Mass. man accused of stealing $200,000 from dates

Started by neoteny, Aug 17, 2011, 01:52 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

neoteny

Mass. man accused of stealing $200,000 from dates

BOSTON (AP) -- A married Massachusetts man met four other women online, romanced them over the span of years and then stole more than $200,000 from them by feigning financial and medical problems, authorities said.

Albert Lovering Jr., of Waltham, was indicted Tuesday on 23 counts of larceny. He pleaded not guilty Wednesday.

Lovering, 54, met the women through various dating websites and deceived them into believing he was romantically attached to them, Middlesex District Attorney Gerry Leone said. The women loaned Lovering money -- including one who gave him more than $100,000 after meeting him just once -- with the expectation he would repay them, but he never did, Leone said.

"These allegations are extremely troubling and the defendant's lies spanned several years, targeting numerous victims who were conned into believing the defendant cared for them," Leone said in a statement.

Lovering's lawyer, Daniel Flaherty, revealed his marital status as he asked a judge to release his client on personal recognizance as he awaits trial. He said Lovering has lived with his wife in Waltham since 1999.

The judge rejected the request and set bail at $10,000 cash. Flaherty did not immediately return a call seeking comment on the accusations.

Lovering allegedly met the first woman in 2006 after they both placed dating ads on Yahoo.com. The woman agreed to loan Lovering $1,000 after he told her he had placed a bid on eBay on an item he had to purchase immediately, prosecutors said.

He allegedly then told the woman he needed more money for several purchases and that he needed her to cosign a loan. When the loan was approved, he used the money for himself and did not repay the woman, Leone said.

Lovering met the second woman in 2008 through a personal ad on Craigslist and courted her with "romantic dinners and professions of warmth, affection and physical attraction," Leone said. He also convinced her that he needed $28,000 to complete an eBay purchase, authorities said.

The woman never saw Lovering again, but he continued to communicate with her electronically, telling her he had to be hospitalized in New Hampshire for a serious medical condition, Leone said. He allegedly told her that his health insurer would not pay several of his medical bills and that the hospital would not release him until those bills were paid.

"Based on his need, her affection for him and his promises of repayment, she sent a series of checks payable to him to a post office box," Leone said. In total, the woman loaned him more than $70,000, he said.

Prosecutors said Lovering met a third woman in 2009 through Craigslist. When they met for the first time, Lovering allegedly told the woman he owed the Internal Revenue Service back taxes and asked for a loan. The woman loaned Lovering $7,200 and never saw him again, Leone said.

Lovering met the fourth woman through Plentyoffish.com, authorities said. They met only once, but Leone said Lovering led the woman to believe he was romantically interested in her and told her he needed a loan to pay back taxes. The woman gave him two checks totaling $1,500 on the promise that he would repay her, authorities said.

Leone said Lovering told the woman in January 2009 that he was hospitalized in New Hampshire and unable to get discharged until all his medical bills were paid. The woman repeatedly sent money to him through a post office box, investigators said. All told, she loaned him more than $100,000, they said.

----

Yes I agree, he should be drawn & quartered (but at least hanged or shot) for behaving like he cared.

These women victims must be the 40+ "invisible women" who are glad to pay for a bit of personalized attention. The attention of a predator, but still...
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

Quentin0352

So acting like you care is a crime if it is a man but if a woman acts like she cares the courts will hammer him for being a sucker.

davis2ab

Gee, whiz. I think every woman who ever claimed to care about me was just pretending.

outdoors

It's just not safe anymore,for anyone.

Quentin0352

It's just not safe anymore,for anyone.

No, it is still safe for women since they can have the government punish men like this. Women who do it still have the government ENFORCE stealing from a man by comparison.

Virtue

So acting like you care is a crime if it is a man but if a woman acts like she cares the courts will hammer him for being a sucker.

And then order palimony!
Imagine waking up tomorrow to find
that unbelievably rape is now legal.

You would be freaking out, telling everyone you ran into this is crazy- something needs to be done... now!!! And then every man you told this to just very smugly and condescendingly says...

"Hey... not all men are 'like that.'"

LSBeene

Yea, there does seem to be just a BIT of a double standard here.

A guy who meets a woman on the net, who is dumb enough, trusting enough, or duped into giving that woman money would be ridiculed, accused of trying to pay for sex, or IMO, told to "learn his lesson" about trying to buy love.

Again - as in many things, my problem is the double standard we are seeing in play here.

Steven
'Watch our backs at home, we'll guard the wall over here. You can sleep safe tonight, we'll guard the door."

Isaiah 6:8
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

The Biscuit Queen

He did not steal anything, they gave it freely and willingly. They should consider it a tax on stupidity and move on.
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

LSBeene

He did not steal anything, they gave it freely and willingly. They should consider it a tax on stupidity and move on.

BQ!!!!!

First off: HELLO BQ!!!!  Kind and warm greetings to you!

Second:  I dunno BQ - men who give diamond necklaces, or free cars, or women who do the same .... yea, you'd be right.

Where the guy f*cked up though was in asking for LOANS.  That implies repayment.

Now, if he was smart, he would claim up and down they were gifts, not loans, unless there was paperwork.

But a gift versus a loan, legally, are two different animals.

Not trying to be contrary - not at all. 

Steven
'Watch our backs at home, we'll guard the wall over here. You can sleep safe tonight, we'll guard the door."

Isaiah 6:8
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

K9

Just let him borrow a computer; he'll have that bail money in no time.
Explaining misandry to a feminist is like explaining "wet" to a fish.

neoteny

Just let him borrow a computer; he'll have that bail money in no time.

He can always get a female CO to sneak in a smartphone for him & then he's set.
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

The Biscuit Queen

Your right, I just skimmed the article, missed that one.

he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

neoteny

Nice to see you, BQ; how's Life treating you guys these days?

Quentin0352

Welcome back BQ!!!! We missed you here!

As for the story, they present it as him asking for loans but the source of the claim it was a loan and not a gift are not indicated. The women say it was a loan I am sure but did HE say there were loans?

K9

If domestic violence cases set a precedent, he'll be able to claim anything he wants day before court starts.
Explaining misandry to a feminist is like explaining "wet" to a fish.

Go Up