Selling drugs illegal, selling sex not illegal?

Started by SIAM, Jul 31, 2010, 10:15 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

SIAM

Just wondering why police don't punish prostitutes for breaking the law, but punish drug dealers for breaking the law? 

I'm for legalising prostitution by the way, but as it stands it seems only the customers of prostitutes are charged with breaking the law, but prostitutes aren't.

Compare with drugs: drug dealers face heavier punishments than the people they supply. 

There seems to be an inconsistency here.

neoteny

Drug dealers don't have a claim on victim status; prostitutes do.
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

SIAM

Drug dealers don't have a claim on victim status; prostitutes do.

So a prostitute defines herself as a victim by breaking the law.  A drug dealer can't make such a case as to why he or she deals drugs.  As I say, there seems to be an inconsistency here with the law.

neoteny

As I say, there seems to be an inconsistency here with the law.

Obviously; I'm not questioning your observation, I was just pointing out the PC answer.
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

wractor

As it happens, prostitutes are punished for breaking the law, all the time. While living in Las Vegas, I read that the police were "slamming girls with jail time"...while in the rural counties, brothels remain legal.
But Vegas's "slamming girls with jail time" doesn't accomplish a whole lot, their pimps either bail them out, or not...and the girls won't 'roll over' on their pimps, that the cops are really hoping to bust.

So it's WHAM (gavel sound) "$500! Next! WHAM $500! Next! WHAM $500! Next!" If you made $500 a minute, what would be the enticement to stop? (Follow the money, as usual.)

Indeed, prostitution should be legal...it IS legal in the sense that some men won't get sex until they cough up a diamond.
"If you're going through Hell...Keep Going."--Winston Churchill.
(Sites by KK: www.RockHerWorld.Net, www.Focusgroup.ning.com)

SIAM

I never knew that about Las Vegas.  In the UK, prostitutes openly walk around looking for business in well known areas.  The police hang around waiting for "johns" to arrest them, but not the prostitutes.  It just seems strange if prostitution is illegal, why not arrest those supplying the illegal trade? Cut it off at source.  It's almost (well not "almost", ACTUALLY) like the police are acting as some kind of moral authority to men only, not women (you just cannot judge women, men are fair game of course). 

It's weird when you compare it to drug dealing where dealers get HEAVILY punished, and users much less so.  Total opposite when it comes to prostitution. 

I understand things are different depending where you live.

Cordell Walker

one reason I beleive that drug dealers are punished harder than prostitutes is that in the goverment's eyes, dealers are more of a potential threat to goverment power. some drug dealers use drug money as a springboard into legit business and even politics. not so much with prostitutes. you never hear of prostitutes aquiring caches of arms, financing polictical campaigns etc.
"how can you kill women and children?"---private joker
"Easy, ya just dont lead em as much" ---Animal Mother

neoteny

[...] in the goverment's eyes, dealers are more of a potential threat to goverment power. some drug dealers use drug money as a springboard into legit business and even politics.

Indeed; and who makes the laws which drive up the price of drugs to the point that it provides the wholesale dealers with pathetic amount of monies? Said govt.

Wikipedia has the following to say about Joe Kennedy:

At the start of the Franklin Roosevelt administration, Kennedy and James Roosevelt founded Somerset Importers, an entity that acted as the exclusive American agent for Gordon's Dry Gin and Dewar's Scotch. They assembled a large inventory of stock, which they allegedly sold for a profit of millions of dollars when Prohibition was repealed. Kennedy invested this money in residential and commercial real estate in New York, Le Pavillon restaurant, and Hialeah Race Track in Hialeah, Florida. His most important purchase was the largest office building in the country, Chicago's Merchandise Mart, which gave his family an important base in that city and an alliance with the Irish-American political leadership there.

Even if it is true (a decided 'if') that Joe Kennedy wasn't involved in bootlegging, he definitely exploited Prohibition and its consequences to enrich himself and found a political dynasty.

Go Up