Windows 7

Started by ., Oct 26, 2009, 03:25 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Just bought and installed my copy of Windows 7, upgrading from Vista.  My computer seems to run faster, looks slicker, and even has some new features that let me watch and record television, circumventing my need to subscribe to cable or dish programming.  I can even patch in my Netflix account.  Bye-bye, TiVo.

dr e

Just bought and installed my copy of Windows 7, upgrading from Vista.  My computer seems to run faster, looks slicker, and even has some new features that let me watch and record television, circumventing my need to subscribe to cable or dish programming.  I can even patch in my Netflix account.  Bye-bye, TiVo.

All I have heard so far on 7 is good.  While I love my mac I may be updating some other computers that are still using XP.  Sounds like it might be a good time for that.  Thanks for this John.  Please keep us posted if you wouldn't mind.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

Galt

I updated to Windows 7 as well, and I like it so far.

Galt

I downloaded the beta version long ago and got all of my programs ready for it - I was surprised that I had even fewer problems with the purchased version than the beta version (and there weren't many problems with drivers etc. there).

PowerMan72

Yeah, I was a beta tester also. Windows 7 seems to outperform Vista on the same hardware (especially older hardware). Significantly faster startup/shutdown, sleep, and hibernation too. I strongly advise everyone to do a clean install though. People are reporting that it takes 3-5 hours to upgrade in place.
Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan: "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

PowerMan72

Oct 26, 2009, 04:19 PM Last Edit: Oct 26, 2009, 04:21 PM by PowerMan72
By the way, you can get Windows 7 for $30 provided you have a qualifying .edu email address. College/university alumni accounts may qualify! . . .

http://www.win741.com/

Even if you don't have a .edu email, don't bother buying the full install version. Just buy an upgrade disc and follow the instructions here . . .

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp
Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan: "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

Sir Jessy of Anti

Does it recognize the word Misandry yet?  :laughing6:
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand<br /><br />

Installation was pretty easy for me.  After a few initial screens, it went on autopilot and installed itself.  It even rebooted a few times and I didn't need to tend to it because it kept right on going after rebooting.  I went out for several hours, came back, and it was all done.

The desktop looks simply beautiful.  It uses a slide show that changes the wallpaper as frequently as (what seems) every couple hours or so.  There are sweeping landscapes, images of nature, conceptual art, and even some nice sound schemes too.  It all seems so much more organized too.  The navigation after you press the Start button is vastly improved.  You no longer need to keep moving your mouse anymore through endless and ever-expanding menus and submenus; instead, navigation is a lot like it works on the iPod.  Menus now slide and expand into other menus all while occupying the same amount of space on the screen.  If your menu of programs grows, you can scroll lower, but you don't have to possess a lot of mouse dexterity like you did under previous versions of Windows.

There are also a lot of more subtle but cool features too, like keyboard shortcuts and mouse actions that clear away extraneous windows, or position windows for side-by-side comparison with other windows, etc.

I'm telling you, it's slick.

Galt

Microsoft usually alternates Good/Bad/Good/Bad ... with regard to its operating systems:

Windows 95 - Good
Windows 98 - Some problems
Windows 98 SE - Better
Windows Millennium - Bad
Windows XP - Good
Windows Vista - Bad
Windows 7 - Good

So I think I'm not going to update to Windows 8 right away (when that one comes out in a few years).

jugrnot

Galt you missed 2000, arguably a good version.

Virtue

Mac OS is much better!

Windows puts food on my table because it breaks all the time and people pay me to fix it.

Keep using windows I like money !
Imagine waking up tomorrow to find
that unbelievably rape is now legal.

You would be freaking out, telling everyone you ran into this is crazy- something needs to be done... now!!! And then every man you told this to just very smugly and condescendingly says...

"Hey... not all men are 'like that.'"

BRIAN

Mac OS is much better!

Windows puts food on my table because it breaks all the time and people pay me to fix it.

Great. If I don't want any apps or software I will switch to MAC.
You may sleep soundly at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence upon those who seek to harm you.

dr e

Actually Brian you can get most of our windows software to run on a mac.  I have a few programs that I didn't want to give up and when I need to run them I run XP in a window on my imac.  Best of both worlds.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

gunshy

I agree 100%. I have been using the 64 bit Windows 7 beta for about 2 months now and I'm 99%
happy. The only snag is the 64 bit Windows internet explorer won't play YouTube type videos, but I like Mozilla better anyways.

The part about loading it is right too, I was amazed by how fast I had it set up and ready to go... maybe 20 -30 minutes total.

It has a cloning program included too. So if you lose a hard drive you, within 20 minutes you can have everything reloaded with all your
data and settings 100% back (I haven't had to use it yet so I can't vouch as to how well it works).

Sorry Isnt Good Enough

Mac OS is much better!

Great. If I don't want any apps or software I will switch to MAC.

...and if I want to wait nine minutes between pressing the power button on my laptop and being able to open up a program, I'll switch to WINDOWS.

"To my considerable chagrin, we found that at least 60 percent of all the rape allegations were false." --Dr. Charles P. McDowell, Supervisory Special Agent, U.S. Air Force, Office of Special Investigations.

Go Up