A definition of feminism

Started by AliciaGoMavs, Dec 22, 2003, 01:03 PM

previous topic - next topic

Is Alicia a feminist?

Alicia is a feminist!  Plain as day!
2 (20%)
Alicia is not a feminist!  She's way too cool!
6 (60%)
I'm not sure.
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: Jan 01, 2004, 01:03 PM

Go Down

I

Quote from: "AliciaGoMavs"
Ah!  A claim of narcissism! This coming from the person named "I"!!  :)

I already know my socio-political ideology; it's you guys whom I am not certain knows what my socio-political ideology is!

Electrical Current:
   Symbol    i,    I     Electricity
a,  A flow of electric charge.
b,  The amount of electric charge flowing
past a specified circuit point per unit time.

Glad to hear you're not a feminist  :D
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The views, comments and opinions of the individual "I" are entirely personal to, and the responsibility of the aforementioned and in no way represent the collective or singular view(s) of the board(s) on which they are posted. "I" asserts that responsibility for any offence, indignation, incurred psychiatric disorders and any or all forms of pestilence and damnation lay squarely with the individual(s) that choose to digest the textual representations thereof.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This ray of sunshine was brought to you by I :)

The Gonzman

Answer your own question:  Do you believe that the rights of women trump the rights of men, with the sole deciding point being gender?

If yes, you're a feminist.

Do you believe that women are morally superior?  If yes, you're a feminist.

Do you believe that the female way of doing things is innately superior to the male way?  If yes, you're a feminist.

Do you believe that wome should get special treatment under the law just because they are women, then yes, you're a feminist.

If, on the other hand, you believe that no gender holds a monopoly on virtue or villiany; that equal rights entail equal responsibility, that the male approach is as often as not as valid or more so than the female, and that the current gender bias in our self-proclaimed legal system against men needs to be rectified then you aren't one.

If you are one, you have to decide if you can live with that.  If you aren't, fuck what some assbag says.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the MEANEST son-of-a-bitch in the valley.

AliciaGoMavs

Quote from: "I"
Quote from: "AliciaGoMavs"
Ah!  A claim of narcissism! This coming from the person named "I"!!  :)

I already know my socio-political ideology; it's you guys whom I am not certain knows what my socio-political ideology is!

Electrical Current:
   Symbol    i,    I     Electricity
a,  A flow of electric charge.
b,  The amount of electric charge flowing
past a specified circuit point per unit time.

Glad to hear you're not a feminist  :D

Okay, who here thought of electricity instead of the pronoun when reading this person's name?  ;)
Remove the wooden beam from your eye first; then you will see clearly to remove the splinter from your brother's eye."  --Jesus Christ
NAB Matthew 7:5

Daymar

So what is your definition Alicia?

NealGold

I'm just waiting for one woman who says she does not support feminism to display her support by fighting feminism in actions, not merely words.  I'd believe a woman who'd close ranks right beside me as I picket the Supreme Court and Congress on behalf of fathers unjustly jailed or prevented from seeing their kids.  I'm not saying women here haven't done it, but the last time I picketed the line was composed solely of men.

Plenty of women out there know a man who's being fucked by the system, many even passed us by with sympathetic looks, but not one joined in.  Until that happens -- if nothing more than an open display of support -- nothing will change.  And, if it doesn't change soon, the violence against institutions will begin (as it has in England and Holland, for example).
A man conscious of his strength, observes Nietzsche, need have no fear of women. It is only the man who finds himself utterly helpless in the face of feminine cajolery that must cry, "Get thee behind me, Satan!" and flee. The normal, healthy man...still keeps a level head. He is strong enough to weather the sexual storm. But the man who cannot do this, who experiences no normal reaction in the direction of guardedness and caution and reason, must either abandon himself utterly as a helpless slave to woman's instinct of race-preservation, and so become a bestial voluptuary, or avoid temptation altogether and so become a celibate." -- H.L. Mencken on Nietzsche's philosophy of women

Nichov

Alicia:
"I was a bit surprised at this, and I wondered where this was coming from, as I thought it was known that I am prolife."

basically, feminist has become synonymous with misandrist... in other words, it's a 'bad' label that is easy to apply to anyone, and men who are growing increasingly frustrated by women/feminism find it easier to express their anger towards both.

Hate.  Plain and simple.  Of which I am not the least guilty.
Society does not have the right to discriminate against victims of domestic violence because of their gender."  - www.amen.ie

AliciaGoMavs

Hey, gang!  I was out a couple of days enjoying time with the fam.  I'm still working on other things here, but I wanted to paste this before any more time passed.

---------------

Gonzokid said:
Answer your own question:

Do you believe that the rights of women trump the rights of men, with the sole deciding point being gender? If yes, you're a feminist.

Do you believe that women are morally superior? If yes, you're a feminist.

Do you believe that the female way of doing things is innately superior to the male way? If yes, you're a feminist.

Do you believe that women should get special treatment under the law just because they are women, then yes, you're a feminist.

If, on the other hand, you believe that no gender holds a monopoly on virtue or villiany; that equal rights entail equal responsibility, that the male approach is as often as not as valid or more so than the female, and that the current gender bias in our self-proclaimed legal system against men needs to be rectified then you aren't one  If you are one, you have to decide if you can live with that. If you aren't, fuck what some assbag says."

Gonzo, your 4 questions above are a good starting point to defining what determines a feminist.  For the record, my reply would be "no" to all of them.  I can live with knowing that I don't fall in line with feminist thought and philosophy.  Much of what they advocate galls me, but I'll get to that in a bit.  However, it is important that the gents recognize who among the women can aid in the cause of true fairness and justice, and who is advocating replacing the patriarchy with a matriarchy (which, Daymar, would be my definition of a feminist; someone who is not looking merely to "even the playing field" but to make the pendulum swing the other way, by swapping the patriarchy with the matriarchy.  For the record, I feel that replacing the patriarchy with a matriarchy is akin to swapping cups of poison; neither is good regardless of what one may believe).  If MRAs can't tell the difference between a feminist and a female ally with men in the cause of fairness and justice, they will end up only making more feminists out of those female allies.  That would be a stupid mistake to make, as it means that the MRAs didn't learn a damn thing from the mistakes of feminists of making enemies out of potential allies.  "Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it" as a wise man once said.

I feel that the feminist movement once had a chance in being a noble cause, but it got corrupted by individuals who couldn't let go of their petty anger and personal grievances in regards to men.  In other words, while SOME men may fall into the stereotype of the Neanderthal brute, most do not.  Most men can be reasoned with, and WERE being reasoned with in regards to women's issues, except that some women kept wanting more than fairness and justice.  In other words it wasn't fairness or justice that feminists were after, it was revenge!  But hatred in the form of revenge has a way of corrupting a soul, and that is what has happened to the feminist movement.  At my most feminist, I never fully bought into the feminist philosophy, as I feel that abortion is the ultimate denial of the ultimate female act; namely pregnancy.  What is more exclusively female than pregnancy?  From reading many of the feminist tracts on this issue, I got the impression that these women were actually advocating the concept of being "female men"; which means that they want to be considered men who just happen to be female.  I can't accept that.  I won't accept that.  I won't accept the denial of my womanhood, especially denying it to other women.  The dichotomy of desiring to be female men and the reality of being female women resulted in a victimist outlook in feminists which persists to this day.  

The final nail in the coffin for me was the reaction of feminists to the Monica Lewinski scandal.  If there was ever a time for feminists to vent in righteous anger, it was then.  Instead, they sold out to Clinton because he provided many of their political victories.  Had Clinton been a conservative Republican, you know that the feminists would have reacted entirely different.  How much more different?  We would still be talking about it TO THIS DAY.  2 or 3 movies would have already been made, with Oscars handed out to the actress who played Monica (probably Jodie Foster or Nicole Kidman).  Don't think so?  Why do you think some liberals still see Watergate as their shining moment?  With a conservative Republican Clinton, the Lewinski scandal would have been their new Watergate to reminisce about in the future.  Instead, this scandal is something they will try to bury and forget, as it was the lowlight of their cause.

No, I am not a feminist.  Those who insist in seeing me as one demonstrate their own blindness. It is a blindness that I see in this discussion board, and moreso in MND.  It is a blindness that has already inflicted the MS board, and you can all can plainly see what they do not.  What some of you do not see is how this blindness is creeping into yourselves.  How can you be made to see this?  Perhaps it will help to make slight alterations to Gonzo's list, as follows:

Do you believe that the rights of men trump the rights of women, with the sole deciding point being gender? If yes, you're a masculist.

Do you believe that men are morally superior? If yes, you're a masculist.

Do you believe that the male way of doing things is innately superior to the female way? If yes, you're a masculist.

Do you believe that men should get special treatment under the law just because they are men, then yes, you're masculist.

However, in the cause of true fairness and justice, one recognition must be kept in place, and that would be the recognition of a woman's ability to get pregnant.  Pregnancy is something exclusive to women, and the law should reflect that.  It should be a crime to physically or psychologically harm a pregnant woman, especially with the intent of causing the failure of the pregnancy.  Men can't get harmed in that way, because men don't get pregnant.  Such a recognition of pregnancy shouldn't be seen by men as a legal advantage that women have over men, instead it should be seen as the recognition that men and women are different --something that you gents have been saying all along-- and it would be a recognition that a pregnant woman is in a vulnerable physical state.  She is less able to fight for herself, and less able to defend herself.  That shouldn't be seen as exploitation of men by women; that is only fairness, something else you gents have been wanting all along.

If it is indeed fairness and justice that you gents want, you must also be willing to dispense it yourselves.  But first, you have to be able to recognize the blindness in yourselves that you see in the MS discussion boards.  Seeing the blindness in the MS boards is easy to do; seeing it in yourselves is much, much harder.  My signature line's statement attests to the importance of being able to see your blindness.  The survival of the men's rights movement depends upon being able to see this blindness.  You must not allow your anger of the actions of feminists become acts of revenge against all women.  If you can't recognize the blindness in yourselves, you will be on the path to become a mirror image of the glaring flaws that you see in feminists.

NealGold had made a reference to desiring the day that women join men in the fight for men's rights.  I am perfectly willing to fight for true fairness and justice, but is that the same as fighting for men's rights?  Couldn't feminists say that they are also fighting for fairness and justice by fighting for "women's rights"?  Some women may be like me in not wanting to join another movement that becomes a revenge movement against the opposite gender, because in a male revenge movement, we ARE the opposite gender!  We are hesitant for a good reason, as we got burned once already, and we don't look forward to getting burned again.
Remove the wooden beam from your eye first; then you will see clearly to remove the splinter from your brother's eye."  --Jesus Christ

The Gonzman

Rather than do a point by point, I'll just address some generalities.  Let's tackle the pregnancy thing first.

I disagree.

Not because it isn't a good idea, but because you already have it.  If you are pregnant, and I punch you, and cause a miscarriage, I'm going to be charged with murder.  Even if you don't miscarry, I can damn well guarantee I will get no plea bargain, and will probably be beaten up in jail.  Daily.

I oppose making anyone a protected class because of two things:  First, it makes them a protected class.  Second because it then gives that protected class license.  License to be as bad as they wanna be, and be shielded by the law for it.

You probably don't feel that such a thing would be a problem because *you* would never do it.  Alicia, most women aren't you - matter of fact, every other woman in the world isn't you.  You take any human being, any class of people, and put them in a position where they don't have to observe the rules of common decency, and grant them legal protection, and you are asking for trouble.  You will have women who will, upon becoming pregnant, provoke fights, stir up trouble, and hide behind their big belly.  On top of that, a whole rash of victim lawsuits will commence, with women far and wide claiming "stress in the womb from emotional abuse" caused all manner of real or imagined problems.

Now, as for blindness, you've made a nice and sweeping general statement.  And it stops there.  No specific - or even semi-specific - instances are given.  Later on you talk about anger at all women, but with few exceptions, comments about "women" in general are grousing of the "Pygmalion" type (I.E. Rex Harrison singing "Why can't a woman be more like a man?")  The truly vituperative comments are directed at feminists as a rule, and even then many still differentiate between feminists and feminazis.  Sure, you have the scattered misogynists here - we've also had some outright feminists, racists, and bigots.  

The difference is, unlike MS, they aren't automatically squelched in the name of political correctness, and in many cases it is acceded that blind squirrels though they be, a nut is occasionally found by them.  If a general statement is made, often it is booed, or debated, or the worst possible result, ignored as unworthy of comment.  Witness many of the Amber's! later posts - days would go by as it was dropped without comment, bumped only by herself.

Let the ignorant talk.  We know where they are and what they are doing then.  To mirror image the feminists we would silence those who dare step outside of conventionally accepted consensus for fear they might make a cogent argument.  Thus far I've yet to see a SCUM Manifesto, or anything approaching it, arise from the Men's Movement.  And remember, Valerie Solanas is a folk heroine among womyn (wimmin, whatever the PC term they are using to avoid being contaminated with the -men suffix these days).  Raging misogynists are either so fringe they die out after a while, or so terribly tongue in cheek that to not laugh with them is possible only with puckered-anus PC types.

As for the old "Aren't men's rights just human rights after all?"

I don't see Eskimos being denied access to their children because they are eskimos.  I see it happening to men.

I don't see Hindus being deprived of due process because they are Hindus.  I do, however, see it happening to men.

I don't see a epidemic of false accusations happening to Koreans because they are Koreans.  I do see it happening to men.

The last time I saw a black with the old "Buckwheat wig" playing Step-and-Fetch-it was in a movie from the thirties, and many times these days such films are edited to remove such stereotypes.  Though I do often see men portrayed as clueless losers and worthless slobs.

It's men I see being browbeaten into signing confessions before they are granted the proverbial "fair trial followed by a first class hanging."  It's men I see hauled away in an ambulance with honey-pie having not a scratch because of "Arrest the man" policies.  It's men I see with restraining orders still hanging over them even though they have proven them falsely obtained - and proving yourself innocent was never something that was supposed to happen in the good old US of A.

I don't know your backstory, AGM, but - if you don't have a divorced husband who you have become involved in his getting screwed by the courts finding youself unable to make ends meet with a current family (or even start one) because of being imputed income far beyond his ability to earn; If you aren't the sister of a much loved brother serving time for something he can prove he didn't do - but never got his day in court because it got deemed "administrative"; if you aren't the mother of a man who is near or has already taken his own life because the hope of his heart - his children - have been stolen from him; If you're not visiting your father or some other relative in jail because he was flasely accused of a rape or other assault he could not possibly have committed - if you aren't one of these, then you are a statistical aberration.

That's not a bad thing, but a general statement that is quite fair to make is that unless they are bitten by the legal bias against men in family and domestic type courts in some way, the very vast and overwhelming majority of women never say boo.

We're pressing for laws to require a rebuttable presumption of joint custody For just one example) because as of right now -

Look, to be honest, there isn't a law on the books that prescribes bias against men.  No Law exists that says "The word of the woman shall not be overturned except by the testimony of four men" or "No court shall exists where custody is not granted in 19 out of every twenty cases to the female, even if unfit."  The laws, as written, are gender blind.

They're not applied that way.  Administratibve procedures are written that way in family agencies.  Agendas are used in hiring and promotion within those agencies.  Precedents exist, precedents that disenfranchise men in their families. The legal system has shown itself to be unwilling or too lazy to reform, to start enforcing the laws, thus, we advocate enactment of laws which will hold their feet to the fire.

Back in the seventies we were assured that the pendulum would swing back.  We heard it in the eighties, we heard it in the nineties, and we are hearing it now.  The pendulum is not swinging back.  It's not even slowing down.  Before he was shown the door, Grey Davis enacted legislation so despicable and hateful that had blacks been the target of it, there would have been rioting in the streets.  The only Men's Commision to exist, in New Hampshire, has been bitterly and stridently opposed, and as we speak the NOW is doing their damndest to put pressure on Washing ton to Dissolve it (Go to NOW.ORG.  Don't take my word for it)

I don't get involved with women.  Not because I hate them, but because I can't take the risk.  My neighbors, upon hearing raised and indistinct voices (Which could be just drunken singing) can call the police and demand I be hauled off for DV.  Zero Tolerance - sorry, we're just doing our jobs.  CSS can decide I'm a threat because I'm a male, solely on the word of some sour old bag of shit who doesn't think I'm a fit father for the most spurious of reasons.  Guess what?  If I don't leave, if mom doesn't go along - she gets the kids taken from her.  Channel 13 in indianapolis (WTHR) recently did a report where a woman was told by a judge if she didn't put the screws to her ex, the judge would force a hearing, rule against her and put the screws to HER.

I get told all the time "Pete, you're losing the chance for a good woman by not trusting women."  Hell, Alicia, over half of what I don't trust is the system.  I love my country, but I loathe and fear my government.  I've spent the price of a nice house and a couple cars on trying to just enforce the minimum of my rights as a father.  I've been bankrupted because an ex-wife disappeared to Florida, and ran up bills I got stuck with.  I got rid of her in 1998, and I'm still feeling the effects of that divorce - and that is the one I "won."

You've grown up probably steeped in the lie of "Male Privilege" but I will be damned if I have heard anyone articulate so much as one.  I could browbeat you with the list of female privileges.  And you'd probably get damned annoyed because you would never do that to anyone.  And quite probabhly YOU wouldn't.  But I'd be dependant on your good graces not to do so, because if you falsely accused me of rape, molestation, or harassment I'd be presumed guilty, and even if I proved myself innocent, I'd still be looked at as "guilty of something."  Even if I proved perjury, you'd never be charged, or suffer consequence one.  If we ever got married and had kids, divorced, and you kept them from me, you'd be turned into a feminist icon, have Lifetime Movies (Moment of Truth Movie: Stay away from MY kids!  The Aliciagomavs Story...) made about you, and probably never have to pay for an attorney to defend you, or be forced to do anything.  Hell, NOW was going to take up a collection for Andrea Yates, and stopped only because it was to far even for them to go, but to this day Dave Yates is made out to be some kind of monster.

I've never seen so much as one comment more supportive than "Poor Bastard.  There but for the grace of God go I" or "Damned amazing there isn't more of it sometimes" when a man goes off the deep end, but you know, we MRA's aren't marching in the streets demanding they be released.

So - turning into Feminists?  We aren't even close.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the MEANEST son-of-a-bitch in the valley.

AliciaGoMavs

Gonzo, first, thanks for making the effort of an actual reply, instead of the condescending bullshit you put out to me the first time you came here.  For this reply, I will do a point-by-point:

Gonzo:
Rather than do a point by point, I'll just address some generalities. Let's tackle the pregnancy thing first. I disagree.  Not because it isn't a good idea, but because you already have it. If you are pregnant, and I punch you, and cause a miscarriage, I'm going to be charged with murder. Even if you don't miscarry, I can damn well guarantee I will get no plea bargain, and will probably be beaten up in jail. Daily.  I oppose making anyone a protected class because of two things: First, it makes them a protected class. Second because it then gives that protected class license. License to be as bad as they wanna be, and be shielded by the law for it.  You probably don't feel that such a thing would be a problem because *you* would never do it. Alicia, most women aren't you - matter of fact, every other woman in the world isn't you. You take any human being, any class of people, and put them in a position where they don't have to observe the rules of common decency, and grant them legal protection, and you are asking for trouble. You will have women who will, upon becoming pregnant, provoke fights, stir up trouble, and hide behind their big belly. On top of that, a whole rash of victim lawsuits will commence, with women far and wide claiming "stress in the womb from emotional abuse" caused all manner of real or imagined problems.

I am not saying to make them a special protected class, Gonzo.  I know laws are in place already.  I am simply saying that, in the pursuit of true fairness and justice, this special recognition should be considered, as it is only women who can be pregnant, and that pregnant women are vulnerable in this state.  Your reply above actually almost sounds like you want it to be legal to beat on a pregnant woman; at least those who go starting fights.  And how many pregnant women do you know who go starting fights?  Many wouldn't take the risk that someone may actually hit them back.  And even if they did try to goad anyone into fighting them, it doesn't mean that the other person has to fight back.  Someone may try to goad you into fighting, but you are still the one who decides if and when your fist starts to swing.

Gonzo:
Now, as for blindness, you've made a nice and sweeping general statement. And it stops there. No specific - or even semi-specific - instances are given. Later on you talk about anger at all women, but with few exceptions, comments about "women" in general are grousing of the "Pygmalion" type (I.E. Rex Harrison singing "Why can't a woman be more like a man?") The truly vituperative comments are directed at feminists as a rule, and even then many still differentiate between feminists and feminazis. Sure, you have the scattered misogynists here - we've also had some outright feminists, racists, and bigots.

The problem I have had in the past in giving specifics is that the more masculist (and here I mean the angry male counterpart of feminazis.) types will always find some way to refute it.  The masculists will deny it, they will say it was misunderstood or taken out of context, or some other such tactic which is a deliberate effort meant to divert and obfuscate from the statements that I am making.  I decided that I will simply have to trust that you gents have the intelligence and the open-mindedness to see these things for yourselves.  I could just walk out instead of saying that there's a problem, but then you won't know that there's a problem (and then you'll say "Why don't these women tell us that there's a problem?").  When women start posting here less and less, it should be a sign that they aren't feeling welcome here.  Such a sign should be evident enough for the more observant men in here that women aren't feeling welcome.  Some women like me persist anyway, despite the unfriendly and sometimes even hostile environment that arises, because we are trying to reach the more observant and open-minded gents in here.  It sometimes feels like a foolish, futile hope, but hope is eternal.

Gonzo:
The difference is, unlike MS, they aren't automatically squelched in the name of political correctness, and in many cases it is acceded that blind squirrels though they be, a nut is occasionally found by them. If a general statement is made, often it is booed, or debated, or the worst possible result, ignored as unworthy of comment. Witness many of the Amber's! later posts - days would go by as it was dropped without comment, bumped only by herself.  Let the ignorant talk. We know where they are and what they are doing then. To mirror image the feminists we would silence those who dare step outside of conventionally accepted consensus for fear they might make a cogent argument. Thus far I've yet to see a SCUM Manifesto, or anything approaching it, arise from the Men's Movement. And remember, Valerie Solanas is a folk heroine among womyn (wimmin, whatever the PC term they are using to avoid being contaminated with the -men suffix these days). Raging misogynists are either so fringe they die out after a while, or so terribly tongue in cheek that to not laugh with them is possible only with puckered-anus PC types.

You haven't seen men get to that point, because they haven't... yet.  It's what I'm hoping to prevent, as it will do no one any good to have two fanatical gender-based activist groups going at it and screwing up society and the legal system for the rest of us.  That's a world that I would rather not come to pass.  

Gonzo:
As for the old "Aren't men's rights just human rights after all?"
I don't see Eskimos being denied access to their children because they are eskimos. I see it happening to men.
I don't see Hindus being deprived of due process because they are Hindus. I do, however, see it happening to men.
I don't see a epidemic of false accusations happening to Koreans because they are Koreans. I do see it happening to men.
The last time I saw a black with the old "Buckwheat wig" playing Step-and-Fetch-it was in a movie from the thirties, and many times these days such films are edited to remove such stereotypes. Though I do often see men portrayed as clueless losers and worthless slobs.

When did I mention Eskimos, Hindus, or Koreans or racial stereotypes of blacks?  And when did I say "Aren't men's rights just human rights after all?"  Criticize me for something I actually said, don't put words in my mouth and criticize me for something I didn't say.

Gonzo:
It's men I see being browbeaten into signing confessions before they are granted the proverbial "fair trial followed by a first class hanging." It's men I see hauled away in an ambulance with honey-pie having not a scratch because of "Arrest the man" policies. It's men I see with restraining orders still hanging over them even though they have proven them falsely obtained - and proving yourself innocent was never something that was supposed to happen in the good old US of A.
I don't know your backstory, AGM, but - if you don't have a divorced husband who you have become involved in his getting screwed by the courts finding youself unable to make ends meet with a current family (or even start one) because of being imputed income far beyond his ability to earn; If you aren't the sister of a much loved brother serving time for something he can prove he didn't do - but never got his day in court because it got deemed "administrative"; if you aren't the mother of a man who is near or has already taken his own life because the hope of his heart - his children - have been stolen from him; If you're not visiting your father or some other relative in jail because he was flasely accused of a rape or other assault he could not possibly have committed - if you aren't one of these, then you are a statistical aberration.  

You want a backstory?  Fair enough, as you weren't here when I had first given it.  Let me tell you about my uncle.  He can be a real nice, funny guy.  He always treated me very nice.  As a husband to his 3 wives, though, he was an asshole.  He was never physically abusive, but he was verbally abusive.  He would curse at his wives out loud, sometimes for the silliest things, calling them names and lecturing them like 3 year olds.  In front of family, no less!  I was embarrassed for the wives.  However, one of the wives decided to take revenge, and accused him of sexually abusing their daughter, who was about 7 at the time.  It was an outright lie, but he made it easy to believe because family and coworkers (they were both police officers) knew of his terrible treatment of his wife.  He was embarrassed and humiliated in front of coworkers, and worse, he was denied visitation of his daughter.  And for a lie.  He may have been and asshole, but he didn't deserve being accused of something that he was not.  That opened my eyes to how evil women can be, and how manipulative and scheming they can get.  Ever since then, I don't outright believe claims of child abuse, as it is SO easy to claim, and can be SO difficult to prove.  My cousin, meanwhile, got screwed twice, for not only was she denied a male presence in her life, she was raised by a lousy mother.  Not even a teen, and she was skipping school and was out late with older boys whom had no business being with her.  Her mother had no control over her, and barely a year after the divorce, she shuttled her to her father, my uncle, the "alleged" child molester.  By this time, though, my cousin was already a problem child, beyond discipline.  That woman's lie hurt not only my uncle, but their daughter.  And all for a stupid act of revenge.  Yea, Gonzo, I have seen the ugly side of both men and women.  I'm no fool as to how bad each can get.

Gonzo:  
That's not a bad thing, but a general statement that is quite fair to make is that unless they are bitten by the legal bias against men in family and domestic type courts in some way, the very vast and overwhelming majority of women never say boo.
We're pressing for laws to require a rebuttable presumption of joint custody For just one example) because as of right now -
Look, to be honest, there isn't a law on the books that prescribes bias against men. No Law exists that says "The word of the woman shall not be overturned except by the testimony of four men" or "No court shall exists where custody is not granted in 19 out of every twenty cases to the female, even if unfit." The laws, as written, are gender blind.
They're not applied that way. Administratibve procedures are written that way in family agencies. Agendas are used in hiring and promotion within those agencies. Precedents exist, precedents that disenfranchise men in their families. The legal system has shown itself to be unwilling or too lazy to reform, to start enforcing the laws, thus, we advocate enactment of laws which will hold their feet to the fire.
Back in the seventies we were assured that the pendulum would swing back. We heard it in the eighties, we heard it in the nineties, and we are hearing it now. The pendulum is not swinging back. It's not even slowing down. Before he was shown the door, Grey Davis enacted legislation so despicable and hateful that had blacks been the target of it, there would have been rioting in the streets. The only Men's Commision to exist, in New Hampshire, has been bitterly and stridently opposed, and as we speak the NOW is doing their damndest to put pressure on Washing ton to Dissolve it (Go to NOW.ORG. Don't take my word for it)

I've seen the divorce wars and custody wars up close and personal.  It's ugly, yes.

Gonzo:
I don't get involved with women. Not because I hate them, but because I can't take the risk. My neighbors, upon hearing raised and indistinct voices (Which could be just drunken singing) can call the police and demand I be hauled off for DV. Zero Tolerance - sorry, we're just doing our jobs. CSS can decide I'm a threat because I'm a male, solely on the word of some sour old bag of shit who doesn't think I'm a fit father for the most spurious of reasons. Guess what? If I don't leave, if mom doesn't go along - she gets the kids taken from her. Channel 13 in indianapolis (WTHR) recently did a report where a woman was told by a judge if she didn't put the screws to her ex, the judge would force a hearing, rule against her and put the screws to HER.
I get told all the time "Pete, you're losing the chance for a good woman by not trusting women." Hell, Alicia, over half of what I don't trust is the system. I love my country, but I loathe and fear my government. I've spent the price of a nice house and a couple cars on trying to just enforce the minimum of my rights as a father. I've been bankrupted because an ex-wife disappeared to Florida, and ran up bills I got stuck with. I got rid of her in 1998, and I'm still feeling the effects of that divorce - and that is the one I "won."

That is what I saw happen to my uncle, and it's why I want fairness and justice.  I can't tell you why women are the way they are, as each woman is different, but feminism is to blame for much of the injustice that is out there, I am well aware of that.  Like I said, I saw it for myself and what it did to my uncle.  Fortunately, he never spent any prison time, as his ex later dropped the charges, but the damage was done.

Gonzo:
You've grown up probably steeped in the lie of "Male Privilege" but I will be damned if I have heard anyone articulate so much as one. I could browbeat you with the list of female privileges. And you'd probably get damned annoyed because you would never do that to anyone. And quite probabhly YOU wouldn't. But I'd be dependant on your good graces not to do so, because if you falsely accused me of rape, molestation, or harassment I'd be presumed guilty, and even if I proved myself innocent, I'd still be looked at as "guilty of something." Even if I proved perjury, you'd never be charged, or suffer consequence one. If we ever got married and had kids, divorced, and you kept them from me, you'd be turned into a feminist icon, have Lifetime Movies (Moment of Truth Movie: Stay away from MY kids! The Aliciagomavs Story...) made about you, and probably never have to pay for an attorney to defend you, or be forced to do anything. Hell, NOW was going to take up a collection for Andrea Yates, and stopped only because it was to far even for them to go, but to this day Dave Yates is made out to be some kind of monster.

One thing to remember is that feminists did not gain these "victories" overnight; it came bit by bit until it was everywhere.  Dismantling the injustices that have been put in place likewise will not happen overnight.  The cause of fairness and justice must be won a convert at a time.  That's the most effective way.  It has to build and build until it can no longer be denied.  But you have to do this right, you have to win converts, and not make more enemies.

Gonzo:
I've never seen so much as one comment more supportive than "Poor Bastard. There but for the grace of God go I" or "Damned amazing there isn't more of it sometimes" when a man goes off the deep end, but you know, we MRA's aren't marching in the streets demanding they be released.
So - turning into Feminists? We aren't even close.

Let me add one more thing here.  I am not at all saying that men's anger over the treatment they've been getting by the legal system isn't justified.  Far from it.  You have a right to be angry.  However, my criticism is towards using that anger in productive ways, and NOT in destructive, self-defeating ways; especially in ways that will make enemies out of potential female allies.  Whether you admit it or not, whether you believe it or not, the cause of justice and fairness for men needs female allies.  The longer men go on without recognizing that delays that much longer the day when true fairness and justice arrives.  Men can change things for the better if they want, but they have to work at it (and I know that they have been working on it).  There is simply no other way.  Air those stories, protest those laws and bills, do whatever it takes, but realize that this won't happen overnight, and realize that you can't do it without female allies.  We also have eyes and ears, and we can tell right from wrong and we can be persuaded to do the right thing (sweeping generalizations here, of course).  But we've also seen the ugly side of men, and we need better assurances that this movement is a true effort for justice and fairness, and not simply a revenge movement against the opposite gender.  Keep directing that anger in the wrong way and you won't turn into feminists, but into their male, masculist counterparts.  And that's not a compliment.

Daymar

"When women start posting here less and less, it should be a sign that they aren't feeling welcome here. Such a sign should be evident enough for the more observant men in here that women aren't feeling welcome."

I've noticed the women posting here less and was kind of curious about it. If you're going to post on a board about gender issues dominated by men be prepared for some misogny. You're probobly also interpreting some posts by men as false misogny when they're just disagreeing with you. The male posters disagree with each other also sometimes..

I also think you're wasting your time by telling the 'masculists' that not all women are bad. They should already know no statement fits every situation but if they don't already know that then repeating it to them over and over wont change their minds. The only way you'll change their minds is by showing them examples that don't fit their mold.

Amber

Alicia directed me to this thread.  I came to see her (valiant and quite impressive) effort to articulate what every rational person, male or female, thinks of the men's movement and these boards.  I particularly liked her point about how men's movement anger and ugly behavior towards women will turn women into feminists.  We saw that happen with Anniee - when Galt, while drunk, came on and started insulting her for being a stay at home mom.  Anniee, an ardent anti-feminist, ended up going and posting at MS, and they welcomed her with open arms!  It's a female's natural response - if she is insulted for being nothing other than female, she is going to flock to a group that protects women just for being women.  That's exactly what the MRA are going to do.  They are going to make women run in horror to the arms of feminism, meanwhile justifying their (false) believe that all women are feminists, and gender war will go on forever.  

I also liked her point about men's right men being allowed to be angry, but the anger should be directed towards productive ends.  As of now, the only thing they are capable of is sending out hate mails, berating women, and the like.  Unless they pull their heads out of their ass, they will accomplish nothing except pissing off females.  

I decided that I will simply have to trust that you gents have the intelligence and the open-mindedness to see these things for yourselves.

That's a noble desire, Alicia, but I think your effort are going to be futile.  You can't get through to these guys, especially the new flood of men invading the board.  They can't see what is in front of their own two eyes.  They can't see the forest for the trees, or however that saying goes.  My plan is basically to boycott the site and everything to do with men's rights activism.  Let them be exposed in pure, raw form.  No more rational people or conservatives giving their input - making them look halfway normal.  I say we give them what they want - all conservative people and women to totally disassociate from them.  They'll turn into the male equivalent of MS.  We can point to this board and others like it for proof of how they really are.  Everyone can see it for what it is.  It will be good for shits and giggle like MS is, and also proof that those who fill up this movement, like the MSerys, are nuts.

I've received emails from men who are both affiliated and not affiliated with this forum and tell me they see a lot of misogyny here.  It's as plain as day.  

I don't favor debating people, trying to convert them, unless they are rational as you are trying to do, Alicia.  I learned that lesson on campus.  We tried to have a feminist versus anti-feminist debate once.  It was pointless.  They are like savage beasts.  A fundamental requirement of debate is that both sides judge things based on their intellectual merit.  Not so with these beasts.  They pretty much tried to shout us down; screamed all sorts of insults at us, etc.  They are out for blood.  I see the same thing w/ these men's rights activists.  You can't convert people who are at the level of animals.  Instead of debating, I prefer leaving them on their own to expose themselves for what they are.  Shed as much light on them as possible!  Get them in the media!  Let them go and let everyone watch!  Let them be exposed; don't try to debate them.  I trust people; it's these angry beasts I don't trust to be able to see A for A.

It's interesting Daymar says the women should pretty much "just get used to it" - just expect misogyny on a board "dominated by men."  It wasn't always like this.  Daymar hasn't posted here for as long as others here have.  This board wasn't filled with misogny before - the new flood of men's rights activists brought that all on their own.  It's revealing what he thinks the nature of man is - that men must necessarily grumble a lot about women.  And this board wasn't always dominated by men.  After Dan, I believe it is me who has the most posts.  Followed by Galt, then Anniee, even though she left a long time ago.  The women were all driven away *by* the misogyny.  

This place is not shethinks.  Shethinks was a site dedicated to questioning feminist dogma and advocating individual rights.  This is just a leftist site dedicated to men's rights activism.  By design, it was meant to dwindle into this.

I mostly recommend that all females leave this place, now.  You really have no idea what these guys are going to pull next.  It's not good for your psyche.  It's not good knowing these kinds of hateful misogynist monters are out there.  You can't convert them.  They're what ... 40+?  You can't convert that.  Too much baggage; too many blinders put over their eyes.  It's futile.  The only people worth trying to convert are 25 and under.  

This movement is a hate movement.  It's leftist in nature.  All rational people should boycott it.  Let them dwindle into the ugly, hateful people they are without the rational advice of others trying to save them.  Let people see them for what they are.  

Although I'll miss seeing posts from Alicia and some others.  :(
he men's movement is a hate movement.  

What feminism is to men; the men's rights movement is to women.

Men's rights activists blame misandry for all their problems in the same way that feminists blame the patriarchy.

The only thing men's rights activists are good at is abusing women.  

And you can quote me on that.  :D

Daymar

"It's interesting Daymar says the women should pretty much "just get used to it" - just expect misogyny on a board "dominated by men." It wasn't always like this. Daymar hasn't posted here for as long as others here have. This board wasn't filled with misogny before - the new flood of men's rights activists brought that all on their own. It's revealing what he thinks the nature of man is - that men must necessarily grumble a lot about women."

What the fuck are talking about? I said she should expect misogny from some posters because if they're posting on a gender issues board there will most likely be some men posting there who are pissed off at women. Dominated by men as in there are more male posters here.

You act like a spoiled little girl and wonder why people respond to you that way.

Z of the North

I agree with Gonzokid's breakdown of what feminism is. Alicia, do you fit that mold, yea or nay?

Now, for a seperate question, what are the characteristics of an anti-feminist?
--Z of the North

Daymar

If you agree with what Gonzo said about feminism then this quote by Alicia should tell you, "Gonzo, your 4 questions above are a good starting point to defining what determines a feminist. For the record, my reply would be "no" to all of them."

I don't really know what the popular anti-feminist definition is since everyone seems to have their own definitions for everything in this category of words. I would go with the simplest definition and say that it means against feminism. There are other words that can be used to describe other people's definitions for other types of anti-feminists.

Z of the North

Miss Pawlik,

Note that those men who are misogynistic, truly, are of low character as you acknowledge, but note one more thing about them:

They are almost inevitably traditionalists, believing that women should not be in the paid workforce, but should be at home, and that men should not be at home, but should be in the workforce.

Such traditionalism is misogyny just waiting to happen, because it is masochistic misandry already in place, and the latter begets the former.
--Z of the North

Go Up