Perfect example of what the "establishment" does with "studies"...

Started by TheManOnTheStreet, Jul 08, 2009, 06:39 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

TheManOnTheStreet

http://www.scsuscholars.com/2009/07/what-is-missing-dads.html

What Is Missing? Dads

This article by Katie Powalski of the Orlando Sentinel, published in the St. Paul Pioneer Press (PP) talks about a survey by Babytalk Magazine. In summary, Katie's article states that "Babytalk Mag. found many married women feel it might sometimes be easier to go the mommy route, alone." Key reasons for their conclusions included: The idea of not fighting with a partner over the best way to raise a child; not having the chore of keeping up a healthy marriage (69%); not dealing with in-laws (30%). According to Ms Powalski, single moms agree, with two-thirds of unmarried moms feeling it would be harder to be a parent if there were a man in the house.

I tracked other information related to the survey. Powalski's article was a bit selective in what it emphasize. Ignored in the PP/Sentinel article is the following statement from the survey: " a whopping 81% of unmarried moms also agreed that "marriage is a sacred institution" and that "a child needs two parents." And 64% admitted that they "wish they were married." Other key points were omitted, including the fact that a number of the people interviewed were in long-term, live-in relationships with the father of their child. The filter process was at work.

My husband and I just saw the movie, Up., a delightful story about a curmudgeon who takes a fantastic adventure with a young boy whose father is missing. Without spoiling the plot, it is quite apparent that the boy wants a man in his life.

I have done it all: Career, postponed first marriage, had a son, divorced, remarried 11 years after the divorce. During my "single parent" stage (of 12 years or so), I did everything I could to provide my son with male models (our family was out of state, his dad moved to the east coast, but our son did visit him): Doctors, Boy Scouts, Big Brother, karate, male teachers. Kids, boys in particular, need men in their lives because they do NOT need to emulate females. I was very fortunate, my son's step-dad provided that visible male role model that he (and all kids) needed. My second husband was there for most of my son's high school years, college, and now, career.

My conclusion on the PP/Sentinel article is that it focused far too much on the mom - it's the kids who need to be the focus. Survey after survey find that kids simply do better with dad in the house.

KING ADDS: Mrs. S and I saw Up between my trips, and loved it. If you are a father of a son with whom you have a less-than-full relationship, watch this movie and get your resolve Up.

Sickening...

TMOTS
The Man On The Street is on the street for a reason.......

poiuyt

According to Ms Powalski, single moms agree, with two-thirds of unmarried moms feeling it would be harder to be a parent if there were a man in the house.

... but they then find it real easy to parent where "man not in the house" pays costs and meets expenses for their living, eating, drinking, sleeping and shitting.

Degenerate yes, but even some men MRAs no less, agree with the above because men and women are different and ... ... you know.

Mr. Bad

According to Ms Powalski, single moms agree, with two-thirds of unmarried moms feeling it would be harder to be a parent if there were a man in the house.

... but they then find it real easy to parent where "man not in the house" pays costs and meets expenses for their living, eating, drinking, sleeping and shitting.

I was thinking the same thing:  It's easier for single moms when there isn't a man around, as long as his money is there in full and on time.
"Men in teams... got the human species from caves to palaces. When we watch men's teams at work, we pay homage to 10,000 years of male achievements; a record of vision, ingenuity and Herculean labor that feminism has been too mean-spirited to acknowledge."  Camille Paglia

wractor

My ex thought she was the perfect parent (by herself)...except her 2 kids never did anything. They never GOT to do anything, except go to school, watch TV, and eat. (once I got there, they got to go out to some cool places like Wonderworks, but all I got was a barely-heard 'thanks'). One plays guitar and is gradually getting better at it; the other plays World Of Warcraft (24/7) on the computer that my Ex gave me, and then took back. But her kids have no other skills whatsoever. (I hope WoW cuts the younger one a check sometime in the future, or else he's f**ked.) When Mother's Day came around, I asked them to do something special for their Mom. They said "What? We don't have any money, she doesn't give us any..." And I said "Can't you write her a POEM, or doctor up a photograph or something?" Hell no. So I had to buy flowers and a cake in THEIR name.
From my experience, Single Moms think they're great if their kids simply SURVIVE...although it's DADS that teach their kids important life lessons and technical skills.
"If you're going through Hell...Keep Going."--Winston Churchill.
(Sites by KK: www.RockHerWorld.Net, www.Focusgroup.ning.com)

bluegrass

The thing that's really striking about all of it is just the sort of essential tone of entitlement.

They really take their roles as gatekeepers to the entire family utterly for granted.  The whole thing can be read as "To what degree of gatekeeping would make your life the easiest?"

The rest of the discussion occurs from there without questioning that premise.
"To such females, womanhood is more sacrosanct by a thousand times than the Virgin Mary to popes--and motherhood, that degree raised to astronomic power. They have eaten the legend about themselves and believe it; they live it; they require fealty of us all." -- Philip Wylie, Generation of Vipers

SIAM

They really take their roles as gatekeepers to the entire family utterly for granted.  The whole thing can be read as "To what degree of gatekeeping would make your life the easiest?"

Yes - it is the arrogant assumption that they are above reproach in terms of their custody of children, and their capability to be the custodian.  I would even call it hubris.  The issue of the impact no father has on kids isn't even up for discussion. 

Go Up