previous topic - next topic
Go Down

PowerMan72

:engel2:

Local group pushes for all-male school
Members say single-sex classrooms have fewer distractions
By SHANTEE WOODARDS, Staff Writer

Published 09/22/10

Members of an Annapolis organization are so concerned about boys' academic performance that they want to create an all-male school.

Brian Tucker of Concerned Citizens for Successful Students approached the county Board of Education last week about tailoring an academic program specifically for male students. It would operate either as an entire school or as an academic initiative geared just toward boys. The plan is in its early stages and the group is discussing it with county officials.

"All children are capable of success, there ... (are) no exceptions," Tucker said. "The face of learning is changing. We can either embrace it or we can go against it. I'm hoping we can embrace it in Anne Arundel County."

In order for this to happen, the group has to work with the county school system's alternative education office, which already handles two all-male programs.

"We can sit down and talk with (Tucker) about what (this program) can look like and what his group's ideas are ..." said Bob Mosier, a county schools spokesman. "The superintendent is certainly willing to look at any program, traditional or otherwise, that would result in increased achievement from students."

There has been an ongoing debate about the value of single-sex education and whether both boys and girls benefit from it equally.

The National Organization for Women opposes such efforts, saying they "increase sexism and exacerbate feelings of superiority toward women," according to the group's website. But officials of the National Association for Single Sex Public Education support the concept, offering training to teachers so they can provide opportunities that do not exist in coed environments.

Anne Arundel County schools already offer programs tailored toward males. The Middle College High School program at the Edgewater campus of Sojourner-Douglass College, for example, provides its male students with laptops and other supplies to improve their academic performance.

A similar program, designed as an alternative to suspension, is offered through the Alternative Center for Education and the Boys and Girls Clubs of Annapolis and Anne Arundel County, administrators said.

The proposed new all-male effort could look to Prince George's County as an example, Tucker said. There, the Possibility Prep Academy - a Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) charter school for boys in sixth through eighth grade - was launched this school year.

Tucker said an all-male environment would cut down on the distractions of daily school life - specifically, girls and the attention young men can't help but give them. Such a program would also give men an opportunity to mentor young students on topics they may be more comfortable discussing without women around.

"Ideally, the younger we start, the better," Tucker said. "If we catch them at the age where they're just starting school, it turns that whole pendulum."

[email protected]
Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan: "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

Men's Rights Activist

Sep 22, 2010, 11:54 AM Last Edit: Sep 22, 2010, 12:51 PM by Men's Rights Activist
The National Organization for Women opposes such efforts, saying they "increase sexism and exacerbate feelings of superiority toward women,"

Well it's certainly an improvement over co-ed classrooms, where leftist, PC spewing teachers  bash males with gender feminist sexism and inculcate male students with "the inherent superiority of women."
Life, Liberty, & Pursuit of Happiness are fundamental rights for all (including males), & not contingent on gender feminist approval or denial. Consider my "Independence" from all tyrannical gender feminist ideology "Declared" - Here & Now!

The Gonzman

The National Organization for Women opposes such efforts, saying they "increase sexism and exacerbate feelings of superiority toward women,"

Well it's certainly an improvement over co-ed classrooms, where leftist, PC spewing teachers  bash males with gender feminist sexism and inculcate male students with "the inherent superiority of women."

They fear losing control of the message.

Guess what, sista?  Your philosophy jumped the shark with Monica Lewinsky.  You have lost, and you just don't realize it yet.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the MEANEST son-of-a-bitch in the valley.

CaptDMO

Gee, all ya gotta do is throw together a few (of their own) bucks, slap down some bricks and mortar, and call it a private school for boys, right?
Who gives a rat's ass what NOW has to say about raising/educating other folks  children? Was "their" input solicited?
NOW is certainly able to pay for, staff, and open, a private skool-and attract the parents
willing to pay for a NOW based "education", right?

This will all be feasible once the US gub'mint "education" department (Mann/Marx) is temporarily (nudge nudge, wink wink) uh...de-funded, to pay off a years worth of INTEREST to China.     

Or is that too much like um...work, on their own dime, and stuff.

neoteny

They fear losing control of the message.

Bingo.
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

Virtue

A few years ago I was working a contract job that took me to a public boys only school in Portland OR.  It started out as a disciplinary school (as in you got kicked out of a regular highschool you had to go to one of these schools.) At first it was not only Boys only for students but also male only staff.... with minimum mandatory physical exercise periods for both students and staff alike.

It was the most amazing high school I have ever seen......they had classroom flight simulators....programs where you could recieve your pilots license before you graduated......Industrial plastics courses......science labs and computer labs......I would have KILLED to attend this school if given a choice.

After a very short period of time the school became the best in the nation for near 5 years running.....the attention brought by its success got women to bitching.

Why is one of the best schools in the nation boys only?

So they were forced to allow girls and female staff in.....and now its just an average school.....all the cool special programs......gone.....gone are the record breaking test scores.

Feminism has directly made us collectively dumber as a result of shit like this
Imagine waking up tomorrow to find
that unbelievably rape is now legal.

You would be freaking out, telling everyone you ran into this is crazy- something needs to be done... now!!! And then every man you told this to just very smugly and condescendingly says...

"Hey... not all men are 'like that.'"

Pacman7331

Thats great. I don't see how feminist can be against it without being against all girls schools.

I wish they had a all male college with my program. I would seriously consider going to it. While I enjoy the nice females... It's not the point of school.

Some female advantages in academia:

•Males can very often have allot of difficulties concentrate with female distractions.
•Teachers reguarlly alter deadlines even ciriculum at behests of female complaints
•Teachers noticablly offer greater amnesty and assistance to female students harder on male students
•You go girl culture
•Anti male put it to the man culture and university environment.
•Males take longer to mature in today's world
•Sex drive is often stronger than most males ability to concentrate
•Feminized curriculum (busy work - limiting freedom and curiosity / rigid schedules)
•Conveyor belt like ciriculum (focusing on standardization rather than exploration)
•Men must swim upstream - women ride the flow
•Far more many programs and groups there are for females versus males
•Sassy adolescent immature girl attitude culture promoted everywhere.
•Male bashing regularly everywhere.
•Universities and education used to be very different when universities were actually a novelty.
•Education has been drastically feminized from k-12 through college (very oppressive on males)
•Easier to concentrate in absence of women.
•School is not about learning or understanding but regurgitation.
•Women probably perform better in co-ed schools while males probably perform worse.
•Constant drilling favors feminization and robotic mindless standardization without depth.

thats just a few things....

CaptDMO

Wow, Has NOW weighed in  on Oprahs all girls school overseas?

Go Up