NYC nightclubs defend ladies' nights

Started by blackmanxxx, Dec 17, 2007, 11:27 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

blackmanxxx

NYC nightclubs defend ladies' nights

By LARRY NEUMEISTER, Associated Press Writer
Sat Dec 15, 1:06 AM ET

NEW YORK - Men are not discriminated against by "ladies' nights" at Manhattan nightclubs, just as people in their 20s do not suffer because some restaurants let children eat for free or have "early bird" specials for older customers, according to nightclub lawyers fighting a federal lawsuit.

Roy Den Hollander has sued clubs including Lotus and the China Club, saying he was discriminated against by ladies' nights, which offer women free or discounted admission and drinks.

Deborah Swindells Donovan, a lawyer for Lotus, called the lawsuit frivolous in papers filed Friday in U.S. District Court.

She wrote that if his "ill-conceived theory is applied to restaurants, then 'early bird' specials for the elderly or promotions allowing children to eat free would be discriminatory on the basis of age."

Vanessa R. Elliott, a lawyer representing the club AER Lounge, said in court papers Friday that nightclubs recognize that men might not want to visit the clubs if they fail to attract enough women.

"Under this theory, male customers may actually benefit from ladies' nights in other ways and be encouraged to attend the club on those nights," she wrote.

The price charged to men is not so burdensome that it amounts to denying them entry, Elliott argued.

In his lawsuit, Hollander said he sought to represent all men over age 21 who had entered one of the nightclubs since June 21, 2004, and been subjected to policies that provide discounts to women of the same age.

He asked a judge to conclude that the policies violated the Constitution and to assess minor damages against the clubs.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071215/ap_on_fe_st/odd_ladies_nights

shard43

Yes, because women would never want to visit a place like a sleazy nightclub unless they were coerced into it or cajoled into it by the lure of free drinks and free admission.  :BangHead:

ClarkCable

If it's a nightclub, aren't hot women being hired to work there and attract men?

Garak

Men are not discriminated against by "ladies' nights" at Manhattan nightclubs, just as people in their 20s do not suffer because some restaurants let children eat for free

Ok, this isn't comparable since kids young enough to eat free are not the ones saving money. It saves the parents money. The kids are not the direct beneficiaries of this policy, the parents are.

Ladies night is to the direct benefit of women based on gender.

Still, the best way to combat this is to boycott an establishment until they have a Mens Night or until they get rid of Ladies night. Private business should be immune to government tampering and that includes employment practices.
I will stop staring at your boobs when you stop staring at my paycheck!

realman

""Under this theory, male customers may actually benefit from ladies' nights in other ways and be encouraged to attend the club on those nights," she wrote."

Ah yes, because when it comes to dating and mating and sex and relationships, men are the only ones who "benefit", right? I mean, we all know those women at the clubs aren't looking for men, right? :BangHead: I love how talk of hooking up, dating, and sex is always couched in terminology that makes it sound like the women are doing the men a favor by dating or screwing them, and the women themselves derive no benefits or pleasure from it.

shard43

""Under this theory, male customers may actually benefit from ladies' nights in other ways and be encouraged to attend the club on those nights," she wrote."

Ah yes, because when it comes to dating and mating and sex and relationships, men are the only ones who "benefit", right? I mean, we all know those women at the clubs aren't looking for men, right? :BangHead: I love how talk of hooking up, dating, and sex is always couched in terminology that makes it sound like the women are doing the men a favor by dating or screwing them, and the women themselves derive no benefits or pleasure from it.

Yes, exactly. Think of the term "Lie back and think of England" - so sexist because only women lie back, the man is doing most of the work in missionary position.

It is (some, obviously) women's own unwillingness to think of themselves as sexual that makes it so hard for them to orgasm. ALLEGEDLY so hard for them, because every woman who has been with me has orgasmed regularly. I don't see why the propaganda is that men don't care about women's arousal.

realman

umm, because, like so many things, a woman's arousal is the responsibility of a man... if you can't get it up, that's YOUR problem. If she's as dry as a Brit's humor, that's your problem too.

devia

Men do not have to go to a nightclub that offers a ladies night. If men did not go the nightclubs would not offer them.

Freemarket. Vote with you're own pocketbook but don't decide you can make that decision for others "for their own good". Isn't that what feminists "did" for women?

strangedisk

Sure devia.  I'll think of it like that when there are men only clubs where:

The rule of men only is actually enforced,
it's legal, and
there's no social stigma attached.

devia

There are men's only clubs. This has been beaten to death. Fraternal organizations exist but they are lacking in joining numbers.

However male only clubs (which are non-profit) have nothing to do with a business which offers a discount for women to come there for the night.  This is a business choice not a non-profit choice. 

From profiles I've read you have a prominent member who is a member of a men's only organization.Talk to him if you want to learn more.

That has nothing to do with a for profit privately owned biz. If you own it you can stipulate that only green androids with purple eyes can come in if that's your idea of how you want your business run.  Do you really want the government telling you otherwise?

The Gonzman

Freemarket. Vote with you're own pocketbook but don't decide you can make that decision for others "for their own good". Isn't that what feminists "did" for women?

No, actually they sued like hell to get what they wanted, and sued to get men's clubs to admit women, or insured they were marginalized for "discwimination."

But... you knew that already, didn't you?
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the MEANEST son-of-a-bitch in the valley.

devia

What feminist "did for women". Sue for the right to infringe on private matters.  Sorry if I didn't expand.

Gonz.. Do you have a list of male only clubs that perhaps your younger members are not aware of?

neonsamurai

Men do not have to go to a nightclub that offers a ladies night. If men did not go the nightclubs would not offer them.

I agree, but ladies nights have too many 'ifs' or 'maybes'. If a club lets women in for free then to benefit men there must be enough available women inside to justify a man paying to go inside. But how many clubs let you check out the clientel before you pay to go inside? And for that matter do the clubs advertising ladies nights only let single women in for free? If a club only let in married women on a ladies night then this offers no advantage for men who are looking to score, which we presume is their reason for attending.

When a man goes to a nightclub he is being given the impression that all the women there are of a legal age to be allowed in, so a club that advertises a ladies night 'because it benefits men' would have to ensure that the women are single and genuinely interested in meeting a man.

But would it be ethical to do that? I doubt it. No more than a gay club could bar straight people, or an exclusive bar could ban poor men or ugly women.
Dr. Kathleen Dixon, the Director of Women's Studies: "We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech!"

TheManOnTheStreet

OK.  Then why are there laws that ban smoking in bars?  If a non-smoker doesn't like it, go somewhere else!  Oh wait, THATSSSSSSSSS DIFERENNNNTTTTTTTTTTT.....

There are men's only clubs. This has been beaten to death.

Correct.  It has been beaten to death.  And you were wrong then, and you are wrong now.

TMOTS 
The Man On The Street is on the street for a reason.......

The Gonzman

What feminist "did for women". Sue for the right to infringe on private matters.  Sorry if I didn't expand.

Gonz.. Do you have a list of male only clubs that perhaps your younger members are not aware of?

Pretty much the Masons - who have more female auxilaries than you can shake a stick at, anyway, leaving their "men only" in doubt.  Same with the Knights of Columbus (Of which I am a member.)  A couple private Golf clubs that have dues at an astronomical level.  Since (a) I don't play golf, and (b) I don't care to drive to Augusta to not play golf with men - does precious good anyway.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the MEANEST son-of-a-bitch in the valley.

Go Up