Glass ceiling - Women on board: help or hindrance?

Started by Peter, Dec 18, 2003, 04:39 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Peter

November 11, 2003

Women on board: help or hindrance?
By Elizabeth Judge
SO MUCH for smashing the glass ceiling and using their unique skills to enhance the performance of Britain's biggest companies. The march of women into the country's boardrooms is not always triumphant -- at least in terms of share price performance.

Analysis of FTSE 100 shares shows that companies that decline to embrace political correctness by installing women on the board perform better than those that actively promote sexual equality at the very top.

Research from Cranfield School of Management shows that the number of women directors in the FTSE 100 has risen 20 per cent over the past year. A record 101 directorships are now in the hands of women. However, of the top ten companies in the Cranfield index -- which rates FTSE 100 companies according to the number of women on the board -- 60 per cent have underperformed the FTSE 100 this year.

Meanwhile, companies at the bottom of the Cranfield index, with a woeful lack of female representation on their boards, have generally outperformed the index since the start of the year.
BM-NByw7VE2PwjfTtsVdeE5ipuqx1AqkEv1

The Gonzman

Amazing, isn't it?  All these advocates of the "Female Management Style" conveniently forget that the male, hierarchical, authoritarian model has a proven track record.  I guess some generations who forget the lessons of the past are bound to repeat the mistakes anew.

Proof is in the pudding, as they say.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the MEANEST son-of-a-bitch in the valley.

Pernicious

If a person knows exactly their role (worker drone), and what they are supposed to do, they will find it easier and work more reliably than someone whose tasks and duties change daily.

In a hierarchy, every person knows what they are supposed to do. Everyone knows their roles and responsibilities.

In (whatever we have now), no one knows what they are ultimately responsible for, and are ultimately responsible for everything.
 do what I need to do to protect my loved ones, friends, and family. This is what men do.

bluegrass

Quote from: "Gonzokid"
Amazing, isn't it?  All these advocates of the "Female Management Style" conveniently forget that the male, hierarchical, authoritarian model has a proven track record.  I guess some generations who forget the lessons of the past are bound to repeat the mistakes anew.

Proof is in the pudding, as they say.

I work in management in the biotech field and put quite a lot of thought into leadership philosophy.  One thing I note form your post is the use of the term "authoritarian."  I'm not sure if you're intending a different meaning or not, but I'd say the most effective style is not authoritarian, but authoritative.  Authoritarian leadership is leadership where power emanates mainly from position -- I'm the boss so this is how it is.  

Authoritative leadership which is I believe much more powerful derives authority from technical competence and what I call a philosophy of "service" to the people who work for you -- ie you look out for their interests and you hold your position as an effective leader mainly through their approval and trust in you.

One thing I've observed is that very often women choose the authoritarian model -- usually without realizing it -- and alienate the groups that work for them.  They end up kind of like a short guy with a Napoleon complex.  They blame and point fingers when someone fucks up rather than march into the VP's office and take responsibility for someone else's mistakes.  While the latter approach may be more risky, in the end you'll gain more respect all around and will advance ahead of the authoritarian.

I will abolutely agree with you, though that hierarchy -- or chain of command -- is extremely important and not for why the feminists will claim.  Usually you hear about power in arguing why it's a negative way to run things.  But it's really about responsibility.  Everyone needs to know what their roles are and what's expected of them.  As I said above, in a good command structure, the leader works more to "serve" those who work for him or her.
"To such females, womanhood is more sacrosanct by a thousand times than the Virgin Mary to popes--and motherhood, that degree raised to astronomic power. They have eaten the legend about themselves and believe it; they live it; they require fealty of us all." -- Philip Wylie, Generation of Vipers

Galt

<<They blame and point fingers when someone fucks up ...>>

I'm not sure if that's authoritarian or simply an unwillingness to take responsibility.

devia

Good management is about bringing out the strengths of the people you manage, it is not about trying to prove yourself.

What I've noticed.
Older women who started their careers when women were not expected to go into management more often then not have a chip on their shoulders.  20 years of working and seeing men promoted ahead of you (bank tellers for example) will give a person baggage. These people cannot be effective managers.

Younger woman who have chosen management as their career choice do not carry this baggage. There is a huge difference between the person with a BA in business and the person who was finally promoted without the necessary skills.

The new manager at work is a brilliant (photographic memory amongst other things) 24-year-old woman. From what I've seen she is an affective manager.

Imo the jury is out on female management until we get the ones with baggage out of the workforce. Much like female firefighters the problem is not that woman are allowed to compete for those jobs the problem is that those jobs have been handed to them in order to fill quotas without having the necessary skills.

For the record, I was a assume boss (or so I was told).

Galt

<< ... the problem is that those jobs have been handed to them in order to fill quotas ... >>

That's kind of the whole problem with affirmative action today, no matter what group you're talking about.

[Sarcasm] I'll be flying in a few days, and I know that I will certainly value diversity over competence in the pilot. [/Sarcasm]

Nichov

Affirmative action is PC-code for discriminatory policy, classism, sexism, racism, groupism etc.  The law cannot seek to represent two or more groups equally by lending favor to one group over another.
Society does not have the right to discriminate against victims of domestic violence because of their gender."  - www.amen.ie

The Gonzman

My idea of a "authoritarian" structure is where tasks are delegated, and those to whom they are assigned to are expected to do them.  Militaristic might be better.  Meetings are only for telling all of you at once so it doesn't have to be repeated.  When this becomes a democracy, and a vote is necessary we might call them for another reason.  Until then, you have your orders.  Go. Do.

For some reason, few men have a problem with this style of management; there are clean boundaries of responsibility and authority, and zero tolerance for slacking.  Consensus is to tried to be reach.  Input is valuable insofar as it is a) applicable, or b) asked for.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the MEANEST son-of-a-bitch in the valley.

Nichov

You tag authoritarianism to men.  That's silly.  It was a man who first came up with the idea for autonomy.  It was a man who first came up with the idea of communism.  It was a man who first came up with the idea for anarchy.  It was a man who first came up with the idea for consensus.  It was a man who first came up with the idea of democracy.  The list goes on.
Society does not have the right to discriminate against victims of domestic violence because of their gender."  - www.amen.ie

Daymar

He's talking about a heirarchy which is definately a male originated thing.

The Gonzman

Oh, Jesus.  He's back.

Go Up