Why I feel tongue-tied running minority mother support group

Started by closetrightyNYC, Dec 12, 2003, 03:04 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

closetrightyNYC

Quote from: "Galt"
The problem I always had with social work - although I readily admit that it is needed in some cases in society - was that terms like "intervention" could be negatively interpreted as "butting in".  

I think that in a case in which children are being beaten (I mean ... really beaten), for instance, the state should intervene.  But this has been extended to so much more, and so much more nonsense.

And when I read cases like the ones in Florida in which the case worker simply forged her travel sheets - claiming to visit families she never did - and a little girl turned up dead - I wonder about the level of competency in those organizations.

I agree--I have no problem with child protective services intervening in very severe cases.  What is always beyong me, however, is how these severe beating/starving cases seem to get ignored, whereas the second you tell a supervisor that someone is spanking their child or left them home alone for 20 minutes, the call is made faster than you can say your own name.

I really don't get how leaving a 8-10 year old child home alone for a very short period of time is now considered neglect.  If that had been true in the '80's, my parents would be in jail and I'd be a foster child.  They used to leave me home voluntarily because I wanted to stay home and watch TV instead of coming with them to pick up my sister at basketball practice.  They taught me all emergency numbers to call, what not to touch, and how to handle it if the doorbell rings, among other things.  These things used to be taught universally.  Now I hear about children that age who are left in an apartment alone for like half an hour while Mom gets milk across the street, and CPS is called.  At my last internship, they threatened to call CPS because a mom left her baby on the bed in her room  for about 30 seconds while a neighbor across the halll handed her something.  WTF?
acist, Sexist, Anti-Straight
Left-wing Freaks, Stop your Hate!

Galt

I guess that every profession tries to expand its sphere of influence.  And the government does that in any case.

Galt

It would probably be more efficient if they concentrated on the REAL cases (beating/starving/neglect and the like).  But the mission has expanded so much that the REAL cases are sometimes being ignored, either because the case worker now has so much to do (with the smaller cases) or because the government doesn't seem to value competence anymore (affirmative action and the like are more important than skill or competence).

Amber

Closet, I say f*ck those commie bastards who tell you you need to join a class for OTHER people's self interest and not your own.
he men's movement is a hate movement.  

What feminism is to men; the men's rights movement is to women.

Men's rights activists blame misandry for all their problems in the same way that feminists blame the patriarchy.

The only thing men's rights activists are good at is abusing women.  

And you can quote me on that.  :D

D

Funny how it was feminism that was one of the strongest supporters of cps.  Seems to be working against women now doesn't it?   :?

neoteny

Quote from: "Dan Lynch"
Funny how it was feminism that was one of the strongest supporters of cps.  Seems to be working against women now doesn't it?   :?

Yeppers, Heart on the MSBoards regularly tossed a belt over womyn being fucked over by CPS...  :lol:
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

dr e

Closet - Sorry I missed your reply.  

It seems they are trying to use you to incorporate these women into the culture of permissible affairs?   Hmmmm, I would bet that diversity is honored, at least in writing, and you may be able to use that to a degree.  Could you ask the women about peers of theirs who they may admire in their responses?  Maybe even ask about heroes and heroines of their culture who have found ways to work with this sort of issue.  I think I might try and steer things into an area of honoring their culture and history as a means to both help them and to foil the attempts of the nutty co-leader to use you for her own purposes.  I think the co-leader would be hard pressed to censor you for honoring their culture, friends and successful strategies.  If she did take issue with what you said it would put out front her motive of trying to push her values onto these clients and that should be an easy peice to deflate.

What do you think?
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

Go Up