Domestic abuse on "Teen Mom," again

Started by Men's Rights Activist, Oct 01, 2010, 06:44 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Men's Rights Activist

Oct 01, 2010, 06:44 AM Last Edit: Oct 01, 2010, 06:51 AM by Men's Rights Activist
How many of you MRA's watched "Teen Mom" the other night?  No?  I missed it again too.  :dontknow:

http://www.salon.com/life/broadsheet/2010/09/29/teen_mom/
Domestic abuse on "Teen Mom," again
"Last night's episode of MTV's "Teen Mom" featured a textbook case of domestic violence -- but not the kind we're actually used to seeing or hearing about. This was a case of female-on-male violence:"

"It's hard to imagine comparable male-on-female violence continuing to air, season after season, without major outcry or intervention."

Teen Mom Amber vs. Gary
Life, Liberty, & Pursuit of Happiness are fundamental rights for all (including males), & not contingent on gender feminist approval or denial. Consider my "Independence" from all tyrannical gender feminist ideology "Declared" - Here & Now!

neoteny

She isn't arrested yet? I guess there's no gold points to be earned by a DA to prosecute her...

The comment section is interesting; two decades ago there would have been one MRAish reader silenced by a handful of radfems; now it is the reverse (well, the orthodox feminist isn't being silenced, but her tired Women Studies talking points is being rebuffed by several non-feminists).
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

slayton

Oct 01, 2010, 08:55 AM Last Edit: Oct 01, 2010, 09:01 AM by slayton
That man has no self respect.

Oct 01, 2010, 10:08 AM Last Edit: Oct 01, 2010, 03:20 PM by John Dias
I'm noticing that some of the commenters on that thread are saying that female-perpetrated domestic violence is harmless because it does not cause significant pain nor does it cause injury.  I want to point out to them that the federal statistics on injury rates from domestic violence show that 32% (not zero) of reported DV-related injuries are suffered by male victims because of female perpetrators.  But I need to find the link to the government document that points this out.  As I remember, the government doesn't frame it as a percentage; they just give the total number of victims injured, broken down by sex of the victim.  When you do the math, it comes out to be 68% of injured victims being female, and 32% of injured victims being male.  This proves that a female who perpetrates violence against a male victim is not harmless, and certainly can cause injury.  About one third of injured domestic violence victims (who report their injuries) are males.

Now where is that statistic (on a government Web site)?  Can anybody find it?

Men's Rights Activist

I believe that the percentage of injured is referred to in the d.v. section on this page. 
http://la.ncfm.org/focus-issues/
I'm not sure that's the exact report, but it says it addresses that issue.

In 2000 or 2001 men were 24% of intimate partner fatalities, according to the DOJ.  I remember that number, because I used it at an International Family Violence Conference and two feminists told me, "Those were all batterers."
Life, Liberty, & Pursuit of Happiness are fundamental rights for all (including males), & not contingent on gender feminist approval or denial. Consider my "Independence" from all tyrannical gender feminist ideology "Declared" - Here & Now!

Oct 01, 2010, 10:57 AM Last Edit: Oct 01, 2010, 04:17 PM by John Dias
Extent, Nature, and Consequences of Intimate Partner Violence: Findings From the National Violence Against Women Survey
by Patricia Tjaden and Nancy Thoennes
July 2000
NCJ 181867
National Institute of Justice
HTML:  http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/nij/pubs-sum/181867.htm
PDF:  http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/181867.pdf
Text:  http://www.ncjrs.gov/txtfiles1/nij/181867.txt

About one third -- 32 percent -- of IPV-related injury victims are males according to the above report (see the table below for a breakdown summary).  This figure is an important one for us to remember, because many people believe in the myth that female-perpetrated violence against male victims is insignificant or harmless.  But female-perpetrated intimate partner violence is NOT harmless, because according to this government report, a third of all IPV injury victims are males.

Also note that 73% of the 542 males in the sample were injured, compared to only 57% of the 1451 females.  To me, this seems to indicate that when male victims are injured by female perpetrators, their injury is more severe compared to the injuries that female victims sustain from male perpetrators.  Women who manage to injure men are more potent in their violence than male perpetrators, because female perpetrators compensate for their smaller size by using dangerous weapons and also the element of surprise.

Women
Men
Total
Sample of reported IPV victims:
(73% of 1993)
(27% of 1993)
Quantity injured:
(41.5% of 1993)
(19.9% of 1993)
Percent of total injured:
68%
(827/1224)
32%
(397/1224)
100%
Percent injured within gender:
57%
(827/1451)
73%
(397/542)

From page 47 in the PDF (image here):

wractor

This video ought to be linked to every news story inferring DV is always male-on-female. Like that Domestic Abuse Rarely Stops piece, for one.
"If you're going through Hell...Keep Going."--Winston Churchill.
(Sites by KK: www.RockHerWorld.Net, www.Focusgroup.ning.com)

Men's Rights Activist

Also note that 73% of the 542 males in the sample were injured, compared to only 57% of the 1451 females.

Very interesting.  The d.v. industry always seems to quote the "smaller looking" number, or percentage, when it comes to male victimization/female violence.  It just looks better for them.  Hence, they say male victims are 32% of the total number of injured in the study, but there were more women in this study reporting d.v.  I've never heard a feminist say, "Of males who experienced d.v., 73% were injured."

TheDude

My first thought upon seeing a video like this is: "The difference between man-on-woman DV and woman-on-man DV is that he could immediately put a stop to it and kick the living shit out of her if he decided".

Then I thought a little more.

No he can't. He just has to take it. Because she has an entire army - if needed - on remote control (pressing the 9-1-1 buttons on her remote control telephone). If he takes that route, he is going to be re-educated, first off by the cops who show up, some of whom are just itching to show who is the boss. Next up, the judge.

This is the face of modern gender relations. I don't understand the thinking, but many men feel that they have to stay with a woman, even a woman who regularly treats him like this. I guess they feel the alternative is being alone, but paying, paying, paying to the woman.

So many men have had their self-esteem hammered out of them today. It's sickening, and the women who take advantage of it are sickening.

TheDude

Oct 01, 2010, 03:16 PM Last Edit: Oct 01, 2010, 04:41 PM by TheDude
I hate to use big words - like the massive twit Hugo Schwyzer, if you know him - but it is unavoidable here.

I think that love is a sublimated sex drive. And with "sublimated" I mean that society acts to push sex into a more socially acceptable form.

You've got to consider that when you see inexplicable actions like a man taking beatings from a dumb pig.

I couldn't even work up a hatred for this pig. She wouldn't be worth the cost of the gunpowder.

The Biscuit Queen

Is is the ultimate poster child of domestic violence. He cannot just leave because she has control over the most important thing to him....his child. She uses threat of violence and actual violence to control him-the threat of the police and prison if he fights back, the loss of his child if he argues with her. She justifies her anger by blaming him, and she demeans him by criticizing him for being overweight, ugly, useless, etc. If the genders were reversed we would be outing him as an abuser and calling for a restraining order.

Like the feminists pretend is the case for women, this man will get no sympathy, only blame. He has no where to turn, no one to help him. His children are not only witnessing the abuse but very likely will be victims of the same abuse.

What kills me is instead of empathy and understanding from people we see defensiveness and blame; we also see manuvering to maintain victim status for women. It is as if any single man is a victim then all women are threatened. I just do not understand that. As women think people are so stupid or fickle that they cannot empathize with both men and women.

he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

TheDude

If you have a kid with a woman, or get married to her, you are ultimately at her mercy if she turns out to be a psycho. If you separate, you will not only not get to see your flesh-and-blood child (or only at her whim), but you will have to pay lots of money every month to the woman.

So ... I guess ... choose your master wisely.

I don't like having a master, so my personal path in life was not to have one. I'm sure the men with masters will post how glorious and wonderful it is (they all do on other Web sites), but that's their personal taste. Figure out what you personally really want before you enter into the commitment to a master.

outdoors

Oct 01, 2010, 06:19 PM Last Edit: Oct 01, 2010, 06:31 PM by outdoors
just the way the article is worded makes it sound as he is just as guilty or at least just as guilty.-

and this-

The Herald Bulletin contacted Child Protective Services and inquired about any existing complaints against Portwood or Shirley.

lookin' for an excuse to blame him for abuse in the past-then she will be justified and he will be arrested

then notice about the verbal arguments

"Why didn't you put a sheet on her bed when my mom brought brand new ones today?"

Shirley asks Portwood.

When Portwood begins screaming at him, Shirley threatens her.

there is that controlling behavior

he is fucked and will be lucky if he doesn't go to jail and she will be fully vindicated,

just watch and see

at about 8 seconds her first threat is(of course),"i will bring your ass to court".

outdoors

oops-i guess i shoud have posted this first :rolle:

http://heraldbulletin.com/breakingnews/x1535831910/Anderson-Teen-Mom-being-investigated-for-assault

September 29, 2010 Anderson 'Teen Mom' being investigated for assault

MTV show features Amber Portwood in physical fight with ex-fiancé

By Brandi Watters The Herald Bulletin The Herald Bulletin Wed Sep 29, 2010, 10:07 PM EDT
ANDERSON, Ind. -- Local police have begun an investigation into an apparent assault that appeared on Tuesday's episode of "Teen Mom," an MTV reality show featuring Anderson residents Amber Portwood and Gary Shirley.

The pre-taped episode features a scene in which Portwood appears to hit, punch and kick her ex-fiancé, Shirley, after he accuses her of being a bad mom and threatens to report her to Child Protective Services.

Portwood and Shirley were first featured in the MTV reality series, "16 and Pregnant."

"Teen Mom," which follows the lives of four teen mothers, has returned in its second season with episodes airing each week, Tuesdays at 10 p.m.

Lt. Paul Boulware of the Anderson Police Department said the department wasn't aware of the fight until Wednesday, when the department's victim's advocate received two anonymous e-mails urging police to look into the incident.

"We assigned an officer to it this afternoon," Boulware said.

The episode, which was pre-taped, features a fight between Portwood and Shirley that begins when Shirley questions Portwood about crib sheets on their daughter's bed.

"Why didn't you put a sheet on her bed when my mom brought brand new ones today?" Shirley asks Portwood.

When Portwood begins screaming at him, Shirley threatens her. "Lower your voice because Child Protective Services will get called."

With their child, Leah, standing at their feet, the two argue back and forth until Shirley finally takes the child and leaves the apartment.

"I'm keeping her for a while," Shirley says as he exits Portwood's Anderson apartment.

"Oh really? How long is that," she responds.

"Forever," Shirley says.

The Herald Bulletin contacted Child Protective Services and inquired about any existing complaints against Portwood or Shirley.

Ann Houseworth of Child Protective Services responded to the query. "State statute does not permit me to speak about case specific information on children or families that may be involved with the child welfare system."

When Shirley returns later in the episode, he finds Portwood stacking his belongings in the stairwell that leads to her apartment.

She tells him that he can't stay with her anymore and an argument ensues.

As Shirley stands atop the stairs, Portwood appears to punch and slap him seven times.

"I am at the edge," she screams, asking if he wants her to punch him in the face.

During the altercation, Shirley never responds to Portwood's attacks physically, but continually asks "are you done?" and tells her to quit hitting him.

As Shirley descends the stairway, Portwood appears to kick him in the back.

Early in the episode, Portwood tells a friend that she has been practicing Krav Maga, an Israeli hand-to-hand combat system.

"Even though things with Gary are confusing right now, at least I know how to fight for what I believe in," Portwood states in a voice-over during the episode.

The Herald Bulletin attempted to reach officials with MTV, but calls were not returned.

Boulware said the investigation into the possible domestic violence has been forwarded to the department's criminal investigation unit.

He said the incident is a unique case because it was taped and aired on national television. "It's a new way of receiving information. It's like a 911 call through reality TV."

It appears that the department never received a report of the incident from the MTV film crew on scene. "We have not had any information about it until e-mails were sent to the victim advocate," Boulware said.

In some cases, Boulware said, those who witness a crime but fail to report it to police can face criminal charges. "It depends on what kind of crime it is."

The Herald Bulletin visited Portwood's Anderson apartment Wednesday, but Portwood and Shirley are in Tennessee filming their show with MTV, according to a family friend staying at the residence.

TheManOnTheStreet

Notice the "angle" used...

"The pre-taped episode features a scene in which Portwood appears to hit, punch and kick her ex-fiancé, Shirley, after he accuses her of being a bad mom and threatens to report her to Child Protective Services."

"appears to"?  Uhm, no... SHE IS DOING IT!

Also the way they seem to justify it because of the comment he alledgely said - the video doesn't show his saying anything about her parenting...

Then this;

"It appears that the department never received a report of the incident from the MTV film crew on scene. "We have not had any information about it until e-mails were sent to the victim advocate," Boulware said."

Uhm, because it makes for good TV!  Little women beating a big mean oppressive male!  And besides, what's the big deal, right?!

Typical.

TMOTS
The Man On The Street is on the street for a reason.......

Go Up