limitation. Thus, with some additional capital expenditure, the overall lifetime of "outflows" generated by these assets is greatly increased. Sad that Ashton Kutcher has demonstrated understanding of the female asset class which you, in all of your financial "wisdom", have not.

You, on the other hand, are, given the uncertainty of the Wall St. job market, more of an inflation-indexed junk bond with an underwater nested call option. Though you may argue that you are more of an equity investment, my monetary minimums required from you do not change, and if you are unable to pay them, I will liquidate you without the benefit of a chapter 11, just as you would me.

Because your outflows are so much more uncertain with respect to mine, I require additional compensation in the form of a underwater nested call option on your future assets. I say underwater because, even taking into account the value of your junk bond coupon payment to me, the value of my "outflow" is in excess of the market price of your equity (which is quite low due to its riskiness associated with your poor grasp of finance and my existing claim upon your junk bond coupon).

I must thank you though for raising the question, despite the reputation cost of subjecting your weak logic to such widespread scrutiny. This took either considerable courage or ignorance on your part- and we'll give you the benefit of doubt, just this once. My current boyfriend (a trader who lives in Central Park West, of course) and I thoroughly enjoyed discussing your response and we wish you the best of luck in your unhappy pursuit of that elusive market inefficiency.

This message is in response to:

I read your posting with great interest and have thought meaningfully
about your dilemma. I offer the following analysis of your predicament.
Firstly, I'm not wasting your time, I qualify as a guy who fits your
bill; that is I make more than $500K per year. That said here's how I
see it.

Your offer, from the prospective of a guy like me, is plain and simple a
crappy business deal. Here's why. Cutting through all the B.S., what you
suggest is a simple trade: you bring your looks to the party and I bring
my money. Fine, simple. But here's the rub, your looks will fade and my
money will likely continue into perpetuity...in fact, it is very likely
that my income increases but it is an absolute certainty that you won't
be getting any more beautiful!

So, in economic terms you are a depreciating asset and I am an earning
asset. Not only are you a depreciating asset, your depreciation
accelerates! Let me explain, you're 25 now and will likely stay pretty
hot for the next 5 years, but less so each year. Then the fade begins in
earnest. By 35 stick a fork in you!

So in Wall Street terms, we would call you a trading position, not a buy
and hold...hence the rub...marriage. It doesn't make good business sense
to "buy you" (which is what you're asking) so I'd rather lease. In case
you think I'm being cruel, I would say the following. If my money were
to go away, so would you, so when your beauty fades I need an out. It's
as simple as that. So a deal that makes sense is dating, not marriage.

Separately, I was taught early in my career about efficient markets. So,
I wonder why a girl as "articulate, classy and spectacularly beautiful"
as you has been unable to find your sugar daddy. I find it hard to
believe that if you are as gorgeous as you say you are that the $500K
hasn't found you, if not only for a tryout.

By the way, you could always find a way to make your own money and then
we wouldn't need to have this difficult conversation.

With all that said, I must say you're going about it the right way.
Classic "pump and dump."
I hope this is helpful, and if you want to enter into some sort of
lease, let me know.

Wholly inadequate, and doesn't even begin to eclipse the beauty of the mans letter.
Stally

Gentleman is a man who consciously serves women. I prefer the golden rule.

Behind every great man, is a
parasite.

Women who say men won't commit, usually aren't worth committing to.

Drifter

Sad that Ashton Kutcher has demonstrated understanding of the female asset class which you, in all of your financial "wisdom", have not.

This is the exception that proves the rule. How many 45 year olds look like Demi Moore?

if you are unable to pay them, I will liquidate you without the benefit of a chapter 11

Nice. She's a real keeper.

Cordell Walker

if this broad knew how to get a man  that made over a half million a year, she wouldnt have to waste her time on craigs lis.......in other words like  my girl tiffany "new york" pollard would say "bitch shut the fuck up!!!"

I mean would any guy who has enough brains to bring in a half mil a year fall for her dumb shit
"how can you kill women and children?"---private joker
"Easy, ya just dont lead em as much" ---Animal Mother

shard43

Obviously written by a lonely cat-herder.

Mr. X

Obviously written by a lonely cat-herder.

I think its written by a guy. In fact I'm sort of dubious of the whole thing. But this seems more like some mangina who tried to respond in some way to defend women.
Feminists - "Verbally beating men like dumb animals or ignoring them is all we know and its not working."

gwallan

Note this...
To build some credibility I will tell you a bit more about yourself.

Only a woman would be arrogant enough to try this.

Her response, in amongst the wanky but irrelevant jargon, boils down to this...
The depreciating asset - herself - can be maintained in it's value by the constant attention of a plastic surgeon. Of course the depreciating asset almost certainly doesn't expect to pay for this herself.

The expenditure on physical maintenance of the asset only increases the cost base. The asset continues to devalue and in fact the dollar value of that depreciation annually increases in line with that of the maintenance exenditure. While the final value ultimately may be higher than otherwise the overall cost of depreciation will increase.

If, and only if, the depreciating asset absorbs the cost of maintenance can she claim to even maintain her value, let alone increase it.

Meanwhile, and notwithstanding her own assumptions about the respondant, she can have no idea of the source of or potential of his income. He may be able to earn just as much with no work income at all while relying solely on investment returns.
In 95% of things 100% of people are alike. It's the other 5%, the bits that are different, that make us interesting. It's also the key to our existence, and future, as a species.

Aegis

Her response also comes down to a notion that she can be counted on to put out on her end of the deal, but he couldn't.  He could lose his job or what have you, so her price goes up because she carries less risk.  That's completely bogus, obviously.  Because, as she says, she would immediately liquidate her holdings in him if he lost his wealth.  At no cost to her, of course.  So her risk of not receiving her reward would be comparable to his.

Stallywood

Demi Moore, had a shitload of plastic surgery done. There was an article a week or so back about her bitching she had all this work done, and still couldn't get work.
Stally

Sad that Ashton Kutcher has demonstrated understanding of the female asset class which you, in all of your financial "wisdom", have not.

This is the exception that proves the rule. How many 45 year olds look like Demi Moore?

if you are unable to pay them, I will liquidate you without the benefit of a chapter 11

Nice. She's a real keeper.

Gentleman is a man who consciously serves women. I prefer the golden rule.

Behind every great man, is a
parasite.

Women who say men won't commit, usually aren't worth committing to.

Cordell Walker

as far as older women none compare to  Ms Pam :toothy9:
"how can you kill women and children?"---private joker
"Easy, ya just dont lead em as much" ---Animal Mother

The Gonzman

Woo hoo.  Just what I want.  Plastic Tits and so many plastic surgeries her face is pulled into a permanent rictus.  Boy, that's fuckin' hot.

Can you say "Blow up Doll?"  I knew you could.  And it's cheaper and without the Drama.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the MEANEST son-of-a-bitch in the valley.

Virtue

Women HATE it when you point out that they come with a best sell by date.
Imagine waking up tomorrow to find
that unbelievably rape is now legal.

You would be freaking out, telling everyone you ran into this is crazy- something needs to be done... now!!! And then every man you told this to just very smugly and condescendingly says...

"Hey... not all men are 'like that.'"

Go Up