Another False Allegation of Rape

Started by Mr. Bad, Mar 20, 2008, 01:30 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Mr. Bad

One more for the list:

Woman pleads guilty to false rape report

Nault accepted a guilty plea from Katherine M. Clifton, accused of making false statements to a public servant.

Those statements led to the rape charge last summer against the professor who subsequently spent nine days in jail and was placed on leave from his job.

Clifton declined to comment at the hearing but filed a detailed statement saying that she had been sexually abused by her grandfather, who was convicted of rape of a child in 1994.

"In order to understand why, I have to explain what has happened to me in my past that has forever affected me," she wrote.

Clifton, who now lives in Ellensburg, was sentenced to serve 365 days in jail, with 357 days suspended, and to pay a $5,000 fine, with $4,750 suspended, plus other conditions that include probation and community service. Nault also ordered her to pay the professor's attorney fees.

"In hindsight, what was presented to us was an allegation of a violent rape," said Ian Goodhew, deputy chief of staff. "That doesn't mean the investigation stopped."

Clifton was "an extremely articulate and credible victim," said Sgt. John Urquhart, Sheriff's Office spokesman. "There was no reason to suspect she wasn't telling the truth."

On July 10, detectives contacted the professor, who denied all the charges and said he'd never seen Clifton off the school campus. He acknowledged exchanging e-mails with her but said the ones she provided to police had been altered.

The professor was charged with first-degree rape and burglary on July 12. The Prosecutor's Office asked for $500,000 bail, describing the professor as "an extreme threat to the victim and the community."

But as detectives continued working, it became clear that the text in the e-mails had been changed. None of the professor's fingerprints were found at Clifton's house. A sexual-assault examination found no evidence of rape.

The detective also checked on a supposed court order shown by Clifton to people at the college that seemed to bear the heading "In the Superior Court of Washington State for King County" and apparently ordered her not to talk about the professor.

But the judge's signature was illegible and the case number didn't match any King County filings.

On July 25, Clifton told detectives she had forged a judge's signature and made up a legal document on her computer.

On July 26 the charges were dismissed, and a day later Clifton was charged with making false statements to a public servant.

Clifton's attorney, Kelly Faoro, said her client has "extremely deep remorse" for the false statements and realizes that "none of this makes it any better" for the professor.

The professor now has his job back, but said in court documents that the experience would stay with him.

"Even though I did absolutely nothing wrong ... my rape and burglary with sexual-motivation charges, albeit false, will remain in the court records forever," he swore in one filing.

King County Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Shelby Smith said Clifton's actions will also "harm the community of sexual-assault victims," who will find their cases more difficult to pursue.

"Other victims will be treated with more scrutiny," she said.

A few things: 

-  False accuser referred to as "victim."  What happened to "alleged victim?"

-  Lots of excuses for the woman leads to a very light sentence (8 days in jail and $250 in fines).

- Tendency to believe women without question.

- Main concern for prosecutor is not justice, it's that "Other victims will be treated with more scrutiny."   Hmmm, shouldn't that be "alleged victims?"  And how is being more skeptical re. rape allegations when half of them are false a bad thing?

This kind of thing really burns me up.

"Men in teams... got the human species from caves to palaces. When we watch men's teams at work, we pay homage to 10,000 years of male achievements; a record of vision, ingenuity and Herculean labor that feminism has been too mean-spirited to acknowledge."  Camille Paglia

foldedintobeauty

this is bad for women who really are raped, too.
when would jesus floss?

dr e

How many times have we heard this?  False accusations make it hard for the REAL rape victims.  Just another example of the default bigotry.  Concern for the female and almost none for the male. 
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

The Biscuit Queen

King County Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Shelby Smith said Clifton's actions will also "harm the community of sexual-assault victims," who will find their cases more difficult to pursue.

Other victims? You mean real victims?

I would say I am about done feeling sorry for "real rape victims". At least they have recourse of the law, unlike real victims of false allegations. I know it happens, and it is bad, but I am sorry it cannot be any worse than a man getting falsely accused. All the same long term issues happen in both cases, but one gets support and the other gets jail.
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

typhonblue

Other victims? You mean real victims?

I would say I am about done feeling sorry for "real rape victims". At least they have recourse of the law, unlike real victims of false allegations. I know it happens, and it is bad, but I am sorry it cannot be any worse than a man getting falsely accused. All the same long term issues happen in both cases, but one gets support and the other gets jail.

What interests me about this situation is how many rape victims _don't_ come forward. Why aren't we asking ourselves if the criminal justice system really is serving rape victims at all. Which is why there is such a high rate of false accusations... the system isn't serving rape victims but _false rape acccusers_.

devia

We have this policy at my work when selling pre-owned products to tell the client that there will be no exchanges on the product.

But the reality is if the person complains about the product they will get an exchange.

After a couple came into my work 6 months after buying my product to buy another unrelated product, and I asked them how they were enjoying the product they had bought.. and they told me it was hurting them I made it my own policy to always tell my clients that no matter what the fine print said if they are uncomfortable please call me and I will get it replaced (but don't "fink on me" for telling you this).

My reason for this is I've found that a lot of good people will not complain no matter how much pain they are in, and complainers will always complain and get their way regardless. I will not let the good people suffer while the few walk all over any rule stated to them.

There certainly are women who decide not to prosecute because of the pain of going through a trial. Like my clients who lived with physical pain they don't want to make waves.

And there are women (and men) who like to make waves.  A few times a week I take back products that cannot be taken back if opened. They claim they are not even though they are stuffed back in the bag.... I would love to be able to call them out as the liars they are... and yes they come in all sizes and sexes. (but they are rarely over 60)

Quentin0352

Hold it, she FORGED a FAKE COURT ORDER and no charges at all for that? Could you imagine them giving some desperate father a break like that if he did the same thing just so he could see his kids?

Virtue

I've found that a lot of good people will not complain no matter how much pain they are in,

This is true.....and in relation to the subject at hand the crime of rape is under reported.

However that is irrelevant.

What is revelant is the 70 % false accusation rate.
Imagine waking up tomorrow to find
that unbelievably rape is now legal.

You would be freaking out, telling everyone you ran into this is crazy- something needs to be done... now!!! And then every man you told this to just very smugly and condescendingly says...

"Hey... not all men are 'like that.'"

Mr. Bad

How many times have we heard this?  False accusations make it hard for the REAL rape victims.  Just another example of the default bigotry.  Concern for the female and almost none for the male. 

E., this is the classic feminist tactic of changing the subject: When MRAs get a legitimate issue recognized, the first thing feminists do is to try and change the subject to women, often with a 'well, women have it worse' blah blah blah.   You know the drill.

I'm with the BQ - I simply don't care about female rape 'victims' any more.  They have the full force of the State and society behind them, so I'm going to align myself with the underdog, i.e., men who are falsely accused of rape. 
"Men in teams... got the human species from caves to palaces. When we watch men's teams at work, we pay homage to 10,000 years of male achievements; a record of vision, ingenuity and Herculean labor that feminism has been too mean-spirited to acknowledge."  Camille Paglia

Mr. Bad

I've found that a lot of good people will not complain no matter how much pain they are in,

This is true.....and in relation to the subject at hand the crime of rape is under reported.

However that is irrelevant.

What is revelant is the 70 % false accusation rate.

Whoa, that's higher than any number I've seen before.  Got a citation for that?

Virtue

Thats the Airforce study number.

www.falserape.net

They have links to the study.
Imagine waking up tomorrow to find
that unbelievably rape is now legal.

You would be freaking out, telling everyone you ran into this is crazy- something needs to be done... now!!! And then every man you told this to just very smugly and condescendingly says...

"Hey... not all men are 'like that.'"

foldedintobeauty

who said i wasn't concerned for the men? if a friend, brother, son, or husband of mine were falsely accused i'd be livid
when would jesus floss?

The Gonzman

who said i wasn't concerned for the men? if a friend, brother, son, or husband of mine were falsely accused i'd be livid

How about for just regular old injustice?  Like let's say you had a friend who had a "worthless" husband, and couldn't find any other way to arrange so he couldn't see his kids....
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the MEANEST son-of-a-bitch in the valley.

foldedintobeauty

How about for just regular old injustice?  Like let's say you had a friend who had a "worthless" husband, and couldn't find any other way to arrange so he couldn't see his kids....

you lost me on that last part
when would jesus floss?

Mr. Bad

you lost me on that last part

Sheesh, are you serious?  Ok, let me explain:  The female friend of yours has a "worthless" husband who she wants to get rid of, but the only way she can find to do so is to file a false allegation of rape against him.

Get it now?

Go Up