Soldiers' Voices: "I can do anything"

Started by neoteny, Sep 10, 2011, 11:53 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

neoteny

Statistics could help with this question: what is the ratio of US men & women in Afghanistan to how many of them are killed/wounded. I don't have the data (and it might even surprise us), but this is a case where plain numbers would say a lot.

Hungarians lost six soldiers in Afghanistan, two of them women (I don't have data regarding the ratio of the sexes in the Hungarian contingent in Afghanistan).
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

User 0

in conflicts like a-stan, though, do you think there really is a "front" or "rear" so to speak? especially afghanistan, cuz those people have been doing guerilla warfare since alexander the great.

There is, more or less.  Certain areas are far more dangerous than others, with bases being relatively safe.  You'll get indirect fire (mortars) from time to time at Kandahar, for instance, but it's not like you're under constant threat of being sniped on your way to Tim Hortons in the Canadian part of base.

Virtue

Statistics could help with this question: what is the ratio of US men & women in Afghanistan to how many of them are killed/wounded

I don't know the specifics about afganistan but in the USAF in the 90's there was about a 20 to 1 male to female ratio.....and the USAF had the highest percentage of woman over all the other forces by nearly double the next on the list (Navy)

I doubt those numbers have changed much in the last 20 years.
Imagine waking up tomorrow to find
that unbelievably rape is now legal.

You would be freaking out, telling everyone you ran into this is crazy- something needs to be done... now!!! And then every man you told this to just very smugly and condescendingly says...

"Hey... not all men are 'like that.'"

Go Up