Women's violence awareness project goes broke

Started by outdoors, Dec 07, 2010, 07:05 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

outdoors

Women's violence awareness project goes broke
Last Updated: Monday, December 6, 2010 | 11:23 AM AT Comments15Recommend8.
CBC News
The Silent Witnesses were at a ceremony at Holland College in Charlottetown Monday morning. (CBC)
P.E.I.'s Silent Witness project, which aims to stop violence against women, is down to its last $131, says the program co-ordinator.

Eileen LeClair says she needs more funding to continue her work. It involves setting up community displays of 11 life-sized, red silhouettes -- 10 representing women who were murdered, and one in memory of those whose killer has not yet been charged

"Each one is roughly the size that woman would have been. That's the space she occupied on the Earth," said LeClair.

P.E.I. Silent Witness women:

•Ann Marie Perry Anderson
•Chrystal Dawn Bearisto
•Mary Louise Bernard
•Kimberley Ann Byrne
•Shirley Ann Duguay
•Deborah Holmes
•Carrie Ellen McMurrer
•Elaine Edith Myers
•Della Waddell
•Mary Elizabeth Waite
She sets up the displays for schools, community groups and police training to keep people thinking about family violence. The project was funded by the Union of Public Sector Employees for the first seven years, but that support ended in August.

LeClair raises some money selling Silent Witness ribbons for $5. But she needs about $3,000 a year to continue doing a dozen presentations a year, at least half of those at schools.

She also needs money to make new silhouettes: at a cost of about $750 apiece, she has requests from the families of two murdered Island women.

LeClair has been asking the provincial government for funding for two years, but has not been successful.

Wendy Verhoek-Oftedahl, P.E.I.'s family violence prevention co-ordinator, would like more people to see the Silent Witness project, but believes in-kind donations from the community, not the government, are the answer.

"I think it really is important for the community to be together putting these silhouettes together," said Verhoek-Oftedahl.

The silhouettes were at Holland College in Charlottetown Monday morning as part of a ceremony marking the 21st anniversary of the Montreal Massacre.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/prince-edward-island/story/2010/12/06/pei-silent-witness-funding-584.html#socialcomments#ixzz17O8JnEXT

The Biscuit Queen

Well, she can raise her own money for her own projects. Isn't that what they say when men start asking for equal services?
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

outdoors

Well, she can raise her own money for her own projects. Isn't that what they say when men start asking for equal services?

i'm posting that-would be better if you do though

Men's Rights Activist

Dec 08, 2010, 03:55 AM Last Edit: Dec 08, 2010, 03:57 AM by Men's Rights Activist
Gender feminism's, taxpayer funded, domestic violence endeavors are broke from the beginning - morally bankrupt.
Life, Liberty, & Pursuit of Happiness are fundamental rights for all (including males), & not contingent on gender feminist approval or denial. Consider my "Independence" from all tyrannical gender feminist ideology "Declared" - Here & Now!

no2fembots

Being that today is our national "shame a man" day, I am very please and happy to hear the god news about this femitwat going broke.

The cost of spreading hate keeps a going up! :toothy9:
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."  - Winston Churchill

"Get Angry...Get Loud... GET UP off your KNEES!"

Go Up