Canadian MRA/Father Ordered to Pay $20,000

Started by dr e, Jul 08, 2009, 05:11 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

dr e

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/father-ordered-to-pay-20000-punishment/article1207517/

Father ordered to pay $20,000 punishment

An Ontario Superior Court judge has ordered a crusading fathers'-rights activist to pay $20,000 to the federal government as punishment for mounting an ill-founded challenge to federal child-support payment guidelines.

Mr. Justice Alan C.R. Whitten ruled that Lucien Khodeir's negligence lawsuit amounted to a delaying tactic designed to forestall him having to pay support orders of $1,230 - including arrears - for Mr. Khodeir's 12- and 14-year-old children.

Several weeks ago, Judge Whitten dismissed the lawsuit after a brief hearing.

"Access to justice does not mean an absence of consequences or responsibilities," he said in the costs ruling. "It is trite to say that no one wishes to discourage meritorious claims, but it would be naive to think that all claims are per se meritorious."

Judge Whitten said that Mr. Khodeir is not a hero, but a public nuisance. He likened Mr. Khodeir to a citizen who phones the fire department to report an emergency: "Having so accessed this service, we should be prepared to face the consequences - costs or otherwise - if we phone in a false alarm or something we can readily extinguish ourselves."

However, Mr. Khodeir said in an interview that the cost ruling is another example of judges shutting the courtroom doors to self-represented litigants who display the audacity to attack a sacred legal shibboleth such as the child-support guidelines.

Mr. Khodeir said that he is in debt "up to my eyeballs," but he will not be deterred from his campaign to overturn guidelines that he regards as unfair, arbitrary and discriminatory toward men.

"I'm not going to give up until I'm either dead or something else stops me from proceeding," Mr. Khodeir said. "They are trying to say that I'm just bitching about my child support, but that is not what I'm doing at all."

Mr. Khodeir - a self-employed Hamilton tax auditor - accused Judge Whitten of making up his mind before ever hearing any arguments in the case.

"Every time I opened my mouth, he would shut me up," Mr. Khodeir said. He added that, out of a total of approximately 50 court appearances he has made, only on one occasion was he treated fairly by a judge.

"I don't expect to win every argument, but I'm fairly intelligent and educated, so I should be able to win one or two arguments along the way," he said. "Generally, judges don't like to hear from self-represented litigants because they consider them a waste of time."

In addition to his failed lawsuit, Mr. Khodeir has been pursuing a separate case in family court that also alleges that the child-support guidelines are an unconstitutional add-on to the Divorce Act.

He claimed that the guidelines were improperly drafted by a group of bureaucrats and family-law experts, and that they fail to take into consideration an individual's ability to pay.

The presiding judge in the family-court motion has reserved his ruling.

In his ruling on the costs award, Judge Whitten conceded that Mr. Khodeir is an intelligent man who is adept at citing past judgments and precedents.

However, Judge Whitten said that he was not impressed by the purported novelty of Mr. Khodeir's submissions, nor by his elaborate attempt to present himself as being "the model of reasonableness."
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

outdoors

sshhshsh don't say a word........while we rape your ass--OR ELSE!!!!

neoteny

This is total & utter bullshit. There used to be a fed. govt. program in Canuckistan for women's groups to challenge federal law... funded by the federal govt. When a man does it, it is 'nuisance'. I can't believe that this judgement would survive a challenge under the Charter Of Rights And Freedoms... if there would be a lawyer who would take it on pro bono.
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

outdoors

Did i mention?

Canada hates men and fathers

neoteny

Did i mention?

Canada hates men and fathers

Yeah, and they aren't particularly subtle about it, either.
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

Quentin0352

"SHUT THE FUCK UP AND PAY!" should be the new national motto so we can stop wasting time thinking there might be some equality and reasonable thinking.

Nillerz

Maybe if he was represented by a lawyer he'd get a little more respect in the courtroom. Doesn't change the fact that he shouldn't be getting ordered to pay 20,000, that's pure bullshit, but it might help out a tad
Evolution doesn't stop at the neck.

User 0

Maybe if he was represented by a lawyer he'd get a little more respect in the courtroom. Doesn't change the fact that he shouldn't be getting ordered to pay 20,000, that's pure bullshit, but it might help out a tad

The message about being self represented seems to be no matter how well you know your shit, pay into our racket, or we'll shut you out from the start.

dr e

The message about being self represented seems to be no matter how well you know your shit, pay into our racket, or we'll shut you out from the start.

exactly.  It's a game and if you can play without paying it ruins their income stream. We are fooked.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

outdoors

i had no say in f-all once i hired a scumfuck family lawyer--the minute i fired his extortionist ass--i had say in everything

Sir Jessy of Anti

This must go to the supreme court!
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand<br /><br />

Sir Jessy of Anti

Mr. Khodeir has been pursuing a separate case in family court that also alleges that the child-support guidelines are an unconstitutional add-on to the Divorce Act.

He claimed that the guidelines were improperly drafted by a group of bureaucrats and family-law experts, and that they fail to take into consideration an individual's ability to pay.

Umm bread and butter under siege.  Does not compute.  Please fine litigant to discourage likemindedness!!!!!!   ERRRROOOR  ERROR ERROR ERROR.  DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand<br /><br />

Go Up