Misandry on Icebreaker.com clothing site

Started by Pacman7331, Aug 18, 2010, 03:15 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Pacman7331

Aug 18, 2010, 03:15 PM Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 03:41 PM by Pacman7331
http://www.icebreaker.com/site/catalog/index.html

I just thought i'd bring this one up as it's clearly Misandry.
Not only that the main flash image appears to be even racist.
Woman rides on the back of a naked man who's severed head is replaced with that of a sheep and runs amongst a herd. Utterly iconic misandry.

Scroll down and look at how the company categorizes male and female.

Female is nature... while beast is male
nature is clearly a higher attribution than beast.

I'd say this qualifies - What do you all think?

Pacman7331

New Zealand (Head Office)
Icebreaker New Zealand Ltd
Level 2, Hope Gibbons Building
7-11 Dixon Street
Wellington 6011
P O Box 959
Tel: 0064 4 385 9113
Fax: 0064 4 385 9114
› Email us: [email protected]

Pacman7331

Just emailed them this letter... Wonder if they will even read it:

Dear Icebreaker New Zealand Ltd,

I would like to notify you of a vulgarity that has perhaps gone unnoticed on your main catalog website. On the main page if you go to "shop now" at the bottom left hand corner. The page that comes up which details "Collections Summer 2010" features an image that is highly derogatory and offensive. It's features a naked black man with the severed head of a sheep placed on his head while a nude white nubile woman rides on his back placing him in a heard of sheep. This is both misandry and racism and should be removed immediately please. Furthermore the categorization of male and female gender distinctions by the title of "nature" and "beast" is also highly offensive and should be removed immediately please. I hope you veer away from highly offensive imagery to promote your products until this is done I will no longer be shopping for them - and will spread the word of these vulgarities.

Sincerely,
CM

Aug 18, 2010, 05:00 PM Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 05:10 PM by John Dias
The act of contacting them with a polite letter should only be the first line of attack.  There are two concepts in play here:  (1) Leverage and (2) Legitimacy.  Sending a letter which identifies the misandry in their ad and requesting for the ad to be removed invokes the concept of Legitimacy.  But if they don't share your feelings about the seriousness of combating misandry, they may not act.  And so the next step is to pile on:  send an e-mail that references the first e-mail, and again reminds them about the Legitimacy of combating misandry (this reinforces your first message to them).  But in your second communication, add that if the ad is not taken down, you will hold a press conference about the company's intransigence (to make good on this threat, you'd have to contact a local MRA group in New Zealand, who would hold the actual press conference).  Such a threat establishes your Leverage.  

Further communication simply reiterates your previous communiques, reinforcing both the Leverage angle and the Legitimacy angle each time.  If making good on a previous threat is nevertheless ignored, you should identify new ways of escalating your Leverage.  Always make good on your prior threats to exert Leverage (and be able to make good on future threats), and remind them when you do so in future communications.  An example of escalated Leverage would be to write to the members of the Board of Directors, and/or any other authorities who already have Leverage over their company (such as government authorities).

The cumulative effect is that pressure and momentum begin to build until they either cave in or (very publicly) suffer the consequences.

Cordell Walker

the first thought that came into my head when seeing that was "how weird", not "how misandric". the commercial that I thought was the most misandric was the glass cleaner one where the husband ran into the glass
and serveral others over the years.
like I said, this image registers more on the "what the fuck" scale in my eyes than the "fuckin man hating bullshit" scale
"how can you kill women and children?"---private joker
"Easy, ya just dont lead em as much" ---Animal Mother

Pacman7331

Thx John Dias on the procedure to exert public pressure.

IC Cordell Walker that you don't see the significance of this.
I however see it as iconic misandry.
It works on a symbolic level.

Just think of it this way...
If the genders were reversed here.
How feminists would react to it.

Cordell Walker

Thx John Dias on the procedure to exert public pressure.

IC Cordell Walker that you don't see the significance of this.
I however see it as iconic misandry.
It works on a symbolic level.

Just think of it this way...
If the genders were reversed here.
How feminists would react to it.

oh yeah, but the feminists bitch about everything, ALL THE TIME.
I was just saying that I wouldnt have thought about the image being misandric if it wasnt pointed out to me, as versus some of the phone commericails, cleaning product commercials etc where its highly offensive
it just looked like some wierd shit to me
there have been only two or three occasions in my life that I e-mailed a company because of misandric adverts
"how can you kill women and children?"---private joker
"Easy, ya just dont lead em as much" ---Animal Mother

MacKenzie

Y'know... If the genders were reversed not only would there be complaints from feminists of sexism and racism, but you'd even get bestiality in the mix :cyclo:.
FEMINISM IS A CULT THAT TRIES TO MAKE BOTH SEXES EQUAL BY FOCUSING SOLELY ON ONE OF THEM

Renegade

Y'know... If the genders were reversed not only would there be complaints from feminists of sexism and racism, but you'd even get bestiality in the mix :cyclo:.

With regards to the section on Nature/Beast, I think that if the genders were reversed (i.e. a man represented Nature and woman represented Beast) that the common reaction would be that the woman was hot: sleek and sexy and cat-like. Whereas the reaction to the Nature Male, would be that he was probably gay.  :rolle:
"A man chooses. A slave obeys." What if a man 'chooses' to obey, because he is met with scorn, shame and ridicule and rendered a social outcasts if he does not?

neoteny

I find the whole "Philosophy" section to be postmodern bullshit; the Nature/Beast dichotomy is just part of that crap. This is what you get when you hire a bunch of skaters/dopers to put your marketing together for you.
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

Pacman7331

Aug 28, 2010, 09:25 PM Last Edit: Aug 28, 2010, 09:29 PM by Pacman7331
Well I've gotten no response. Time for step two.

Does anyone know of a MRA group in New Zealand?

Or a directory of MRA groups around the world I can look through to find contact information?

Tigerman

Well I've gotten no response. Time for step two.

Does anyone know of a MRA group in New Zealand?

Or a directory of MRA groups around the world I can look through to find contact information?

Just wondering if the legendary Peter Zohrab is still active as he used to produce an extensive list of MRA groups both in NZ and internationally.

Pacman7331

I never got a reply to this. I need to contact a MRA group in New Zealand. Anyone have any idea if there is one and their information? Perhaps I should put this in the activism section.

Captain Courageous

Sep 03, 2010, 08:02 PM Last Edit: Sep 03, 2010, 08:24 PM by Captain Courageous
 http://menz.org.nz/

You might also try Chris Key's http://www.mens-rights.net for some help.

Also try here: http://nzmera.orconhosting.net.nz/contents.html

Pacman7331

Go Up