Women's shelter not safe for clients, director says

Started by outdoors, Aug 26, 2011, 09:50 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

outdoors

Women's shelter not safe for clients, director says
CBC News Posted: Aug 26, 2011 9:29 AM CT Last Updated: Aug 26, 2011 10:11 AM CT

Osborne House, a shelter in Winnipeg, is not fit to house the women and children who go there to escape abuse, the executive director says.

Bedbugs, black mould and crumbling infrastructure are making the crowded building unsafe, Barbara Judt said.

"The building hasn't been maintained," she said. Manitoba Housing doesn't provide enough money for repairs, but has also told the shelter it can't be moved.

"We have huge storage issues and it's not like we have a lot of stuff here. But we don't even have the day-to-day items. We don't have a lot of room for them." Many people's belongings have to be stored in the hallways, which poses a safety hazard.

There is mould in the kitchen, which recently failed a safety inspection.

Osborne House helped 3,000 women and children in 2009, either over the phone or in person.

It provides shelter, counselling and even schooling for families in crisis.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2011/08/26/osborne-house-funding.html

Watch for the feminist media bias on this one

my comment has already been censored

oh geez...more begging for $$$.

I thought the real victim's were not safe because of the drug addict's and violent women who use these facilities to pump up the stats

outdoors

comment ratings are flying on this story

dr e

Osborne House helped 3,000 women and children in 2009, either over the phone or in person.

This is the sort of shit that you tend to see from these folks.  Of course 2,876 of those helped were over the phone (average length of call was 45 seconds) with 12% of those being wrong numbers.  That leaves  124 people actually helped in person.  Of those 12 were women (one a month) each with 9 children.  lol Yeah, four were just added to pad the stats and get them up to 3000.  Of those 12 nearly 50% were relatives of staff members who needed a place to stay for a night....since their locations are secret so are their actual stats and they have been hiding for decades.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

outdoors

The CBC bias moderation is so left wing i get dizzy from reading it.

Can't get anything through.   :angryfire:

outdoors

Shrek wrote;
A story about a shelter for abused women - and the misogynists can't leave it alone.

Some of these comments show how some minds can so easily downplay and dismiss violence against women. They blame the victims and co-opt the issue to make it about 'poor men'.

Accept that men are by far, more violent, accept that the reason that we don't have men's abuse shelters is because hospitals aren't flooded with intakes of badly beaten men who are terrified of their wives, accept that when women hit and kill it's usually in self-defense, accept that feminists don't hate men - they have sons, husbands, brothers, fathers...and they want to live in a society that treats them as well as their female friends and loved ones. And finally - many feminists are men - think about that.

my response that will not get through;

outdoors wrote;
omg!
I would reply to your comment but the feminist's who you say believe in equality for everyone will not let most opinions through with their bias moderation.
This just shows how much feminist's believe in true equality.
Oh and don't let facts get in the way of your obvious brain-washed opinion.

outdoors

LOL OMG!

i copied dr e's comment and posted it-CBC actually let it through

even though cbc has denied all of my "nice" comments

I never ever thought CBC would let that through

:toothy9:

Go Up