Subaru Commercial Puts Dads In A Good Light

Started by Captain Courageous, Jul 15, 2011, 12:31 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Captain Courageous

Somebody in the advertising field is getting our message about male-bashing. Take this SONY!   :MRm3:

Baby Driver

BRIAN

Maybe we are starting to get through to the population at large.
You may sleep soundly at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence upon those who seek to harm you.

neoteny

It is marketing which is suspect by default but at least it plays on positive emotions.

Yes it is good that a father's love for his child (in this instance a daughter) can be shown in a decent, non-maudlin way, instead of being ridiculed or demonized by being depicted as creepy.
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

AnubisRox

Also, they figure that women won't drive Subarus because they're more utilitarian and not "sexy". So they appeal to the men since they'll be the only ones who will buy it.

Think about it, have you ever seen a misandrist 4x4 commercial? Granted they show more of the truck than anybody in it (assumed man) but at least no guy is being ridiculed in it.
ell she turned me into a NEWT!! A newt?! Er..., well I got better.

The Biscuit Queen

Anubis, the male products are often sold through male bashing, (cheap beer being one example) and Subaru's are often driven by women who want a safe vehicle in the winter. I had one for 10 years, fantastic car.
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

AnubisRox

Anubis, the male products are often sold through male bashing, (cheap beer being one example) and Subaru's are often driven by women who want a safe vehicle in the winter. I had one for 10 years, fantastic car.

I've heard that said about Volvos but not Subarus. In my observations you're a huge minority. :-)
ell she turned me into a NEWT!! A newt?! Er..., well I got better.

TheManOnTheStreet

I find that nature/tree-hugger types tend to drive those things.... typically women...

TMOTS
The Man On The Street is on the street for a reason.......

The Biscuit Queen

I competed in dog sports for years, many of the competitors, mainly women, drove Subarus. It is known here as the woman's pick up. They have good ground clearence for rough roads and all wheel drive for snow as well as lots of cargo room but get decent gas mileage and are not huge. Can I ask where you are from Anubis...I noticed the Subarus are really popular up north, but not so much in the south where it doesn't snow, and not so much in cities either. Volvos on the other hand are a rarity here, although my 15 year old is getting a Volvo 240 Estate Wagon for his birthday. (He has dreamed about that car since he was 8. )

This is a good example why our personal experience is no replacement for statistics. Obviously we have had very different experiences here.
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

neoteny

my 15 year old is getting a Volvo 240 Estate Wagon for his birthday.

He must be living in Idaho, Kansas, Montana, North Dakota or South Dakota, 'cause only those northern states have Restricted License for 15 or less years old. I don't assume that he would get a car when he can have only a Learner's Permit.

Otherwise it is exceedingly cool that his 1st wheels are going to be his long-dreamed after make & model.  :toothy9:
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

Go Up