Equal pay for who ?

Started by poiuyt, Jun 24, 2009, 11:03 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

poiuyt

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8117861.stm
Male workers win equal pay claims

A "landmark" legal decision involving three councils in the north east of England could pave the way for 12,000 men to take forward equal pay claims.

Financial settlements had earlier been agreed for women workers paid less than men doing similar work.

The Employment Appeal Tribunal has now ruled that 300 other male workers were discriminated against as they then remained on lower pay than the women.

The councils involved were Hartlepool, Middlesbrough and South Tyneside.

The men, who were working in jobs such as care assistants, caretakers, drivers and leisure attendants, had lodged discrimination claims about bonuses paid to male workers in better paid jobs such as gardeners and refuse collectors.

This was at the same time as women in low paid jobs, who were also claiming that the bonuses were discriminatory.

'Piggy back'

Whilst the women's case succeeded and they were offered financial settlements, the men were not.

This left them in a worse financial situation than the women, as well as the better-paid men.

The Employment Appeal Tribunal ruled that the 300 men should have been offered the same back pay as the women.

These claims are sometimes called piggy back claims as the men "piggy back" on the successful women's claims.

Mr Justice Underhill said: "It would be surprising and unsatisfactory if the [Equal Pay] Act offered no remedy to men in a situation like the present.

"The case where men and women do the same job but receive different rates of pay is the paradigm of the kind of situation which the Act was intended to prevent, how would it seem if the roles were reversed and the 'piggyback' claimants were not men but women?"

Lawyers involved, from the Cloister Chambers, have described it as a landmark ruling which will have a bearing on many other cases, and could cost councils hundreds of millions of pounds.

Yvette Genn from Cloisters said: "This ruling is what thousands of male workers who have not received equal pay up and down the country have been waiting for.

"There is no doubt that many of the similar 12,000 cases in the system will now proceed and are likely to be successful."

MRAs will tear down this nonsense system of gynocentric misandry and gynotopic structures and institutions by demanding the application of both good and bad laws to all and sundry. That is men, women and even the state must be forced to follow and be subject to its own laws.

neoteny

[...] the state must be forced to follow and be subject to its own laws.

Yup, that's the definition of "the rule of law".
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

Men's Rights Activist

It is heartening to see the legal militancy of MRA's and FRA's growing.
Life, Liberty, & Pursuit of Happiness are fundamental rights for all (including males), & not contingent on gender feminist approval or denial. Consider my "Independence" from all tyrannical gender feminist ideology "Declared" - Here & Now!

SIAM

The men, who were working in jobs such as care assistants, caretakers, drivers and leisure attendants, had lodged discrimination claims about bonuses paid to male workers in better paid jobs such as gardeners and refuse collectors.

Are these public sector jobs? They surely must be......anyway, two things:-

- The UK public sector is broke (no cash) and broken (stupidly inefficient and expensive).  The government spending is going to shrink rapidly over the coming years with years of overspending + bailing out the banks.  Public sector jobs will vanish in large numbers, or you will see what the private sector is doing now : asking workers to take paycuts and/or work less hours.  One thing is for sure : the good thing is they will HAVE to clean up their act and strip out the waste and "jobs for life" mentality (a GOOD thing).

- These jobs - they are different, and demand different rates of pay.  This is common sense, but it's rather amusing to see it taken to the extreme here.  I am of the mindset that things must be taken to an extreme to pave the way for new systems to be put in place.

Tony Ananda

>The Employment Appeal Tribunal ruled that the 300 men should have been offered the same back pay as the women.<

I suppose I should be used to it by now, but it amazes me that THE THOUGHT NEVER OCCURRED TO THEM to give the men the same back pay.  They are just men, after all, the cause of all the world's problems.
When the going gets weird, the wierd turn pro.

User 0

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8117861.stm
Male workers win equal pay claims

These claims are sometimes called piggy back claims as the men "piggy back" on the successful women's claims.

I like how when men stand up for themselves, it's still women's victory.  Men are still just riding their coattails.

Virtue

This is much worse than it looks.....it was a bunch of CAFETERIA workers complaining that they did not make the same money as Garbage collectors (you know the shitty job where you have to be outdoors in all weather?) So they gave raises to the WOMEN so the easy job with lots of flexibility now gets paid the same as the Garbage collectors .....the job that sucks ass that they had to raise the wage so they could get someone to do the job.

Then the male cafeteria workers bitched and complained so they got the settlement too.

This is no victory its just the next clusterfuck.
Imagine waking up tomorrow to find
that unbelievably rape is now legal.

You would be freaking out, telling everyone you ran into this is crazy- something needs to be done... now!!! And then every man you told this to just very smugly and condescendingly says...

"Hey... not all men are 'like that.'"

Ricash39

Exactly Virtue.

I have been following this case. It comes down to the basic feminist principle that a woman has equal worth to a man, and therefor her pay must be the same as a mans - IRRESPECTIVE OF THE WORK SHE DOES.

In this case the women were indeed canteen hands, child care workers and the like. Their jobs were best described as comfortable jobs - working inside, mostly 8am to 4pm, no heavy lifting, comparatively less noise, smell or danger involved. The men whose wages they compared themselves to were uncomfortable jobs - outside in the weather, heavy lifting, elevated risk of injury, early start and much shorter earning lifespan.

The Judges decided that from this day forward people would be paid according to who they are and not what they do.

I see this as a two-card trick. Feminists can degrade the work unskilled men do comfortable in the knowledge that men will still do these jobs. Why? Because feminists have destroyed our boy's education so comprehensively that boys will have no other career option but to take these dirty, dangerous, unskilled, underpaid jobs.

I would note that this caper got started with Wimbledon quite some years back. It was decided after lobbying from feminists that women were to be paid equal pay with the men. This is despite only working 3 sets instead of the 5 the men worked. The women also get the early evening match and men the late evening match, and also the men get the early morning matches, the ladies start later. So women start later, finish earlier, do less work and get paid the same money.

Of course I support equal pay for women, but equal pay for equal work.

And as for sandwich hands getting the same as garbage workers - once we fix education so our boys can read and write again lets see who they get to empty the bins - my prediction - prisoner work gangs composed of men in default of child support because their jobs don't pay what they used to.

Violence Bad, Respect Good, Truth even better

poiuyt

Unless everyone is equally subjected to bad laws, bad laws will persist.

Equal pay legislation and tribunal settlements will continue to be cast as good things if they are exclusively limited to women and other victim-parasites.

Only when men start demanding and getting equal pay as opportunistly as others, will everyone then agree with the absurdity of the concept of equal pay.

Andrew Usher

The men in this case did the right thing in not standing by while women doing the same work got paid more.

'Equal pay' in general is silly, of course, and hopefully some people will see that if men start benefiting also - I don't like people thinking that way, but I know some will.

CaptDMO

So, this complaint wasn't based on an imagined disparity with what men in the same jobs were being paid?

Do UK "public servants" all get the same rate if they go on the dole?
Is it based on prevailing salary, up to a maximum, like in the US?

Is there any distinction in "paid recovery leave" between someone suffering a paper cut, and someone suffering from crushed by a dust bin?

SIAM

It's all dumb - UK government is going bankrupt - the public sector is going to be hurting very soon, many jobs are going to go there.

Go Up