Que ?

Started by poiuyt, Jun 05, 2011, 10:28 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

poiuyt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13661407

Women's convictions for domestic violence 'double'
By Hayley Cavill

The number of women convicted of domestic violence in England and Wales has more than doubled in the last five years, an investigation by BBC Radio 5 live Breakfast has found.

Figures obtained from the Crown Prosecution service showed that almost 4,000 women were successfully prosecuted in the last year, compared with 1,500 women in 2005, [a 169% increase.]

Some experts say it is a worrying sign of the growing culture of violence among women, while others believe that men are now more likely to report that they have been beaten up by their wives and girlfriends than in previous years.

Chief Constable Carmel Napier, the Association of Chief Police Officer's lead on domestic abuse, says the figures show there is wider reporting of domestic abuse.

"We know about more cases now because of better responses from police, multi-agencies and the voluntary sector and a shift in the societal view of the crime," she says.

Peter says he was physically and emotionally abused by his wife for almost a year.

But after finally calling the police, he could not bring himself to press charges.

He had to sleep for months lying in the same position, on his back facing up. If he turned his back his wife would punch and kick him.

Peter says the first incident of violence took him completely by surprise.

"I wasn't expecting the punch on the face. I wasn't expecting somebody hitting me so fast.

"You know when you love someone so much and you just believe they can just change? I was hoping she would change," he says.

Kieron was stabbed in the chest by his ex-wife. She is now serving a four-and-a-half year prison sentence.

He says the abuse started during her pregnancy.

The night he was stabbed, Kieron's wife came home from a friend's house demanding he cook her something to eat.

They got into an argument and she threatened to punch him, but when he pushed her away she went into the kitchen and grabbed a steak knife and plunged it into Kieron's chest.

"I could see the blood coming through the T-shirt.

"All the time I was on the phone to the ambulance I was in and out of consciousness.

"All I remember is that the ambulance people were there giving me oxygen and pain relief. The doctors gave me a 50-50 chance whether I was going to live or die," he says.

'Decades behind'

It is unclear why the conviction rates for women committing domestic violence are on the up, but organisations that offer help to male victims are sparse.

One charity that does is Mankind, who says there are just over 70 bed spaces in 20 refuges or safe houses for male victims in the UK, compared to 7,500 for women.

Mankind's chairman, Mark Brooks, believes that despite the number of women being convicted, some organisations still fail to recognise that men can be victims of domestic abuse too.

"There are a number of national and local help lines. There are some councils and police forces that do a great job in encouraging and supporting men when they come forward, but it's far too few," says Mark.

He believes that services are around three decades behind those available to female victims.

"Really in this day and age that is not acceptable," he says.

The Crown Prosecution Service says any form of domestic violence is a serious crime irrespective of whether the victim is male or female - and that there is no bias or lack of concern when dealing with cases of male victims.

Men though remain by far the main offenders with the numbers convicted increasing from more than 28,000 in 2005 to just over 55,000 in 2010.

dr e

But, but, but, but.....

Men though remain by far the main offenders with the numbers convicted increasing from more than 28,000 in 2005 to just over 55,000 in 2010.

Old lies die slow deaths.   :BangHead:
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

outdoors

But, but, but, but.....

Old lies die slow deaths.   :BangHead:

ya-you just knew that was coming

nice how it was saved for the last line

Quentin0352

YUP! If the numbers of women double, better make sure the same happens with men at the least since we don't dare let the percentages shift much.

Go Up