Catholic Schools

Started by BertieW, Apr 12, 2011, 11:28 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

BertieW

My sons go to 3rd grade and Pre-kindergarten at a Catholic elementary school, and the both love the school.  All their friends, both boys and girls, also like the school a lot.  Scores on standardized tests show that kids at this school significantly outperform students at public schools.  This is true for both boys and girls, but boys seem to be benefitting the most.  For example last year, the champion reader in each grade, as determined by objective tests, was a boy.  Even though reading is presumed to be the girl's strong subject, and girls are believed to mature faster in the early grades, every reading champ from kindergarten to 8th grade was a boy.  Of course the boys excelled in math and science as well.

Here's the problem:  Boys enjoy going to the school, and do well at the school, so you would expect that parents of boys, as well as girls, would want to send their kids there.  Yet, for some reason, a significant majority of each grade is girls.  In my older son's grade (3rd) girls are nearly two thirds of the third grade.  I am puzzled as to why parents seem to be much more eager to send daughters than sons to Catholic School.

Does anybody else here have kids in a Catholic school?  Is it normal for these schools to be mostly girls, or is just our school ?  If it is common for Catholic schools to be mostly girls, why is that?

BRIAN

There are more females than males in the general population that may be one reason for it. There are a couple of excellent Catholic Schools here where I live as well as some Protestant church schools and secular private schools that I can't afford to send my son to. The tuition is much less than the amount of school taxes I pay but the government won't even give us a partial refund voucher program. So I send my son to the government schools and supplement his education at home.
You may sleep soundly at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence upon those who seek to harm you.

BertieW

Thanks for the reply, Brian.  I married late to a younger woman, so even though I have young kids now, I can remember the early 1960s.  At that time, the State of Ohio gave "tax stamps" as reciepts for sales tax.  The storekeeper gave the customer tax stamps equal to the amount of sales tax paid.  Part of the sales tax went to support education.  You could give your tax stamps to any school you wanted, public or private, and the school could redeem the tax stamps for their share of the sales tax education money.  I wish there was still something like this today!

PaulGuelph

Maybe the school costs extra and mothers don't want to waste their money on boys.

I know that my sister was totally fixated on her daughter and seemed to forget that she had sons. Then she began to lament that her daughter was ambitious while her sons didn't seem to care about their future. I told her that nobody cares about their future, so why should they?
Men's Movie Guide:  http://www.mensmovieguide.com   The Healing Tomb: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081N1X145

Billy

More females than males in the general population?
That's a change.

Ordinarily there are more boys born than girls which helps girls to feel more pampered and spolit.

It takes time to persuade men to do even what is for their own good.
~Thomas Jefferson

Men don't need women to fulfill themselves spiritually. They only need them to realize they don't need them.
~Henry Makow

neoteny

More females than males in the general population?
That's a change.

Ordinarily there are more boys born than girls which helps girls to feel more pampered and spolit.

There are about 105 boys for 100 girls at birth, but that ratio changes as boys are more prone to a variety of life-threatening diseases and accidents.

Legend:

Pink: more females than males
Green: equal # of females & males
Blue: more males than females
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

Billy

The ratios change per age group.

Is that a birth chart or an overall sex ratio?

I know most places the females end up surpassing males as men die off early in the older age groups.

In America the ratio is high for males in the range of 25 or less.
The immigrants from South America seem to be mostly males.
It takes time to persuade men to do even what is for their own good.
~Thomas Jefferson

Men don't need women to fulfill themselves spiritually. They only need them to realize they don't need them.
~Henry Makow

neoteny

overall sex ratio?

Yes.

I know most places the females end up surpassing males as men die off early in the older age groups.

That's true, too; lots of that pink is due to grannies with blue hair surviving 85+.

In America the ratio is high for males in the range of 25 or less.
The immigrants from South America seem to be mostly males.

I was 25 when I came over the Atlantic (the first time) and yes, emigration/immigration is primarily a young male's trick to try.
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

Virtue

For example last year, the champion reader in each grade, as determined by objective tests, was a boy.  Even though reading is presumed to be the girl's strong subject

One of natures other wonderful sex discrimination's is that when you talk about IQ's over 155 that's nearly an exclusive mens club....I think the ratio of men to women with IQ's over 155 is something like 10 to 1....I would have to check that but I am not far off that I know.

So your star reader was most likely just incredibly smart......Wanna bet his math/science scores were off the chart too?
Imagine waking up tomorrow to find
that unbelievably rape is now legal.

You would be freaking out, telling everyone you ran into this is crazy- something needs to be done... now!!! And then every man you told this to just very smugly and condescendingly says...

"Hey... not all men are 'like that.'"

BertieW

[So your star reader was most likely just incredibly smart......Wanna bet his math/science scores were off the chart too?
[/quote]

I didn't mean just one smart star reader.  There were nine star readers, one for each grade kindergarten through 8th grade; all boys.

Virtue

I didn't mean just one smart star reader.  There were nine star readers, one for each grade kindergarten through 8th grade; all boys.

Ahhh gotcha ....sorry I thought it was the best reader in the school sort of thing.
Imagine waking up tomorrow to find
that unbelievably rape is now legal.

You would be freaking out, telling everyone you ran into this is crazy- something needs to be done... now!!! And then every man you told this to just very smugly and condescendingly says...

"Hey... not all men are 'like that.'"

Go Up