OT:Job Offer

Started by The Biscuit Queen, Aug 16, 2010, 06:39 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

The Biscuit Queen

Just wanted to share a small victory. I ended my contract at the college in June, and am planning to start at a lower salary but more flexibility and less politics at a fiber mill in Sept.  The mill also offers the opportunity to be manager in 5 years and buy out in 10 years. I could have continued with the college but my new boss was an ass and there was too many uncertainties which usually means I pay for things out of pocket. My contract would only have been extended 6 months anyways due to funding issues.

I just recieved a call from my old department head asking me if I would come in 2 days a week and teach labs at the college. I am so excited. Not only is this more money coming in (at a higher hourly rate), but it means I did a great job last semester and I did not burn any bridges by leaving. I really love the people I was working with other than the one guy, and I will not have to deal with him at all when teaching. The labs will take up 6 hours a week, and the school is one mile from the fiber mill, so there is no extra commute. I was planning on working at the mill 30 hours a week, so this semester I will be at a 36 hour work week.

Between the mill, the school, and my part-time business I am starting selling hand lampworked jewelry and hand made fiber items, I am going to be seriously busy and making some decent money for a change. I already have 3 stores which will carry my jewelry, and I am determined to make this business work. Please pray for me that I keep my family first and do not get so carried away with the money making things that I miss out on Dave and the boys.

There is a reason my super hero name is "The Over Committer"  :rolle:

he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

neoteny

Between the mill, the school, and my part-time business I am starting selling hand lampworked jewelry and hand made fiber items, I am going to be seriously busy and making some decent money for a change.

Congratulations; nice to hear that things are working out for you. You go girl!  :greener:
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

Cordell Walker

congrats BQ, sounds like you got a full plate
good luck
"how can you kill women and children?"---private joker
"Easy, ya just dont lead em as much" ---Animal Mother

Mr. X

Congrats!
Feminists - "Verbally beating men like dumb animals or ignoring them is all we know and its not working."

Kyo

Good giong, BQ!  :occasion18:

Quentin0352

Sweet! Good to hear people working in ANY western nation anymore! Good luck and even when you are busy, remember to stop in and say hey to us all so we know you are OK!

Men's Rights Activist

Please pray for me that I keep my family first and do not get so carried away with the money making things that I miss out on Dave and the boys.

#  That's good news to hear in these "hard to find a job" times.  I am happy for you.

#  Check with your taxman, but when I was working two jobs, the travel between my first and second job was in someway deductible.

#  Just before you mentioned your concern about having less time with your family, I was thinking about that.  If your kids are older and more into after school activities, it's not as impactful, but don't forget to make quality time, take time, for those quality moments together with family, that all the money in the world can't buy, IMO.  Bless you all.

#  Maybe even consider hiring a maid, or some other helper, to relieve you of some of your work.  Are there any little neighborhood children who would contract to be the official egg gatherer/chicken feeder? :-)
Life, Liberty, & Pursuit of Happiness are fundamental rights for all (including males), & not contingent on gender feminist approval or denial. Consider my "Independence" from all tyrannical gender feminist ideology "Declared" - Here & Now!

The Biscuit Queen

Thanks everyone!

Dave has wanted to hire someone, but I feel like if I have to hire someone then I should work less so I have time to do it. It really makes sense to me and really does not make sense to Dave. I suppose I should look at it as allowing someone else with smaller kids to stay home or someone on hard times to have a little extra income. I just spent the last 15 years home working flexible jobs so I could take full household responsibilities, and it just feels wrong to hire someone.

I'll think about it though. I guess the important thing is it gets done.

And yes, I need to make sure Tom and I have time together-Nick is off at college so I just have one home. My new jobs should allow me to be home within an hour of Tom, which is really nice. I should then be able to get everything done so maybe the house stuff won't be an issue. And Tom and I can always have quality time cleaning together :-)
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

dr e

Great stuff! 
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

Go Up