"Sisterhood and the SEALs" by Heather Mac Donald

Started by neoteny, May 27, 2011, 08:19 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

bluegrass

There is talk and I don't think it is idle talk of real war.  The wars that have occurred over the last several decades have been "real" for many of the the combatants (I say many not all because some of the "combatant's" are guiding drones from positions of safety, etc.) but not the public generally. I think we may be heading for war "real" to the public generally. We are obviously engaging in more and more militarism. Our economy and even our social fabric is disintegrating, etc. There are several scenarios that could realistically result in major conflict with a power sufficient to inflict real injury and possibly destruction on us.

I say this because if real war happens we are going to feel pretty darn stupid to the extent that we are relying on females for our "defense." You know I am not saying that all females are unreliable or unskillful at their military jobs. I am saying that when the real "shit" goes down we are safer if we relying on men. I just watched the start of a video where a woman was screaming and crying because TSA touched her breasts.  I think it is awful for TSA to do that.  But, nearly everything that happens in war is awful. Women are still allowed and do act that way (e.g. childish crying, screaming, etc.). Men almost never do. That kind of behavior is not going to cut it in real war.  Period.

Yes, all the fancy weapons are useful in war. But, ultimately, soldiers have to "take" territory. The air forces and drones and what not can soften up the enemy before the soldiers move in but the soldiers are going to have to move in and deal with the enemy. Women are not going to do that well.  If a major war occurs, we simply are not going to have enough fancy weapons to deal with all the dangers. We don't have enough F 16s and helicopters to take out every enemy position from the air. We are going to have situations where soldiers have to attack enemy positions the old fashion way. Again, women simply are not going to do that well.

I somewhat agree.  In my opinion, the military is preparing for an eventual need for the draft.

For insatnce, the recent recinding of don't ask don't tell only closes an easy back way out of the draft for anyone who really wants it.  I know a couple of guys who got out of going to Vietnam by saying they were gay.  And in these days when there is very little, if any, stigma attached to being gay, one could expect young men to escape the draft in droves through this method.

And as far as women in combat -- please.  You'll never see women in combat roles anywhere near equal to that of men simply because if women were maimed and killed in anywhere near the numbers that men are in a war it would become politically unsustainable almost ovenight.  Expect to see them in a "combat lite" type support role and the whole women in combat issue used as merely a means to draft them.  They'd draft them, put them in support roles and have that many more men available for the actual front line and house to house combat.
"To such females, womanhood is more sacrosanct by a thousand times than the Virgin Mary to popes--and motherhood, that degree raised to astronomic power. They have eaten the legend about themselves and believe it; they live it; they require fealty of us all." -- Philip Wylie, Generation of Vipers

Russ2d

And as far as women in combat -- please.  You'll never see women in combat roles anywhere near equal to that of men simply because if women were maimed and killed in anywhere near the numbers that men are in a war it would become politically unsustainable almost ovenight.  Expect to see them in a "combat lite" type support role and the whole women in combat issue used as merely a means to draft them.  They'd draft them, put them in support roles and have that many more men available for the actual front line and house to house combat.

I'm not sure if I agree here. What you say does add up, except I would add that military heads deep down know if equal numbers of women join men on the front lines we're going to lose a lot of battles- and if 'women in harm's way' were really the politics of the day why is there such a push to get them in? Two things'

1.) Qualifications and tests for military service have been either lowered or eliminated outright for women -to get them in, and that is just what is known. There's no telling how many cover-ups and lies were and are going on behind the scenes.

2.) I've noticed the same insane push to get women into the military of every country that is part of the IMF and the 'world bank'. Just thinking out loud here, pure speculation, but what if the plan is to weaken every potential armed force that might oppose an emerging world government...

Or maybe we just have an enormous number of shit-heads running things

The Biscuit Queen

Seems like the push to get women into these fields is based on the devaluation of certain traits. Women are no longer valued for their once primary role of procration and homemaking. My husband's grandmother was a typical great depression wife....she had 14 children, and was pregnant or nursing for over 30 years starting when she was around 20. She could not have served in the military, or worked outside the farm, because she was never in a position to physically do that. She did not even want children to begin with apparently, so this was just her taking on her responsibility as a Catholic wife. She and her husband raised these kids on very little, they grew their own food, made the clothing, and did without.

Today women rarely have more than 2 kids, and tend to wait later in life. So these women are in the same flux men are in trying to find their value in life. Sure the feminists have it all planned out, but most women are running on more base instincts. They are trying to use male metrics of success because that is what is now valued among women. Problem is we cannot always compete with men in those ways. So instead of embracing our strengths, many women feel the playing field needs to be adjusted.

I don't feel sorry for these women because we made our bed. We use the double standards to our advantage. But I understand that for the women it is not a nefarious plan to destroy the military, but a selfish attempt to get self esteem.
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

Quentin0352

Some good point. One other big gorilla in the room though, what about those who intentionally get pregnant to get out or avoid deployment? Should we charge them and boot them out like we did men who claimed to be gay suddenly? I saw that happen so many times while I was in that it is now a pretty well known joke. If you are prepping to deploy, plan on the pregnancy rate to skyrocket! All too often it has turned in to a way out and these "women" usually try to get pregnant by some other guy in the military so they can keep the free medical and rest while robbing him of a lot of his check while his ass is out being shot at. That or they claim they have no idea who the father is and can't name them.

TheManOnTheStreet

Some good point. One other big gorilla in the room though, what about those who intentionally get pregnant to get out or avoid deployment? Should we charge them and boot them out like we did men who claimed to be gay suddenly? I saw that happen so many times while I was in that it is now a pretty well known joke. If you are prepping to deploy, plan on the pregnancy rate to skyrocket! All too often it has turned in to a way out and these "women" usually try to get pregnant by some other guy in the military so they can keep the free medical and rest while robbing him of a lot of his check while his ass is out being shot at. That or they claim they have no idea who the father is and can't name them.

Indeed Q.  When I was in, the same thing would happen.  A month or so prior to shipping out (Med or westpac) a rather large amount of independent and strong wyminz would all of a sudden become pregnant.  In addition, a good many wouldn't even be pregnant by their husbands!  Thus the reason for the spike in divorces upon return from a cruises as well...

TMOTS
The Man On The Street is on the street for a reason.......

Go Up