The war of the fishnet stockings

Started by FP, Apr 05, 2008, 12:55 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

FP

at a UK law firm..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=556970&in_page_id=1770

Legal firm bans fishnet stockings because they distract male colleagues
By EMILY ANDREWS - More by this author » Last updated at 00:09am on 5th April 2008

Comments Comments (12)
Woman in fishnet stockings

Banned: Women lawyers wearing fishnet stockings were deemed too 'distracting'
In the case of fishnet tights versus office decorum, the jury was most certainly out yesterday.

A law firm's decision to ban women wearing fishnets to work has left lawyers as neatly divided as a divorcing millionaire's fortune.

The unidentified firm has decreed that female lawyers in fishnets distract male colleagues and look unprofessional.

An employee of the firm - thought to be based in London - blew the whistle on the ban by writing on the law website legalweek.com.

But the argument for a ban was quickly demolished by a flood of furious learned friends.

One solicitor, calling herself City Woman, fumed: "What a total load of tosh. My male partners openly coo when I'm wearing Jimmy Choos, short skirts and nicely cut tops as it all reinforces the image they wish to project about themselves, the people they work with and the quality of bird they've attracted to the partnership.

"Fishnets, though, make them feel uncomfortable - one step too close to their perceptions of tartiness!

"If I find a nicely polished pair of Churchs [a brand of men's shoes] a 'distraction', does that mean I can get them banned too?"

One associate partner at a city firm asked: "Why is everyone getting their knickers in such a twist over this? Thigh-high boots are not going to be appropriate but why should female lawyers be consigned to wearing a uniform of boring suits?

"A bit of personal flair in the office is desperately needed."

And a lawyer at a top London solicitors' office said: "I see no problem with the occasional, or indeed, frequent wearing of fishnet stockings or anything else.

"At my firm, our investment banking clients were always happy to see us girls at negotiation meetings in very short skirts.

"Our male colleagues were very happy about it too. Do I detect a hint of jealousy among the frumps that can't get away with it?"

Feelings were really running high by the time an investment banker put in his two pennyworth.

"Fishnet stockings? Are you out of your mind? Which law firm do you work for? Soho Working Girls LLP?" he wrote.

Others insisted the ban was a sensible approach in the quest for sensible dressing.

"Fishnets are totally inappropriate for a professional office,' one ban supporter wrote.

"I'm amazed at what some of our young women wear to work these days. I particularly cannot understand the low-cut tops (often also sleeveless).

"Some of our trainees and newly qualifieds look like lap-dancers. Maybe they're just trying to snare a husband and don't see a longterm future for themselves in the law but I know I wouldn't take them to a client meeting looking like that."

The Mail's fashion editor Natalie Theo said she thought fishnets were "totally appropriate" for the office.

"They are a great alternative to thick opaques in the summer and for those who don't want to bare their legs, which is arguably worse," she said.

"I think it's the connotations of the fishnet that is the problem - they have come a long way from the Moulin Rouge can-can dancers - and are now a wardrobe staple. Those men should learn to focus more on their work."

But fishnets, apparently, can make much more than a fashion statement at work.

One woman lawyer confided: "I've always found a brief flash of fishnets under a skirt suit a very effective method of tribunal advocacy."

The Biscuit Queen

All lawyers, men and women, should be forced to wear long pants and a jacket to work every day. It worked for men, is forced on men, so should be enforced for everyone.

Unless of course you want men wearing fishnets.
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

Mr. Nickle

I'm going to design a pair of pants for men that has a see-through part in the front where you can expose the part of your shlong where it joins your body. Not the head, and not the sac. Just show some skin - kind like how  women can shove 90% of their tits in your face at work.

I wonder how that will fly?
Don't mention the war! - Basil Fawlty

The Biscuit Queen

OMG :laughing6:

Too funny.
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

gwallan

Apr 05, 2008, 05:40 AM Last Edit: Apr 05, 2008, 05:43 AM by gwallan

All lawyers, men and women, should be forced to wear long pants and a jacket to work every day. It worked for men, is forced on men, so should be enforced for everyone.

Unless of course you want men wearing fishnets.

Worked in professional environments all my life. A woman who goes to work dressed for the nightclub does not get any respect from me.

I want to work with people focussed on the daytime. Not the nighttime.

I'm going to design a pair of pants for men that has a see-through part in the front where you can expose the part of your shlong where it joins your body. Not the head, and not the sac. Just show some skin - kind like how  women can shove 90% of their tits in your face at work.

Good call. The plumber approach hasn't worked for blokes.
In 95% of things 100% of people are alike. It's the other 5%, the bits that are different, that make us interesting. It's also the key to our existence, and future, as a species.

TheManOnTheStreet

You people just don't get it do you... /sarcasm

The last sentence (as well as most of the article itself) tells you the reality of the issue....

"But fishnets, apparently, can make much more than a fashion statement at work.

"One woman lawyer confided: "I've always found a brief flash of fishnets under a skirt suit a very effective method of tribunal advocacy."

They consider objectifying themselves as empowering and dare I say, part of their overall "experience" and "professional portfollio" for the position.  And besides, they have a right to wear what they want you pigs!

Oh, and don't you dare look either!

TMOTS
The Man On The Street is on the street for a reason.......

neoteny

Precisely; if heads, they win, if tails, everyone else loses. The best rule for a bunch of psychopaths...
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

typhonblue

My suggestion would be some sort of apparati that provides lift, volume and detail rather then skin.

Galt

My suggestion would be some sort of apparati that provides lift, volume and detail rather then skin.

Umm ... Typhonblue ... I think you're taking this a bit TOO seriously.

typhonblue

Umm ... Typhonblue ... I think you're taking this a bit TOO seriously.
[/quote]

Moi? Perish the thought...  :dontknow:

Mr. Nickle

lol

Maybe men should have a cucumber day where we go to work with big veggies down our pants and when women look or comment we shout "HEY! MY EYES ARE UP HERE!"

Don't mention the war! - Basil Fawlty

BRIAN

If you do that and it catches on I will find you and come personally shoot you in the face. :violent5: :laughing6:

Seriously though I don't have a problem with it so long as the skirts don't get so short that the stocking tops show. It isn't a problem until the  women dress so prevocatively that people of both genderscan't help but stare. Then you get into the problem of having a "hostile working environment". Peronally I prefer a woman to wear full fashioned stockings with the back seam and Cuban or French heel.  :toothy9:

Did I mention I am a leg man?
You may sleep soundly at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence upon those who seek to harm you.

Cordell Walker

If you do that and it catches on I will find you and come personally shoot you in the face. :violent5: :laughing6:

Seriously though I don't have a problem with it so long as the skirts don't get so short that the stocking tops show. It isn't a problem until the  women dress so prevocatively that people of both genderscan't help but stare. Then you get into the problem of having a "hostile working environment". Peronally I prefer a woman to wear full fashioned stockings with the back seam and Cuban or French heel.  :toothy9:

Did I mention I am a leg man?

naw.........apple bottom jeans, boots with the fur :toothy9:
did I mention I'm an ass man :greener:

but for real, if you are hired to do a job, you should dress in a manner becoming that job
its like this kid worked with me at a transmission shop would always wear $100 designer jeans to work, like he couldnt fathom the concept of "work clothes"
corperate america needs to be glad I'm not in HR, because I would tell one of those broads quickly that if she wanted to dress like that  the local titty bar is hiring.
when you are on someone elses dollar, that is not the time to express yoruself through your dress code
"how can you kill women and children?"---private joker
"Easy, ya just dont lead em as much" ---Animal Mother

Mr. X

That's right. Don't look.
Let them dress like clowns.... don't look.
Let them be naked... don't look.
Let them dance like sluts... don't look.

Just don't look.
Feminists - "Verbally beating men like dumb animals or ignoring them is all we know and its not working."

Go Up