Dave Futrelle's Man Boobz - They Put The "Blah" In Blog!

Started by Captain Courageous, Jan 08, 2011, 12:06 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Captain Courageous

Jan 08, 2011, 12:06 AM Last Edit: Jan 08, 2011, 07:34 AM by Captain Courageous
WTF is an MGTOW? And other weird acronyms and lingo.

For newcomers to this blog, here's a handy guide to some of the strange acronyms and lingo you'll encounter here and in the "manosphere" in general. (For a definition of that term, see below.) I will update this entry periodically as needed.

First, the acronyms you'll see most often here:

MRA: Men's Rights Activist
MRM: Men's Rights Movement

MGTOW: Men Going Their Own Way MGHOW: Man Going His Own Way

Ok, so what do those terms mean?

MRM: The Men's Rights Movement: A loosely defined, but largely retrograde, collection of activists and internet talkers who fight for what they see as "men's rights." Unlike the original Men's Movement, which was inspired by and heavily influenced by feminism, the self-described Men's Rights Movement is largely a reactionary movement; with few exceptions, Men's Rights Activists (or MRAs) are pretty rabidly antifeminist, and many are frankly and sometimes proudly misogynistic. Those who oppose the MRM are generally not against men's rights per se; they are opposed to those who've turned those two words into a synonym for some pretty backwards notions.

MGTOW: Men Going Their Own Way: As the name suggests, MGTOW is a lot like lesbian separatism, but for straight dudes. MGTOW often talk vaguely about seeking "independence" from western and/or consumer culture, and a few MGTOW try to live that sort of zen existence. But most of those who embrace the term have a deep hostility towards and/or profound distrust of feminists and women in general. Many MGTOW refuse to date "western women" and some try to avoid women altogether. As one MGTOW site puts it:

It is basically a statement of independence, and irrelevance - men declaring themselves free of the social expectations of women and western culture as a whole, because both have come to hate men. ...
Men basically have most of the rights we need, as long as we treat women like they have the plague.  ... If the only way men can avoid "oppressing" all these strong-as-men-but-oh-so-fragile-when-offended princess wannabes is to steer as clear of them as possible, a lot of men are quite ready to do that.

Some other terms and acronyms you'll run across here:

Anglosphere: Countries in which English is the primary language, or, more narrowly, those countries that used to be British colonies. They are full of evil Western Women (see below).

Incel: Involuntarily Celibate.  What my parents were before my dad found a mistress and my mom found sailors-on-leave. A word made up by my feminist handlers.

Mangina: Cretin carpet-munching clowns like me, who like to sniff other people's bicycle seats on a warm summer's afternoon and actually believe that crap about 'man purses'.

The Manosphere: Another fabricated word my feminist friends told me to plant here, in return for use of their thongs as bungee cords.

NAWALT: Not All Women Are Like That. Dudes in the manosphere make so many ridiculous and untrue generalizations about women that they've come up with their own little acronym to describe the most common reaction to their nonsense: "not all women are like that." Remarkably, many seem to think that making a reference to NAWALT is actually some sort of clever rebuttal of their critics.

PUA: Pick-up Artist. PUAs are obsessed with mastering what they see as the ultimate set of techniques and attitudes -- known as "Game" -- that will enable them to quickly seduce almost any woman they want. There is a vast literature on "game" online, though PUA is at its essence simply a male version of the age-old female ploy of "playing hard to get."

Western Women: Also known as WW. Evil harpies, at least according to many in the manosphere. Contrasted with "foreign women," a term that (in the manosphere, at least) sometimes refers to all women outside the Anglosphere, but often refers to a subset of these women from poor and/or Eastern countries, mostly Asian, who are regarded as more pliable and thus more desirable to haters of "Ameriskanks" and other WW.

Feminist Moles:  The primary source for the definitions I've posted here.  :pottytrain5:

http://www.manboobz.com/2010/12/wtf-is-mgtow-and-other-weird-acronyms.html

Captain Courageous

Those who oppose the MRM are generally not against men's rights per se; they are opposed to those who've turned those two words into a synonym for some pretty backwards notions.

So, they're "generally" not opposed to men's rights; just to a faction within the MRM? You know, the ones who have ruined it for everyone else. Of course!

Dad gummit. That thar is some pretty fancee wordin' Dave boy!  :icon_bigsmurf:

Captain Courageous

To help clarify things, here's some self-righteous "doubletalk":

Top Ten Dumb Things to Assume About Me and This Blog

This is a note mainly intended for my MRA readers, mostly so I won't have to deal with all this crap in comments again and again.

1) That I am anti-male, or against rights for men. Nope! I'm a man. I like having rights. The same rights as women. I am opposed to the retrograde, self-described "Men's Rights Movement," which I think is a bad thing for men and women both.

http://www.manboobz.com/2010/11/top-ten-dumb-things-to-assume-about-me.html

neoteny

Look, he's a freelance writer. He writes whatever brings in the money; and MRA/FRA writings aren't moneymakers as of now.
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

The Biscuit Queen

I tried to post this, not sure if it went through.

Your first assertion is not true. If you are feminist, you do not believe in your own reproductive rights and choices (Your only choice is to keep your pants on, unless you are not raped-then you have no choice at all).  You do not believe you have the right to your own body (the draft). You do not believe in your right to earn a good salary for your work and sacrifice(the wage gap myth.)You do not believe you have the right to the best medical care (women's health issues make up 80% of all medical research, even though more taxes are paid by men)

Feminism had its place in western society a long time ago. Today there is not a single way women are oppressed in the US that is socially acceptable or condoned. Women are the recipients of the most money spent in nearly every faction of the government, from health care to education to research to welfare. Women have more voting power, more spending power, more influence in the political sphere. It may be mostly men in the top positions, but those men are acting on behalf of women's wishes (the most cohesive and largest voting block)

As a modern western white woman, I am among the most safe and privilaged people in the world. As a modern american white man, you are among the group most quickly losing their rights and status. Give yourself another 10-20 years. You will not be saying the same things with the same smugness. That is why I am an MRA-I have two sons who have to deal with this stuff, and it will not get any easier.

BTW, while men commit more crimes, men are also overwhelmingly the victims of most crimes. Both assault and murder, 2/3 and 3/4 of victims are men. 93% of workplace deaths are men. So men being violent does not necessarily mean the average woman is in any danger at all. The fact that women live 6 years longer on average than men show this. 
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

Mr. X

Great comments BQ. Thanks for making them.
Feminists - "Verbally beating men like dumb animals or ignoring them is all we know and its not working."

Galt

Your first assertion is not true. If you are feminist, you do not believe in your own reproductive rights and choices (Your only choice is to keep your pants on, unless you are not raped-then you have no choice at all).  You do not believe you have the right to your own body (the draft). You do not believe in your right to earn a good salary for your work and sacrifice(the wage gap myth.)You do not believe you have the right to the best medical care (women's health issues make up 80% of all medical research, even though more taxes are paid by men)

Feminism had its place in western society a long time ago. Today there is not a single way women are oppressed in the US that is socially acceptable or condoned. Women are the recipients of the most money spent in nearly every faction of the government, from health care to education to research to welfare. Women have more voting power, more spending power, more influence in the political sphere. It may be mostly men in the top positions, but those men are acting on behalf of women's wishes (the most cohesive and largest voting block)

As a modern western white woman, I am among the most safe and privilaged people in the world. As a modern american white man, you are among the group most quickly losing their rights and status. Give yourself another 10-20 years. You will not be saying the same things with the same smugness. That is why I am an MRA-I have two sons who have to deal with this stuff, and it will not get any easier.

BTW, while men commit more crimes, men are also overwhelmingly the victims of most crimes. Both assault and murder, 2/3 and 3/4 of victims are men. 93% of workplace deaths are men. So men being violent does not necessarily mean the average woman is in any danger at all. The fact that women live 6 years longer on average than men show this.

That was a very compact, concise statement of what many MRA's believe - or, more likely, what reality is.

Jan 10, 2011, 03:00 PM Last Edit: Jan 10, 2011, 06:09 PM by John Dias
I've been commenting over at Futrelle's blog for months now, BQ, and I have to say that your presence there is a welcome addition.  We need reasonable and articulate voices to counter the assertions that the author makes routinely.  The purpose of David Futrelle's blog is to unfairly portray the various misogynistic statements that he finds around the Web (as well as statements that are conflated by David into examples of misogyny) as somehow representing the men's rights movement as a whole.  Another purpose of Futrelle's blog is to discredit the aims of the men's rights movement.  That's what is really in play here:  legitimacy.  If our movement is not socially perceived as legitimate, then we face a tougher time gaining leverage in the legislatures and at the ballot box.

I invite everyone here to monitor David's blog and to actively comment there.  The most effective way (I have found) is to use RSS, which lets you track comments that you have posted and their replies.  I invite anyone to send me a private message here through the forum if you, as a men's rights advocate, want to know more about how to use RSS in your activism.

The Biscuit Queen

Well, I have two thoughts. I will try to pop in and put in my two cents sometimes. The guys is taking things out of context and doing broad generalizations of men and MRAs based on the few-exaxtly what he claims we are doing to feminists.

BUT

I have said before and said again that what we discuss and our attitudes are fodder for our enemies. I have been told that trying to be nice gets us nowhere, and trying not to be rude just makes us weak. Yet here is the results of some MRAs making stupid comments and using terms such as Ameriskanks, whore, and bitch.  It makes ALL of us look stupid and misogynist when a few talk like that.

That said, calling him out on his dishonesty is not a bad thing. Just because one guy sends a vibrator bomb to his ex and two guys online joke about it does not mean most men would approve, agree, or condone it. For every act like this there is an act of setting a man's genitals on fire or severed. Again, does not mean most women would approve, agree or condone it, although the Lorena Bobbit case proved that more than  a few women thought that was perfectly acceptable.
he Biscuit Queen

Jan 10, 2011, 03:39 PM Last Edit: Jan 10, 2011, 03:47 PM by John Dias
@BQ:

I agree that we should call out people who make mischaracterizations about the men's rights movement and its agenda.  That's why I comment there.  But I don't believe that it's in my interest or that of the MRM to comment there forever.  As you have said, the very act of asserting oneself can be used as fodder by dishonest opponents to make subsequent mischaracterizations about you and/or your agenda.  Not only that, but if you debate against a particular adversary for too long, over time it gives him a profile into your tactics, strengthening him against you.

"You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war."
- Napoleon

Fortunately, insofar as David Futrelle's blog is concerned, I don't believe that we have reached that point yet.  And so at least for the time being, please speak up!

The Biscuit Queen

I have. I posted a couple of times, and will do so for a while.
he Biscuit Queen

Captain Courageous

I've been commenting over at Futrelle's blog for months now, BQ, and I have to say that your presence there is a welcome addition.  We need reasonable and articulate voices to counter the assertions that the author makes routinely.  The purpose of David Futrelle's blog is to unfairly portray the various misogynistic statements that he finds around the Web (as well as statements that are conflated by David into examples misogyny) as somehow representing the men's rights movement as a whole, and to discredit its aims.  That's what is really in play here:  legitimacy.  If our movement is not socially perceived as legitimate, then we face a tougher time gaining leverage in the legislatures and at the ballot box.

I invite everyone here to monitor David's blog and to actively comment there.  The most effective way (I have found) is to use RSS, which lets you track comments that you have posted and their replies.  Send me a PM if you want to know more.

I put this thread up in hopes that a number of us would engage in countering this scumbag's smug/smarmy propaganda. I wonder if there is in actual fact a male behind this tripe, or if it's more mental masturbation on the part of some threatened feminists.

Jan 10, 2011, 05:00 PM Last Edit: Jan 10, 2011, 05:06 PM by John Dias
I put this thread up in hopes that a number of us would engage in countering this scumbag's smug/smarmy propaganda. I wonder if there is in actual fact a male behind this tripe, or if it's more mental masturbation on the part of some threatened feminists.

He's male alright.  I've seen his picture that was associated with his previous online writing.  Also, I've talked to him over the phone.  He's a real guy.  Unfortunately, I believe that deep down, David Futrelle thinks that the people who advocate on behalf of men are somehow by definition apologists for misogyny.  His blog exists in order to perpetuate the legitimacy of the status quo (he told me that his intent is merely to study misogyny as a phenomenon, but I highly doubt that). In my opinion, his blog has a political purpose.  He wants his writing to thwart the political momentum of the men's and father's rights movements.

The Biscuit Queen

He really thinks that crappy blog will have that much influence on the MRM?
he Biscuit Queen

He really thinks that crappy blog will have that much influence on the MRM?

I think that David Futrelle thinks that his blog will be influential in *discrediting* the MRM, yes.

Go Up