Eek! A Male!

Started by The Biscuit Queen, Jan 12, 2011, 06:37 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

The Biscuit Queen

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703779704576073752925629440.html?mod=rss_opinion_main

EXCELLENT article about the dangers of demonizing men, written by a woman. It is of course written mainly with the intent that we are less safe when doing this, rather than the inherant wrongness of the act, but even so it hits the high points. Good for this journalist!
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

outdoors

excellent article

gunshy

Great find, every feminist should have to read it.

FP

Jan 12, 2011, 04:33 PM Last Edit: Jan 12, 2011, 05:13 PM by FP
Lenore Skenazy has a pretty good blog, http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/ .

She got lambasted in the media for letting her young son ride the subway home in NYC a few years back.

"But regular folk are suspicious, too. Last February, a woman followed a man around at a store berating him for clutching a pile of girls' panties. "I can't believe this! You're disgusting. This is a public place, you pervert!" she said--until the guy, who posted about the episode on a website, fished out his ID. He was a clerk restocking the underwear department. "

I should say something the next time I'm in a store and see a woman in the men's department shopping for her husband/sons. "You perv! What are you doing walking around with a pack of jockeys! This isn't the Kentucky Derby!".

I knew I shouldn't have read the comments. Usually they're mostly well reasoned at WSJ...

From page 2, "AJ MESALIC":
Absolute bulls_t. The safety of a child is more important than your fears. Man up and take your chances with the social pressures you're expressing.

It's more important take action and hope that "reason will prevail" among a jury of peers if you must make a choice like the English bricklayer had to make. If the cost of saving a child's life is 5 or 10 years in prison I will choose action over CYA every time.

Mr. X

Lenore Skenazy has a pretty good blog, http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/ .

She got lambasted in the media for letting her young son ride the subway home in NYC a few years back.

"But regular folk are suspicious, too. Last February, a woman followed a man around at a store berating him for clutching a pile of girls' panties. "I can't believe this! You're disgusting. This is a public place, you pervert!" she said--until the guy, who posted about the episode on a website, fished out his ID. He was a clerk restocking the underwear department. "

I should say something the next time I'm in a store and see a woman in the men's department shopping for her husband/sons. "You perv! What are you doing walking around with a pack of jockeys! This isn't the Kentucky Derby!".

I knew I shouldn't have read the comments. Usually they're mostly well reasoned at WSJ...

From page 2, "AJ MESALIC":
Absolute bulls_t. The safety of a child is more important than your fears. Man up and take your chances with the social pressures you're expressing.

It's more important take action and hope that "reason will prevail" among a jury of peers if you must make a choice like the English bricklayer had to make. If the cost of saving a child's life is 5 or 10 years in prison I will choose action over CYA every time.

I had that happen to me at ToysRUs. My sister is a big William Shatner fan, loved Captain Kirk and they had released this Ken and Barbie anniversary edition with Ken as Captain Kirk and Barbie as Yeoman Rand with the traditional costumes. So I went to Toys R us to buy this for my sister as a gag birthday present. So I'm in the Barbie isle... and yes is an actual WHOLE ISLE... looking. I had rode my motorcycle so I had on leather gear, chaps, my jacket etc. So the isle kind of clears out. Next thing I know there are three employees standing there asking me if they can help me find something, the store manager (woman) and two male employees. I tell them what I'm looking for and why and the woman IMMEDIATELY rolls her eyes, laughs, dismisses the two guys and points me at the box. She even tells me the thing looks cool and she was going to buy a set.

Imagine doing that to women in the action figure isle.

Keep it up ladies cause when the time comes, we men won't be there for you. You can't have your entitlement buffet without the caterers.
Feminists - "Verbally beating men like dumb animals or ignoring them is all we know and its not working."

LSBeene

FP - yea that jacka$$ has clearly never faced a kangaroo court, an unfriendly press, and the loss of job, social status, wealth, and possibly his marriage due to a charge like that.

Ignorant jerk.

Steven
'Watch our backs at home, we'll guard the wall over here. You can sleep safe tonight, we'll guard the door."

Isaiah 6:8
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

The Biscuit Queen

SO no one else saw that child on the road?  Or is the bricklayer the only one brave enough to talk about it. I cannot believe that a child dies as a direct result of the hatred, criminalization and distrust of men, and all these feminists refuse to see it. If it were guns, or swimming pools, or a lack of police work, these same women would be up in arms to make a new law preventing another tragedy. But on this one....chirp....chirp.

Shows you what is more important.
he Biscuit Queen

Mr. X

BQ - Supposedly this was a back road. He saw the child cross the road and head to the pond and knew the kid was unsupervised and a toddler and shouldn't be out anywhere. He refused to help because he was afraid of being charged with child abduction.

I routinely avoid kids at all costs. At one point I almost knocked over a display at a grocery store cause a kid was staggering around and not looking where he was going and I was trying to avoid him.

I remember one time during the day when I was home sick some teen girl came to my door selling some rug cleaner as a project thing for her highschool. So she wanted to come into my home and clean a spot on my rug to show the product worked. It told her to get lost and told her I'd be crazy to let a young girl into my home.

A lot of us men who are single are extremely paranoid of this. We are the "usual suspect". The impression is if you're not hooked up, there must be something wrong with you. If women don't hook up, they are independent. If men don't hook up they must be perverts. Like women are some dipstick that measures men's approval.

Feminists - "Verbally beating men like dumb animals or ignoring them is all we know and its not working."

The Biscuit Queen

I guess I would have had a hard time not doing something, even if my life were at risk. Even if I just sat in my car by the side of the road to wait until someone came along, and if no one came along then step in before the child drown. I have never been in the position you guys are in, however.

I feel really bad for this guy. He is likely beating himself up over this, when he had very valid concerns. I want to know where the parents of this child were, and if they were charged.

he Biscuit Queen

outdoors

I want to know where the parents of this child were, and if they were charged.

possibly a single mom playing "farmtown" on facebook

Mr. X

I want to know where the parents of this child were, and if they were charged.
From what I understand this was a rural area. Children do play. If we are to not blame men in general for things then we shouldn't be all over parents who have to work and keep an eye on their kids all the time. It could very well be an accident the kid got out and ran or the parent wasn't watching 100% of the time.

As I said I don't want to blame men in general but I also don't want to slap draconian rules on parents either. Kids play, they run around.

The Biscuit Queen

The child was 18 months old. That is far too young to be out of the house without supervision.
he Biscuit Queen

AnubisRox

What people don't discuss or even realize is the complete hypocrisy of it all. Remember the time a British Airways (i think) male passenger was made to move because there was a kid next to him? Doesn't anyone find it strange that its perfectly fine to separate kids from men UNLESS its what they wanted?

The circumstances are obviously different but the pervasive way of thinking that men can't be trusted is what contributed to that tragedy. You'd think that people are almost hardwired to help someone else when its a life or death situation. It just can't be out in the open of why what would be considered common sense now has to be second-guessed.

It seems to me that men who like to be near kids are vilified and men that DON'T are vilified also. It can't be a man's choice if he wants to be with or near kids at all, he just has to accept what is decided for him. You can easily find articles about men trying to gain custody of their kids and are rebuffed, even if the mother is unfit and/or men having to pay child support to kids they never wanted.

This guy's quote says it all:

That quote signifies exactly what this is all about. Its telling men "yes, you are dangerous to children and you won't be trusted but you BETTER be willing to risk your lives for them!" They tell us the same thing with dealing with women too. No matter how bad women think of men, men had better do what it takes to look good to them. No, their opinion of the "ugly male" won't change but you better try anyway. Its like running on a sociological hamster wheel!

ell she turned me into a NEWT!! A newt?! Er..., well I got better.

neoteny

It seems to me that men who like to be near kids are vilified and men that DON'T are vilified also.

You're right, of course; this is the classic double bind, AKA "damned if you do, damned if you don't".
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

Quentin0352

The child who died was at a daycare when she got out. Now in England to even BABYSIT you need to pass a background check and you can make a pretty safe bet that no men were working there either. Kind of like the guy who was threatened in England for daring to take pictures of his own child playing at the playground even AFTER they found out he was the father. No divorce or other issues either and it was about the same time as this incident.

Go Up