Alternative medicine goes mainstream

Started by neoteny, Jun 07, 2009, 09:57 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Peter

And some of those alternative treatments do indeed need to be funded. Judge each one by its effectiveness.  If rubbing stones with the left pinky cures then fund it.  If not, throw it out.   That includes treatments via traditional western medicine.

The problem is as usual the double standards. If you come dragging some greenish, leftist alternative, multiculti thing is must not be tested with the same method and precision as you test a chemical compund from a farmaceutical company.

That could prevent the effectiveness of the cure, be disrespectful and racist.
BM-NByw7VE2PwjfTtsVdeE5ipuqx1AqkEv1

Peter

devia

It's been my experience that MD's outright refuse alternative therapy's that do work.
Two examples: I had a reoccurring back problem last year and first went to a doctor who prescribed muscle relaxants. Didn't do a thing except short term relief. A chiropractor fixed me in two weeks. No problems since and in fact last week I had to dig out and replace four yards of soil in my gardens... not a pang after.

Next, my mother was experiencing long term nausea. Ended up being cancer but before we could convince her to get tested her doctor recommended she use gravol. Didn't mention that she try ginger first. As anyone whose used both cures knows ginger is a fantastic remedy for nausea without the side effects of gravol.

Another simple one. Miso paste absorbs radiation in the body, the Japanese used Miso to counter the long-term effects after WW2 (with pretty amazing results, esp comparing to the former Soviet Union). Yet in the west no one uses miso to counter the effects of multiple CT scans etc.

I'm certainly not in favor of qwack medicine but I do know that the drug companies make nothing of the above examples (except for ginger, gravols gotten smart and is now marketing ginger tablets), which I'm pretty certain is why the effectiveness is not being studied.

Mr. X

I'm certainly not in favor of qwack medicine but I do know that the drug companies make nothing of the above examples (except for ginger, gravols gotten smart and is now marketing ginger tablets), which I'm pretty certain is why the effectiveness is not being studied.
Yes the mainstream also has quack solutions based on selling pills or who got the government's ear. Ritalin is a good example. Kids in my day graduated just fine. Teachers dealt with hyper kids. We had recess and weren't handed 8 hours of extra homework after school. But the "expert's" solution is a pill, which BTW some company sells.

One of the effects of national health care is the complete removal of competing industries. Government services always monopolize or they cannot justify their existence.
Feminists - "Verbally beating men like dumb animals or ignoring them is all we know and its not working."

Peter

Jun 09, 2009, 10:40 AM Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 10:43 AM by Peter
Miso paste absorbs radiation in the body, the Japanese used Miso to counter the long-term effects after WW2 (with pretty amazing results, esp comparing to the former Soviet Union).

There are few effective mean of protection against radiation. A lead coat would be ideal, but you cannot run with it.

Wikipedia
It is popularly suggested that cockroaches will "inherit the earth" if humanity destroys itself in a nuclear war. Cockroaches are only 5 times stronger than humans. Cockroaches do indeed have a much higher radiation resistance than vertebrates, with the lethal dose perhaps 6 to 15 times that for humans. However, they are not exceptionally radiation-resistant compared to other insects, such as the fruit fly.[19]

So, cockroaches to the rescue! First you have to grow about 80 000 of them, buy a good down jacket, open the seams and take out so much down that the cockroaches can fit. Sew the seams back.

Mark the jacket with a big felt pen, so you recognise it in an emergency. Do it on the inside, so that desperate survivor won't kill you for it.

Now, do not forget where you store it, so you can quickly find it when the alarm goes. Fruit flies may be more effective, but it is much harder to grow enough of them.

dr e

I was poking fun at your ridiculous barking and jumping examples.  The problem is that often a new and very effective technique will appear to be like barking dogs and jumping on one foot.  Take EMDR which involves simply moving ones hands while the person tracks those movements with their eyes as they remember some trauma.  This apparently silly action produces huge therapeutic gains.  It is one of the only therapeutic techniques that works with night terrors from combat.  It is extremely effective when compared to other modalities and yet on first look it appears to be just about as woo-woo as it can be.  You can't always tell a book by its cover.

Perhaps there is good reason that your screen name is user 0.   :greener:

*Scratches head*  Maybe my screen name should be IQ 0, because I don't know precisely what you mean.  :dontknow:  The user, the 0, both?  I don't know.  :glasses10: In any event, I would be upset to find out my tax dollars were paying for some hippie to pound on a drum as someone's "treatment."  Or even to evaluate the effectiveness of the same as a treatment.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

Go Up