Controversial, but probably (unfortunately) true

Started by wractor, Jun 09, 2010, 05:12 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

wractor

This is from one of my favorite bloggers...I wish it weren't true, but all evidence points to the contrary...

Monday, June 07, 2010
My Speech to the Graduating Class of 2010
Please feel free to forward this essay to any would-be or recent graduates ... and their parents.
~Dantalion Jones

The Three Sign Posts of Destruction
by Dantalion Jones

Please allow me to address those students who are facing graduation and the possibility of a new life.

I offer this first with my greatest hopes for your future and I also offer this as a cautionary tale.

Lately, I've been watching a lot of TruTV and DateLine Mystery. Most of these shows are about terrible crimes done by people who seem to start out as good upstanding citizens.

Some how they find their way down the slippery slow where they are either murdered, commit a murder, or resort to some other criminal behavior.

My questions are "How did it start?" and "What could have been done?".

After some thought it seems so clear. These were all people who were young and idealistic with ambitions. All of them set out to "live the dream". But every last one of them, did one or all these three things: Marriage, Family, Home Ownership.

Marriage

Face it, marriage only seems like a good idea until after you've done it.

When the honeymoon ends is when reality sets in and you realize that you have severely restricted your options.

I'm not referring to just your options for sex. I referring to most ALL your options. Do you want to let your laundry pile up a day longer? That won't happen when you're married.

Do you want to start that business you always wanted?

The way your mom told you how to do dishes, that is no longer a viable alternative. Your spouses way is now mandatory.

Do you want to innocently say hello to a man or woman without having to explain your actions?

Once you are married every action you want to make is up for either negotiation or explanation.

Let us not forget that it may take a couple of years to reveal a further truth .... your spouse is insane. They could be a gambler, a shop-a-holic, manic-depressive, obsessive-compulsive, sex addict, cross dresser or they could be just working out their mommy/daddy issues with you ... just ask a few married people what they discovered after a few years within the institution.

This is immediately followed by years of denial then years more of therapy, damage control and problem solving.

Remember, there is almost no way you can see this at the onset of your hormonal enchantment. That is how insidious marriage can be.

Have a Family

Three words: John and Kate.

Like marriage this next step may start off like an adventure but can end up like the Temple of Doom.

The difference between marriage and family is the difference between a 10 year sentence and life imprisonment.

With kids all your previous options are now completely shut off. Your only recourse is to fake your death and start anew. According to TruTV and Dateline this last recourse is much more difficult than it seems.

Failing the fake-your-death option you must do what many have done. Abandon hope and surrender to the fact your life will never be what you once dreamed it to be.

Strangely, this is the point where family becomes your great resource, for they become the life-support to your surrender and help to cloud your resignation and despair. The family will comfort you as long as you obediently remain confined and cloistered from your now fading hopes and dreams. This is what Morgan Freeman's character described in "Shawshank Redemption" as becoming "institutionalized".

Buying a House

Home ownership helps bring to the surface everyone's hopes and ideals as well as deepest fears and insecurities.

With a home and a family you discover that there are bills to pay that you could have never imagined possible.

If you've ever wondered if you could afford to buy a house then you can't afford it.

I will have to admit that there are people who can successfully balance all three of these potential hazards. Those who manage them well can make it look easy. In so doing they help build the illusion that we can do it with just as much grace and poise.

So, my young graduates, I ask all of you to remember this speech and I ask you to remember that I told you that you WILL forget everything I've just told you.

Forgetting this warning is a fact of life and due to hormones, blind ambition, a sense of immortality and lack of life experience it is biologically ingrained in you. You will not follow these warnings.

Ten years from now you will gather together at a reunion and a few of you will circle together. Leaning forward, with drink in hand you will look down and in an awkward silence you will shake your head and say "Remember that guy who warned us about marriage, family and buying a home?" Silence will follow those words, for they all know what you're referring to.

"He was right."

"If you're going through Hell...Keep Going."--Winston Churchill.
(Sites by KK: www.RockHerWorld.Net, www.Focusgroup.ning.com)

neoteny

Not bad, not bad...
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

Pacman7331

Yep... predictable and feminizing.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with marriage... just not on planet earth thats all.

The Biscuit Queen

That is one way to look at it.

The glass is half empty way.

I think it makes me a better person. Makes me accountable, more reliable, more considerate and thoughtful. I married the man who is now my best friend, and I wouldn't change it if we were living in a tent out in the woods or under a bridge. Sure we have our problems, but any lifestyle has its problems.

he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

dr e

That is one way to look at it.

The glass is half empty way.

I think it makes me a better person. Makes me accountable, more reliable, more considerate and thoughtful. I married the man who is now my best friend, and I wouldn't change it if we were living in a tent out in the woods or under a bridge. Sure we have our problems, but any lifestyle has its problems.

Ditto.

The problem now is the feminized courts, laws, expectations etc. 
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

wractor

To be sure, marriage is still a good deal...for Women, though.
"If you're going through Hell...Keep Going."--Winston Churchill.
(Sites by KK: www.RockHerWorld.Net, www.Focusgroup.ning.com)

The Biscuit Queen

Marriage can be a good deal for men as well. The problem is its a huge gamble, and I don't blame anyone for being to wary to take it.
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

Go Up