Pa. state trooper dies after chase, shootout

Started by neoteny, Jun 08, 2009, 05:27 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

neoteny

Link to article

Pa. state trooper dies after chase, shootout

TOBYHANNA, Pa. - A man who kidnapped his 9-year-old son in northeastern Pennsylvania led police on a 40-mile chase that ended in a crash followed by an exchange of gunfire that killed him and a state trooper, state police said Monday. Another trooper was wounded and hospitalized, but the boy was not shot.

The chase Sunday night began outside Easton and ended in Coolbaugh Township, Monroe County, in the Pocono Mountains when the suspect crashed his car, according to Pocono Mountain Regional Police Chief Harry Lewis. He said the suspect and police then traded gunfire.

The 31-year-old suspect, whose name was not released, died at the scene, state police said.

Trooper Joshua Miller, 34, was taken to Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown, where he died of his gunshot wounds, police said. His colleague, 35-year-old Robert Lombardo, was listed in satisfactory condition at Community Medical Center in Scranton.

The suspect's son was being checked for injuries as a precaution, but he was not shot, Lewis said.

The chase was set off at around 7:45 p.m. when Nazareth police were responding to a report of a protection-from-abuse order violation involving a weapon, state police said. The suspect then fled with the boy, police said.

State police said the suspect's car was stopped using "police intervention," but did not elaborate.

The two sides exchanged gunfire as police approached the suspect's car, state police said, but it was unknown who fired first.

State police said they planned to release additional details at a news conference later Monday.

----

I'm positive that the whole thing happened in the best interest of the child.
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

dr e

If it was mommy instead of daddy who "kidnapped" her child would they have used deadly force?  I would bet not.  What a tragedy.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

Cordell Walker

somethin similar happened here last year
If I remember correctly the dude drove his car into arlington lake
you know, shit like this makes you wonder, how bad could it be that you wanna do a thing like that?
lets say dude didnt have a history of mental illness or drug abuse; then SOMETHING had to  be the snapping point.
to me this sounds like suicide by cop, except that the boy was brought along and not killed
peace to the trooper and his family
"how can you kill women and children?"---private joker
"Easy, ya just dont lead em as much" ---Animal Mother

scarbo

I can never get past the concept of "kidnapping your own child." Huh? Sounds like an oxymoron.

TheManOnTheStreet

If it was mommy instead of daddy who "kidnapped" her child would they have used deadly force?  I would bet not.  What a tragedy.

Indeed Doc! 

If it were a woman, there would be no mention of kidnapping for starters.  Oh, and of course, there would be calls for helping this poor woman that is "obviously traumatized, distraut, emotionally ill...etc...etc...".

Additionally, say that it was a woman, and they did use deadly force... imagine the cries for the officer(s) heads?

TMOTS
The Man On The Street is on the street for a reason.......

davis2ab

The cops don't do a damn thing when it is the woman.

They tell the guy "it is a civil matter." They tell him to "get a lawyer" and "get an Order."

They will do this even when there is already an Order.

Go get another Order? Absolute bullshit.

Libertariandadd

A man who "kidnapped" his 9-year-old son

Welcome to 1984 Amerika. Utter BS. :angryfire:
'It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers-out of unorthodoxy.' George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

BRIAN

Mom was using the courts to keep Dad away from his own child. Wait....Silly me I keep forgetting children are the SOLE PROPERTY of the mother.
You may sleep soundly at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence upon those who seek to harm you.

Go Up