Women's Sports

Started by Pat Kibbon, Mar 06, 2008, 05:53 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Pat Kibbon

I'm not a devoted sports fan, but when it comes to the sports I do watch, I like women's sports. There is a rhythm to the play that is... well... different from the way men play... and interesting to watch.

The principal behind women's sports is a curious one. Let's focus on major league pro sports. Negligibly few individuals qualify to attempt to play a major league sport. There are some stereotypically identifiable groups who are over-represented on sports teams in terms of their proportion of the population, and many who are under-represented. Among the multitude of stereotypically identifiable groups who are under-represented, one such group, and only one, has been singled out as being entitled to its own sports system - to play exclusively with other members of their group - to have their skills evaluated exclusively against other members of their group. The stereotypically identifiable group of which I speak is, of course, women. The entitlement is based on the fact that they are seen as not being able to compete successfully against a counter-stereotypically identifialble group, a group that is over represented, that group being men.

And the system works, in the sense that it allows more women the opportunity to play on sports teams at a higher level. It works so well that I suggest that we apply it to other areas of life.

Take economics. 'Wage gaps' and 'glass ceilings' suggest that women do not compete successfully against men in our economic system. So why not establish a women's economic system? For example, establish an automobile manufacturing corporation parallel to General Motors, but owned, managed and staffed by women only. In a similar vein an entire women's economic system could be established in parallel to the existing system. No man would be allowed to participate in the women's economic system (except to purchase products). However, applying principles derived from the sports system, women who believed they were able to compete successfully against men could vie for positions within the men's economic system.

Government. A brief survey of elected and appointed government officials shows that women have not competed well against men in attaining govenment positions. Why not establish a parallel women's government in which women elect other women to positions corresponding to those of the existing government at local, state and federal levels? The women's government would have the same authority as the men's to enact and enforce legislation, adjudicate disputes and collect taxes. They would need to establish local, state and federal police agencies (consisting of women officers) to enforce their laws. Again, women would be permitted to run for office or receive appointments in the men's government, but no men would hold positions or participate in women's government.
"We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paper work is overwhelming."

The Gonzman

Yeah, well, you can't get people to watch the WNBA in sufficient numbers to keep it from being artificially propped up by the NBA - College men's teams rake in the money and then have to fork it over for the Women's sports who can't earn it - so how you going to get people to buy WGM?

I mean, besides the die hard feminists who will insist their WGM car is just as good as your GM car as they are pushing down the road and you offer them a lift?
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the MEANEST son-of-a-bitch in the valley.

Pat Kibbon

That problem is simple to solve.  Employing the principle established by the Los Angeles Marathon, WGM will recieve a statistically biased (whoops, make that based) 33 1/3% head start in product quality ratings.  Even if their products are absolute junk, the 'head start' will allow consumer publications to rate their products as #1 in quality.
"We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paper work is overwhelming."

CaptDMO

That problem is simple to solve.  Employing the principle established by the Los Angeles Marathon, WGM will recieve a statistically biased (whoops, make that based) 33 1/3% head start in product quality ratings.  Even if their products are absolute junk, the 'head start' will allow consumer publications to rate their products as #1 in quality.
Which brings us to the company employee profile registration required for all
contractors bidding on gum'mint contracts. No matter the ability to meet mil-spec
designations, companies with certain management and employee profiles are
given preferred status in contract awards.

The book of forms establishing the criteria is mind numbing of course.

In local ski racing, the fastest women tend to come in about the same as the 12th-14th male (out of a field of 225-250 or so. There's no money involved, and it's certainly no road to an Olympic or pro seat. (Many local retired world class racers of both sexes compete)

There's NO title IX, red tees, or short bus handicapping crap in this league that spans the 8 to 80 year range.  Of course,  there's no great ESPN"world title", or lucrative experimental drug endorsement deals at stake either. Local bragging rights until the snow melts for the season, and race results in the local paper are about it.

Oddly, EVERYONE seems to just have a good time, even the folk that consistently hold the back of the field.

Then again, come mud football season...........           

Sir Jessy of Anti

Mar 06, 2008, 07:44 PM Last Edit: Mar 06, 2008, 07:46 PM by Sir Jessy of Anti

I'm not a devoted sports fan, but when it comes to the sports I do watch, I like women's sports. There is a rhythm to the play that is... well... different from the way men play... and interesting to watch.

The principal behind women's sports is a curious one. Let's focus on major league pro sports. Negligibly few individuals qualify to attempt to play a major league sport. There are some stereotypically identifiable groups who are over-represented on sports teams in terms of their proportion of the population, and many who are under-represented. Among the multitude of stereotypically identifiable groups who are under-represented, one such group, and only one, has been singled out as being entitled to its own sports system - to play exclusively with other members of their group - to have their skills evaluated exclusively against other members of their group. The stereotypically identifiable group of which I speak is, of course, women. The entitlement is based on the fact that they are seen as not being able to compete successfully against a counter-stereotypically identifialble group, a group that is over represented, that group being men.

And the system works, in the sense that it allows more women the opportunity to play on sports teams at a higher level. It works so well that I suggest that we apply it to other areas of life.

Take economics. 'Wage gaps' and 'glass ceilings' suggest that women do not compete successfully against men in our economic system. So why not establish a women's economic system? For example, establish an automobile manufacturing corporation parallel to General Motors, but owned, managed and staffed by women only. In a similar vein an entire women's economic system could be established in parallel to the existing system. No man would be allowed to participate in the women's economic system (except to purchase products). However, applying principles derived from the sports system, women who believed they were able to compete successfully against men could vie for positions within the men's economic system.

Government. A brief survey of elected and appointed government officials shows that women have not competed well against men in attaining govenment positions. Why not establish a parallel women's government in which women elect other women to positions corresponding to those of the existing government at local, state and federal levels? The women's government would have the same authority as the men's to enact and enforce legislation, adjudicate disputes and collect taxes. They would need to establish local, state and federal police agencies (consisting of women officers) to enforce their laws. Again, women would be permitted to run for office or receive appointments in the men's government, but no men would hold positions or participate in women's government.

Well, that's just about the most sexist tosh I have read in a while.

However, if you want to compete, i.e. fairly, then it would be better to abolish women's sports altogether and create unisex sports.

Your other ideas are equally inane.  Just because you have a perceived legal privilege, doesn't mean your blatantly sexist, redistributive ideas are justified.  Consider the case of the thief absolved of her crimes legally, yet who chooses to cement her theft as the status quo.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand<br /><br />

Virtue

Creating Unisex sports would abolish womens sports.....no women would be able to compete
Imagine waking up tomorrow to find
that unbelievably rape is now legal.

You would be freaking out, telling everyone you ran into this is crazy- something needs to be done... now!!! And then every man you told this to just very smugly and condescendingly says...

"Hey... not all men are 'like that.'"

gwallan

@Pat Kibbon...

One of the fundamental premises of feminism is that men have excluded women from everything.

Over the past fifty years however men have demonstrated a willingness to include women even where it means disadvantaging themselves.

I have yet to see a similar demonstration on behalf of women. Indeed if you look at every aspect of feminism over the past quarter of a century it seems consistantly to look to exclude men from any consideration at all.

Are you serious? At this point I suspect your post to be satirical.

If you are serious you are providing us with the ingredients for armageddon.

BTW I would reword your first sentence to read...
"A brief survey of elected and appointed government officials shows that women have not, well, competed against men in attaining govenment positions."
In 95% of things 100% of people are alike. It's the other 5%, the bits that are different, that make us interesting. It's also the key to our existence, and future, as a species.

Cordell Walker

I like women's tennis because it has given me the oppurtunity to  spend  a lot of time in front of the TV lusting over serena williams
"how can you kill women and children?"---private joker
"Easy, ya just dont lead em as much" ---Animal Mother

The Gonzman

His is satirical.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the MEANEST son-of-a-bitch in the valley.

Mr. Bad

I'm with the folks who advocate integrating sports - get rid of separate men's and women's events and let everyone compete together.  The feminists have been braying that they want equal rights and opportunity for women so I say let's give it to them.  Level the playing field and all that. 
"Men in teams... got the human species from caves to palaces. When we watch men's teams at work, we pay homage to 10,000 years of male achievements; a record of vision, ingenuity and Herculean labor that feminism has been too mean-spirited to acknowledge."  Camille Paglia

The Biscuit Queen

Yeah, and the first time a woman is taken off the football field with a sheet over her head and a broken neck we will be hearing how it is all men's fault.
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

The Gonzman

Yeah, and the first time a woman is taken off the football field with a sheet over her head and a broken neck we will be hearing how it is all men's fault.

And that is the bloody truth.

I played football for years, and I am a big, big guy.  I have gotten hit so hard I have flipped one and a half times in the air, been knocked out of my shoe, knocked out - and this was only up to Jr. High School.

You've seen the "Greatest Hits" videos.

In 8th grade, a girl decided she wanted to play, and rather than defend a lawsuit (Which was a popular tactic at the time) the league decided to let her, without comment.  Which kind of took the wind out of things; I think in part her (single) mother was looking to do a PR stunt.

Even being a relatively big girl, as far as girls go, she was obviously too slender for a line position, and couldn't catch, and threw like a girl.  So - she became a running back.  A couple weeks into practice, we're doing drills where you have a few linemen on a few linemen try to open a hole, and the running backs rotate and try to get at least 4 yards. (Our coach had the philosophy that if you aimed for four yards on every play, you would control the game.  Since we won the championship that year 49-0, I'd say he had a point.)

Me and two other big guys were the defensive line.  Chuckie was smaller than me but greased lightning.  Bobby was a little shorter, slower, but a monster in size and could stop people with one hand.  I was the spiderman, all over the place. And while doing this drill, rotating people in and out her turn came, and came round again.

Now, you have to understand - this was an offensive drill.  We doing the defense were meat dummies.  We rotated ourselves out if we felt the need, he just wanted the best guys if at all possible.  The offensive line changed, the backs changed.  We had now way of keeping track who was who.  Do it quick and fast.  Repeat, repeat, repeat.  Make it second nature.

A holoe opens (5 offensive linemen) and she takes the ball and runs for it.  I grab her, reaching over the line.  Bobby smears her.  Her and an offensive lineman both.

A good hit - solid.  Hard.  Clean. And nothing that hadn't been delivered, at one time or another, to any other back onj the team, who had bounced up laughing.

She gets up slowly.  Goes and stands with the backs.  Walks away.  Takes off her helmet.  Cries.  Doesn't complete practice.

That was it for her.  And of course, we were accused of "Targeting" her.  Even after we had been cautioned not to - indeed, the one guy who did lost his place on the team.

Fortunately the coach had been taping such drills.  Now way.  There were, throughout that drill, a lot, lot harder hits on a lot smaller guys.

But yeah - you nailed it.  Even if "girl rules" aren't codified, they will be implied.  And not taking it easy on them will be seen as targeting them by the womanists.

Cordell Walker

the only sport I ever did was boxing.........................and in 2003 I was preparing for a gym tourney in denton...my usual sparring partenr was at work so they teamed me up with this female pro-fighter...................she was(still is ) a pretty good fighter, one weight above me(I was jr welter,at 139lbs)........I was fearful of being embarrassed; but I actually knocked her down; which shocked me and told me something about the strength and physical assets of males vs females............................every time I sparred with a male pro, even those with losing records, those who were bantamweights that I had 20lbs on, I got my ass whipped, and whipped good
but I knocked a  female pro down

I dont think women compteting in male sports is good..............especially combat sports............................if that happens you can bet there will be more mancini-kim style incidents
"how can you kill women and children?"---private joker
"Easy, ya just dont lead em as much" ---Animal Mother

Mr. X

I don't like the idea of women in men's sports but for a different reason. Essentially it'll be unfair to the lower ranking guys. Take basketball. If women played men's basketball what would happen is one or two females would be stellar and stay in the pack. The rest would simply be warming the bench. Teams would choose men over women because the male players usually play better. So equality groups would scream inequality and so teams would be forced to have a percentage of their team be women. Then when women are mostly on the bench there will be more screams of injustice and so they will have to have X percent of women actually out on the court.

So what happens to the men who aren't alpha ranking? They can't complain. They can't scream foul even when they are treated blatently unjustly. They have to go home. So they essentially become a rung on a ladder women can stand on to succeed. That's me. Equality doesn't work for me because I become a rung on a ladder only to benefit women that I know I can do better than.

So its not that I don't want women to play basketball. Its that once they come in to play basketball all the unfair affirmative action rules come into play and I am one of the guys who just gets screwed. Its like the marines. I know I can't do the boot camp. And I know I have to go home. I can't cry and scream its unfair. I lose, I lose. But women can come in, not rank, then scream foul and get to be a marine. And since quotas come into play even if I stood a chance of being a marine I would be the one who gets bumped. I know for a fact it won't be one of those alpha male pretty boys who women like.
Feminists - "Verbally beating men like dumb animals or ignoring them is all we know and its not working."

foldedintobeauty

I like women's tennis because it has given me the oppurtunity to  spend  a lot of time in front of the TV lusting over serena williams

barf
when would jesus floss?

Go Up