Iowa wrestling standout refuses to face girl

Started by Billy, Feb 17, 2011, 05:53 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Billy

Iowa wrestling standout refuses to face girl
By LUKE MEREDITH Associated Press The Associated Press
Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:15 PM EST

Cedar Falls' Cassy Herkelman gets her arm raised after winning by default in a Class... (AP Photo)

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- After a standout season in which he went 35-4, Joel Northrup had every reason to dream of winning an Iowa wrestling championship this year, but he gave it all up before his first state tournament match Thursday.

Northrup, a home-schooled sophomore who competes for Linn-Mar High School, said his religious beliefs wouldn't allow him to wrestle Cassy Herkelman, a pony-tailed freshman from Cedar Falls who is one of the first two girls to qualify for the tournament in its 85-year history.

Northrup issued a statement through his school expressing his "tremendous" respect for what Herkelman and Ottumwa sophomore Megan Black achieved this season, but he said didn't feel he had a choice.

"Wrestling is a combat sport and it can get violent at times," Northrup said in a statement released by his high school. "As a matter of conscience and my faith I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner. It is unfortunate that I have been placed in a situation not seen in most other high school sports in Iowa."

There were several thousand fans at Wells Fargo Arena on Thursday, but many were watching other matches when the referee raised Herkelman's hand to signal her win. There was a smattering of cheers and boos from the crowd before Herkelman was whisked into the bowels of the arena.

Northrup's decision to default put Herkelman in the quarterfinals in the 112-pound weight class, and it put her name in the record book as the first girl to win an Iowa state tournament match. But it deprived her of the chance to show the skills that earned her a 20-13 pre-tournament record.

Tournament organizers declined to make Herkelman available for questions. But her father, Bill Herkelman, told The Associated Press via text message that he understands and respects Northrup's decision.

"It's nice to get the first win and have her be on the way to the medal round," Bill Herkelman wrote. "I sincerely respect the decision of the Northrup family especially since it was made on the biggest stage in wrestling. I have heard nothing but good things about the Northrup family and hope Joel does very well the remainder of the tourney."

http://www.charter.net/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9LELJJG0%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1011

~oh well. He could have busted her in the mouth since we are equal now.
Wait, wrong sport...
Sure there would have been much cheering had she busted him in the mouth.~
It takes time to persuade men to do even what is for their own good.
~Thomas Jefferson

Men don't need women to fulfill themselves spiritually. They only need them to realize they don't need them.
~Henry Makow

A male defeating a female in a physically intensive sport such as wrestling would be seen in the same light as an adult defeating a child; the mere engagement in competition against a female lessens the value of the male if he wins, and tanks his value for life if he loses.

BRIAN

A male defeating a female in a physically intensive sport such as wrestling would be seen in the same light as an adult defeating a child; the mere engagement in competition against a female lessens the value of the male if he wins, and tanks his value for life if he loses.

Exacly.

This is the classic no win situation.
You may sleep soundly at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence upon those who seek to harm you.

Virtue

Did the article say if she won any matches at the state tourn apart from the one given to her?
Imagine waking up tomorrow to find
that unbelievably rape is now legal.

You would be freaking out, telling everyone you ran into this is crazy- something needs to be done... now!!! And then every man you told this to just very smugly and condescendingly says...

"Hey... not all men are 'like that.'"

neoteny

Did the article say if she won any matches at the state tourn apart from the one given to her?

That was her first match; both her and the other female were eliminated after two losses each, or so I understand.
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

Captain Courageous

Bill O'Reilly just featured the story. It's up for a vote on the "Pinheads and Patriots" segment. Let's see what the tally is Monday night.

Pacman7331

That is really upstanding of the guy to do that.

U know, cuz males and females shouldn't combat each other.

Interesting how the girl didn't back down.

We have the guy to thank for helping end gender war.  :angel4:

Billy

Interesting how the girl didn't back down.

We have the guy to thank for helping end gender war.  :angel4:
Actually this is a good semblance of the gender war where men back down or just don't show up to fight and the women take control of all areas and then pat themselves on the backs for being so badass.
~Thomas Jefferson

Men don't need women to fulfill themselves spiritually. They only need them to realize they don't need them.
~Henry Makow

TheManOnTheStreet

The sad part is as others have stated.. It was a loose-loose situation... And to top it all off, I am almost certain that she is running around telling al her you go grllll friends that he was too chicken to take her on...

Typical.  Yet, women have all these oppressive societal rules and beliefs, not men/boys....

TMOTS
The Man On The Street is on the street for a reason.......

Captain Courageous

My question is ...

how the hell do you wrestle a female and a) avoid touching her tits, and b) avoid touching her crotch? Isn't there a standard wrestling technique called "the crotch hold"?

It just occurred to me, what if SHE uses a crotch hold on HIM?

Ya know, this whole issue isn't sounding quite as bad as it did to me originally. :toothy9:

neoteny

My question is ...

how the hell do you wrestle a female and a) avoid touching her tits, and b) avoid touching her crotch?

You mud-wrestle her... then the above is the point.  :greener:
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

outdoors

My question is ...

how the hell do you wrestle a female and a) avoid touching her tits, and b) avoid touching her crotch? Isn't there a standard wrestling technique called "the crotch hold"?

It just occurred to me, what if SHE uses a crotch hold on HIM?

Ya know, this whole issue isn't sounding quite as bad as it did to me originally. :toothy9:

you cannot wrestler her with-out the risk of sexual content

i used to wrestle-lotsa crotch grabbin and gropin'--nevermind reaching around an opponents chest(or tryin' to)

i have seen very few pins that didn't involve an arm through the opponents crotch

hmmmm....i would let her win by default and not wrestle her...same as i oppose girl's in hockey after a certain age

they have an advantage for no other reason than the fact that they are a girl

Virtue

The only situation where girls win at all in wrestling (outside of an all girls wrestling team) Is where the Girl is near full grown at a lower weight.....for example the above girl at 112 pounds....she has attained near her full growth and muscle mass.....the 112 boys she is wrestling are almost exclusively late bloomers....as in they are still children......so basically its a child vs a near adult.  You never see girls win any matches at all above 140lbs
Imagine waking up tomorrow to find
that unbelievably rape is now legal.

You would be freaking out, telling everyone you ran into this is crazy- something needs to be done... now!!! And then every man you told this to just very smugly and condescendingly says...

"Hey... not all men are 'like that.'"

Billy

I took Karate when I was a young buck for short time and the Sinsei would often place me against his chubby sister for sparing.
This sister was good like his entire family but she was fat and had boobs down to her belt.
Yes was all boobs

The range to strike her was the face(off limits) or boobs(off limits) or kicks below the belt.
If you jabbed at her sides and she turned then you hit her boobs.

The sparing thing was a bad joke with this gal and a very unpleasant experience
~Thomas Jefferson

~Henry Makow

The Biscuit Queen

With the caveat that I wanted to wrestle during childhood like my brother, and was good at it but not allowed to compete, so I know how it feels not to be able to wrestle:

It is sexual harrassment for a girl to be in male wrestling. Girls need to get their own leagues, or not play.
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

Go Up