Survey: Not a single secretary wants to work with a female law partner

Started by Galt, Oct 28, 2011, 07:18 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Galt

This is interesting:

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/not_one_legal_secretary_surveyed_preferred_working_with_women_lawyers_prof_/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

142 legal secretaries at larger law firms were surveyed. They were mostly middle-aged with a lot of experience. NOT A SINGLE ONE wanted to work with a female partner.

Some of the (probably cautious and not-willing-to-rock-the-boat) comments:

• "Females are harder on their female assistants, more detail oriented, and they have to try harder to prove themselves, so they put that on you. And they are passive aggressive where a guy will just tell you the task and not get emotionally involved and make it personal."

• "I just feel that men are a little more flexible and less emotional than women. This could be because the female partners feel more pressure to perform."

• "Female attorneys have a tendency to downgrade a legal secretary."

• "I am a female legal secretary, but I avoid working for women because [they are] such a pain in the ass! They are too emotional and demeaning."

• "Female attorneys are either mean because they're trying to be like their male counterparts or too nice/too emotional because they can't handle the stress. Either way, their attitude/lack of maturity somehow involves you being a punching bag."

• Women lawyers have "an air about them."

bluegrass

Interesting that no one wants to make a comment without the caveat that women's bad behavior has to do with them either being the victims of men or trying to BE like men.

I guess they're not trying hard enough to be like men if everyone still wants to work for the men.

"To such females, womanhood is more sacrosanct by a thousand times than the Virgin Mary to popes--and motherhood, that degree raised to astronomic power. They have eaten the legend about themselves and believe it; they live it; they require fealty of us all." -- Philip Wylie, Generation of Vipers

Russ2d

Generally speaking women are not natural leaders and when put into to positions that require aggressive decision making they tend to have 'difficulties', which includes resenting having to rely on others and inappropriate overcompensating

K9

Another possible angle; these legal secs are looking for a pussy pass from their employer and they don't get it when the boss is a woman.  Showing cleavage or ass to a female boss doesn't get you anywhere.
Explaining misandry to a feminist is like explaining "wet" to a fish.

dr e

I think that the future will bring us more research like the one done on negotiations where a subset of the subjects were given testosterone.  Those subjects were expected by the researchers to be more aggressive, cheat and take more risks but what they found was that the ones given testosterone ended up being significantly more fair than other participants.  I am guessing that the secretary preference here may be connected to this sort of finding.  There are many other studies that show that people prefer male bosses.  I would not be at all surprised to see that one sex difference is that males tend to be more fair in their leadership.  This would make sense since it is the men who have for thousands of years had to provide and protect and therefore have a genetic history of both leadership and taking care of the entire group.  The ladies have a similar history with child care but not with stewarding the space for all.  When it comes to taking care of everyone they are news.  My goodness, just look at female congressman's agenda and see that it is almost always pro-woman.  Then look at male congressman's agenda and note that it is pro-female.  Yes, men are left out of both but it is the men who are more likely to promote the needs of their opposite sex while women often focus solely on promoting their own sex. 

Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

Russ2d

Oct 30, 2011, 07:58 PM Last Edit: Oct 30, 2011, 08:03 PM by Russ2d
Certainly the expectation of aggression risk taking and sex drive is valid, but I don't think testosterone and 'fairness' is an accurate conclusion. T with the correct cells among other things yields a superior stress response... the ability to think, react, and handle decisions while under pressure.

I've asked this before in the social circles I run in. Crying, outside of physical trauma, occurs when a person is mentally and emotionally overwhelmed. How many times have you ever seen a man cry on the job/because of job pressures? I have never seen or heard of a instance. How many times has a woman? I have personally seen quite a few women break down in my office and I've heard of many others.

Effective leading requires a certain level of aggression, of balls, to handle all the personalities, challenges, and potential hostility. Without help, and someone to defer to when overwhelmed women quite frankly break down. With help they may overcompensate with the dreaded I must prove myself chip.

The exception to this for normal healthy women is the handling of the kind of stresses involved with children, but this in my opinion does not translate to other types of stresses.

Testosterone gives men the edge when imposing ones Will and dealing with any kind of response when making decisions for a group.

neoteny

How many times have you ever seen a man cry on the job/because of job pressures?

Well, male politicians sometimes do it at press conferences when they're caught with their hand in the cookie jar (or some other opening).
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

dr e

Certainly the expectation of aggression risk taking and sex drive is valid, but I don't think testosterone and 'fairness' is an accurate conclusion. T with the correct cells among other things yields a superior stress response... the ability to think, react, and handle decisions while under pressure.

Have a look at this.  Pretty interesting stuff. The article is basically verifying what you are saying about the myth of testosterone versus the reality but explains very clearly their speculation about fairness.  Especially interesting that those who assumed they were taking T but were not were the ones who were the most unfair!  LOL

http://ts-si.org/files/doi101038nature08711.pdf
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

dr e

Men will tend to cry in public when they are either big winners or big losers.  Both for different reasons.  All men in between will avoid public emoting whenever possible.

Virtue

Another possible angle; these legal secs are looking for a pussy pass from their employer and they don't get it when the boss is a woman.  Showing cleavage or ass to a female boss doesn't get you anywhere.

Never to be discounted!
Imagine waking up tomorrow to find
that unbelievably rape is now legal.

You would be freaking out, telling everyone you ran into this is crazy- something needs to be done... now!!! And then every man you told this to just very smugly and condescendingly says...

"Hey... not all men are 'like that.'"

blackmanxxx

I like where  your  head's  at !

Go Up