1000 Days Later: Confessions of a Recovering Romance Addict

Started by Matt, Dec 04, 2003, 10:59 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Galt

<<I've noticed that many of my male friends' ideas of "the physical ideal" have changed as they've gotten older.>>

Agreed.  I already hit the dreaded 40, and I wouldn't want a 20-year-old or even 25-year-old at all.  Too ditzy and stupid (yes, and I was even more ditzy and stupid when I was 20, so no "misogynist" comments).  Older women are smarter, cooler and a lot more fun.  And their bodies also look fine to me (although ... ahem ... I'm sure that I still have MY Adonis, muscular shape at my age ... well, kinda).

Daymar

"No more are they insistent upon the rail thin"

Where did this idea that men like rail thin women come from? I hear it mentioned all the time but I've never met anyone who ever thought rail thin women were ideal. Maybe decent looking sometimes but not ideal. Especially not the anorexic catwalk models.

nebulousone

In my experience, younger men like thin girls.

I realize this doesn't apply to every young man.  I also realize that what's "ideal" here in Los Angeles probably varies greatly from other parts of the country.

It's mostly an observation I've made.  As men get older  (or more mature...Hugh Hefner's an old man who acts like a teenager), they don't seem to find super thin girls as attractive as they once did.  Or they may still find them attractive but they've broadened their scope to include other types of women.
i]Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.[/i]
~Abraham Lincoln

Galt

My sister used to live in Los Angeles.  While visiting a few times, I noticed that all of the women want a millionaire (they don't seem to be picky as to the field, even a physician or attorney would do) ... and all of the men want massive tits with clear signs of surgical enhancement, combined with a tiny waist and an IQ of 40.

Face it, you live in a weird state.

Galt

The first question there upon going into a bar is "What kind of car do you drive" (you better answer Mercedes, or the conversation is over) and the second is "So, like, what do you do for a living?".  Admittedly the men are just as shallow, but they only have to use their visual facilities to assess the extent of surgical enhancement.  Not that it's all superficial or anything.

nebulousone

I'm one of those Californians who points and laughs at Mercedes drivers.  I'm just not impressed by Mercedes or the people who drive them.  Most of them annoy me on the road; they often drive as if they own the road.  

Wankers.

We do like our cars here though, some people pay more for their car than they do (proportionately) on their housing.  I think a lot of it has come from a place of necessity-huge city with terrible public transportation-some people spend more time in their cars than they do at home, I guess it stands to reason that they'd be willing to pay for a nicer car with more amenities.
~Abraham Lincoln

nebulousone

The newest group of drivers deserving of being pointed and laughed at are the Hummer drivers.

Hummers are everywhere now, they're becoming the new SUV.
~Abraham Lincoln

Matt

Quote from: "Sir Jessy of Anti"

That's pretty profound.  I tell myself this all the time.  However, I know that being alone is not the  optimal situation as humans are gregarious creatures ontologically.  A pundit would say at this point that
perhaps an individual expressing this sentiment is not ready nor prepared for the commitment itself, never mind the (for lack of a better word) altruism and resolve it takes to make a relationship work.  What would you say to them?

I would say that the level of maturity required to make such a commitment would involve the ability to realistically assess the probability of failure in any pursuit in which one engages, and to be prepared to accept it. Life does not always work out to our optimal specifications, and those who cannot realistically accept the possibility of their being forever alone (and to have a contingency plan for use if that becomes the case) are not ready to pursue any relationship, let alone a lifelong one.
url=http://www.mattweeks.com]
[/url]

Amber

Quote from: "Matt"
Once again, blaming women is far too simplistic. I had a problem, and it was my responsibility to solve it. I'm not going to be like one of those drug addicts who blames his socioeconomic circumstances for the developing of his addiction. I don't care what caused it. I had to cure it. And I did. End of story.

Matt, I think I'm in love with you from the above paragraph alone.  :D

Am I going to be consumed with seratonine and dopamine like hormones now?  ;)  :D
he men's movement is a hate movement.  

What feminism is to men; the men's rights movement is to women.

Men's rights activists blame misandry for all their problems in the same way that feminists blame the patriarchy.

The only thing men's rights activists are good at is abusing women.  

And you can quote me on that.  :D

Matt

Quote from: "Amber"

Matt, I think I'm in love with you from the above paragraph alone.  :D

Am I going to be consumed with seratonine and dopamine like hormones now?  ;)  :D

*blushes*

If you're the type to fall in love with poeple for their writing, then I suppose it's possible...of course, the chemical trigger in that case would be seeing my name and avatar  :wink:

Matt

Thanks for the sentiment, Amber. It made my day.
[/url]

Amber

Matt

*perches up like cat*   RoooWWWRRrrr.
he men's movement is a hate movement.  

What feminism is to men; the men's rights movement is to women.

Men's rights activists blame misandry for all their problems in the same way that feminists blame the patriarchy.

The only thing men's rights activists are good at is abusing women.  

And you can quote me on that.  :D

Daymar

Why wouldn't you care what caused it Matt? Sure it's not very bright to whine about it all the time but understanding the reasons is.. intelligent.

Nebulous, what's your definition of a thin girl then? Personally I don't really care if a girl has a little more meat on her and I don't care about huge breasts either, and I never have. I kind of have a problem with people saying it's ok to be overweight though. It's all about habit really. There's only one way to gain or lose weight, changing your caloric equilibrium. In countries like Russia where they don't have enough money to waste on excess it's unheard of for someone to be overweight. So in America with all the fast food there's a lot of overweight people. I don't think it's a big sin to be overweight but I don't think you can say it's natural either.

Matt

Quote from: "gmk1212"
Why wouldn't you care what caused it Matt? Sure it's not very bright to whine about it all the time but understanding the reasons is.. intelligent.

Attempting to discern the reasons behind it can be a useful exercise of the mind after the fact, but it doesn't change the necessity of dealing with the existing problem. Your wake up in the morning with your bedsheets soaked in blood and a 6-inch wound across your chest. Do you want to know what caused the wound right then and there or do you want to get to a hospital and get it sewn up first and maybe worry about the causes later?
[/url]

nebulousone

GMK, thin as in Hollywood thin.  As in no meat except in the boobs.  Again, I realize that where I live has a big effect on the way I see things because skinny girls with big tatas are a dime a dozen here.

I am aware that there are girls who are just naturally thin; I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with that.  My statements weren't trying to promote any sort of body image, either overweight or otherwise.  I was referring to men's desires and my observation that they seem to change or broaden as men mature.
~Abraham Lincoln

Sir Jessy of Anti

I would say that the level of maturity required to make such a commitment would involve the ability to realistically assess the probability of failure in any pursuit in which one engages, and to be prepared to accept it. Life does not always work out to our optimal specifications, and those who cannot realistically accept the possibility of their being forever alone (and to have a contingency plan for use if that becomes the case) are not ready to pursue any relationship, let alone a lifelong one.

Good answer.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand<br /><br />

Go Up