To discipline or not to discipline ?

Started by poiuyt, Nov 04, 2011, 12:32 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

poiuyt

Judge William Adams beats daughter for using the internet
JUDGE WILLIAMS ADAMS
Texas judge won't face charges for beating daughter.

Police say it is too late to prosecute after YouTube footage shows William Adams thrashing daughter, 16, with a belt.

Hillary Adams, daughter of Texas judge William Adams, says she feels some regret about uploading a video of her father belting her but that she hopes it forces him to get help.

Photograph: Chris Sherman/AP

The Texas judge who gives his daughter a savage beating in an internet video viewed more than 2m times will not face police charges but has stopped presiding over child abuse cases.

Hillary Adams, who uploaded the video showing the 2004 beating, went on television in the US to explain why she had done it, saying the beatings happened often when she was young.

Adams, now 23, said she had received an outpouring of support and encouragement since posting the video last week. But her feelings were tempered by the sadness that her father lashed her 17 times with a belt after threatening to beat her "into submission".

Adams, 51. likely would have been charged with causing injury to a child or other assault-related offences for the 2004 beating of his then 16-year-old daughter but the five-year statute of limitations had expired, said Tim Jayroe, police chief in Adams's town of Rockport. "We believe that there was a criminal offence involved and that there was substantial evidence to indicate that and under normal circumstances ... a charge could have been made," Jayroe said.

He said the district attorney determined he could not bring charges. Police would discuss the case with federal prosecutors even though he did not believe federal charges would apply.

Speaking to the Associated Press outside her mother's home in the Gulf coast town of Portland, near Corpus Christi, Hillary Adams said: "I'm experiencing some regret because I just pulled the covers off my own father's misbehaviour after so many people thought he was such a good person ... But so many people are also telling me I did the right thing.

"He's supposed to be a judge who exercises fit judgment."

In an interview with NBC's Today Show on Thursday she said the attack was not a one-off. "It did happen regularly for a period of time," she said.

In the same interview her mother, Hallie Adams, blamed her ex-husband's bouts of violence on his "addiction," calling it a "family secret". Their 22-year marriage ended in 2007.

Texas judge William Adams. Photograph: AP Aransas county sheriff Bill Mills said William Adams had been receiving threatening phone calls and faxes at the courthouse since the video went online.

Corpus Christi television station KZTV caught up with the judge while he was getting into his vehicle on Wednesday and he confirmed it was him in the video. But he said it "looks worse than it is" and that he did not expect to be disciplined.

"In my mind I haven't done anything wrong other than discipline my child after she was caught stealing," Adams said. "And I did lose my temper but I've since apologised."

When told of her father's comments Hillary Adams said: "It's a shining perfect example of his personality and he believes he can do no wrong ... He will cover up rather than admit to what he did and try to come clean."

As Aransas county's top judge Adams has dealt with at least 349 family law cases in the past year alone, nearly 50 of which involved state caseworkers seeking determine whether parents were fit to raise their children.

County officials confirmed that Adams would not hear cases related to child protection for at least the next two weeks. The top county administrator cast doubt on whether Adams could credibly return to the bench. "I would think it would be very difficult," said Judge CH "Burt" Mills Jr. "Personally I don't see how he can recover from this."

If a judicial commission doesn't lead to punishment or charges Adams could be safe on the bench until he is up for re-election in three years.

Hillary Adams stressed that she did not post the video as revenge and did not want her father punished. Rather, she did it to try and force him to seek help, and because he had been harassing her and she thought the clip would make him stop.

"We need to reach out to victims and the abusers themselves to get people to realise what it actually is," she said.

Hillary said she secretly videotaped the beating in her bedroom because she "knew something was about to happen." She says her parents were angry at her for using her computer to download pirated content over the internet.

In the clip's opening seconds, William Adams is heard telling Hillary's mother, "Go get the belt. The big one. I'm going to spank her now." With belt in hand, he turns off the light and tries forcing his daughter to bend over the bed to be beaten, but she refuses.

"Lay down or I'll spank you in your fucking face," Adams screams while he lashes her with sweeping blows across the legs, ignoring her wails and pleas for him to stop.

A screen grab of a YouTube video shows judge William Adams wielding a belt before beating his daughter A few minutes into the video, which on Thursday morning had been viewed more than 2m times, Hillary's mother barks at her to "turn over like a 16-year-old and take it! Like a grown woman!" For about a minute, the ordeal appears to have ended after both parents leave the room and shut the door. But the judge then storms back into the room and the beating resumes.

Hallie Adams said she was "completely brainwashed and controlled" by her ex-husband.

"I did every single thing that he did," she told NBC. Hillary Adams said she is not angry at her mother.

Child advocates roundly condemned the beating as abuse. But investigators may decide that the judge's actions, while shocking, weren't criminal.

David Finkelhor, a University of New Hampshire sociology professor who heads the school's Crimes Against Children Research Center, said the lines between what is deemed child abuse and what is considered an acceptable level of discipline differ across the country and among various social groups, though the use of objects such as belts and sticks is usually seen as beyond any normal physical punishment.

Patrick Crimmins, a spokesman for the state Department of Family and Protective Services, said in an email that the agency is aware of the video and "will take the appropriate steps in this matter." He said the agency would have no further comment.

Adams's lawyer, William Dudley, said in a written statement that Hillary Adams's explantion of her decision to share the video "have been confusing and hollow ... Very few people find palatable her claim that it was to 'help' her father."

Before the video's release William Adams had threatened to stop supporting her financially because of her lack of achievement in her work and studies. "Hillary warned her father if he reduced her financial support and took away her Mercedes automobile, which her father had provided, he would live to regret it," Dudley said. "The post was then uploaded."

Hillary Adams had played up her cerebral palsy when she was actually "highly functional".

"Judge Adams is confident that when the dust settles and international media attention has passed ... it will be concluded that Hillary Adams's actions in 2011 were misguided and misleading."

davis2ab

That ain't discipline. That is a beating.

The guy is a total looney tunes. He has been trying to destroy me for the last year.

I have been in dispute with him because he attacked me viciously from the bench.

This video has personally helped me because it supports my position that his judgments about me are questionable.

He claims this video was released because he is trying to get custody of his younger daughter.

He is not a good example of a wronged father although he believes he is.

BRIAN

Horse shit.

I got strapped with a belt as a kid. I learned that doing wrong has harsh and immediate consequences because of it.

This was a setup from jump street. This was a willfull teenage girl getting what was comming to her for stealing and not liking it.
You may sleep soundly at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence upon those who seek to harm you.

davis2ab

Wow. I would never expect to hear that from you, but I will avoid getting in an argument with you.

K9

Horse shit.

I got strapped with a belt as a kid. I learned that doing wrong has harsh and immediate consequences because of it.

This was a setup from jump street. This was a willfull teenage girl getting what was comming to her for stealing and not liking it.

I agree. Also, if she had done what she was told, it wouldn't appear to be a beating, it'd be a wuppin'. She brought that on herself.
Explaining misandry to a feminist is like explaining "wet" to a fish.

TheManOnTheStreet

So he FORCED mom to do it too I guess huh... typical.

TMOTS
The Man On The Street is on the street for a reason.......

Quentin0352

Funny since if he saw another father doing that, he owuld have a fit from the bench though I agree she brought a lot of that on herself. She had been caught stealing and etc right before this but she sure doesn't try to let that part be known. A whooping in the rear with a belt is not abuse IMHO but the judge needs held to his own standards he requires of others. I bet his standards wouldn't apply to women though, usually they don't since we all must bow down the the superior sex that knows all, does no wrong and is better at everything than men.

Interesting all the threats and etc he is getting! I wonder how many times he threatened to abuse his power from the bench at people and now he is catching his own crap! I guess it doesn't feel so good to have that happening though he must have lived doing it to others with the full approval of our government!

Quentin0352

BTW, this about says it all..

Before the video's release William Adams had threatened to stop supporting her financially because of her lack of achievement in her work and studies. "Hillary warned her father if he reduced her financial support and took away her Mercedes automobile, which her father had provided, he would live to regret it," Dudley said. "The post was then uploaded."

As for the custody, YUP! His now ex is doing all she can to make him look evil with the timing and etc. I don't doubt her claims on his threats since judges think they are above the law but it says a lot that is comes out right now with these things going on.

http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/2011/11/03/mother-in-beating-video-flap-reportedly-acknowledges-custody-threat/

BRIAN

Like I said setup from jump street.
You may sleep soundly at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence upon those who seek to harm you.

poiuyt

Our problem as men, as well as this Judge William Adam's problem specifically on account of his chosen profession, is that we are over policing ourselves and our own actions to self destruction. And in so doing, we are creating space in our own very homes and lives for prostitutes, parasites, theives, liars, ne'er- do-wells and other criminals.

For on the one hand, this man Judge William Adams, as Quentin rightly points out, professionally condemns, criminalises, excoriates and extorts other men whom are merely accused of domestic violence ... ... whilst on the other hand, himself perpetrates the very same acts of domestic violence in order to maintain order in his own home.

This man Judge William Adams himself, as well as all other men as individuals, as professionals or as men in positions of authority, whom condemn his actions of attemping to maintain domestic order are digging their own graves. These men are partaking in the creation, maintenance and enforcement of a male-made circular firing squad the beneficiaries of which are prostitutes, parasites, theives and liars.

Feminists, their victim-parasites and their female clients have been exploiting this male-made circular firing squad for decades. Their movement is predicated on the material resources, the acts and the responsibilities of patriarchy off which they eat, drink and live, whilst at the same time being condemnatory, contemptuous and destructive of it.

The debate continues at the spearhead. Judge William Adams.com

neoteny

What the judge did is legal in Texas, irrespective of police or DA statements:

Texas Penal Code Sec. 9.61. PARENT--CHILD. (a) The use of force, but not deadly force, against a child younger than 18 years is justified:
(1) if the actor is the child's parent or stepparent or is acting in loco parentis to the child; and
(2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is necessary to discipline the child or to safeguard or promote his welfare.
(b) For purposes of this section, "in loco parentis" includes grandparent and guardian, any person acting by, through, or under the direction of a court with jurisdiction over the child, and anyone who has express or implied consent of the parent or parents.

(It would have been illegal in Canada -- because of the obvious display of anger makes it a beating, not physical discipline --, but it happened in Texas.)

Accordingly, the posting of the video has an effect on the judge in two aspects: regarding his reelection two years from now and regarding the child custody issues about the 10 years old daughter.

If he thinks he did the right thing, then there's nothing to be concerned about.
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

BRIAN

Bump for relevance.

Cordell Walker

one thing I will say for both my pops and my granddad is neither one EVER whipped one of us when he was mad or intoxicated. Hell, sometimes I would be bent over my bed for over an hour waiting for my dad to cool down. a couple of times he even fell asleep/had to go to work and if I got a lil flip with him or something, he would remind me "Paul, I already owe ya one"
"how can you kill women and children?"---private joker
"Easy, ya just dont lead em as much" ---Animal Mother

CaptDMO

"Hillary warned her father if he reduced her financial support and took away her Mercedes automobile, which her father had provided, he would live to regret it,"

So who's giving her money/car in the manner to which she has become accustomedNOW?

David Finkelhor, a University of New Hampshire sociology professor who heads the school's Crimes Against Children Research Center, said the lines between what is deemed child abuse and what is considered an acceptable level of discipline differ across the country and among various social groups, though the use of objects such as belts and sticks is usually seen as beyond any normal physical punishment.

Well, amongst University of New Hampshire sociology professors who head the school's Crimes Against Children Research Center anyway. Apparently, "new" academic research trumps 3000 years of proved (pre-"forensic" psychiatry/psychology/sociology) cause and effect. Lobotomy, electroshock, institutionalization, mind-altering drugs for kids, and inexplicably expensive and prolonged office "sessions" seem to be preferred.   

wh666

As I said in the other thread/my two cents:

That is not controlled even if we do condone corporal punishment, which many don't.

My father was very pro corporal punishment and often would use the belt, cane, etc etc, but it was without anger or hatred, just a case of calmly telling you that being 15 minutes late/speaking back/not eating what you're given isnt acceptable and then drop your pants and hold position so he could take a run up repeatedly.  He wouldnt ever behave in that manner.  I wouldn't want to use violence if I were him, but hey.

Unlike my mother, who didnt use weapons on me, but her beatings were out of control and pure hatred, getting my older brother to hold me down while she punched and scratched me up.

So that is what concerns me.  That is not controlled even if we do condone corporal punishment, which many don't.  That is just beating someone and losing your temper which is assault.  It isnt controlled corporal punishment at all.

Since it is not deemed as legal control, one must use other methods.

The simple fact is, corporal punishment with a kid is never needed, at all, for any offence.

What I used to fear the most as a kid, was time out.  I would take a beating every time over time out if I had a choice as my parents method of time out, was standing for hours facing the corner and if your knees even buckled/quivered, extra time was added.

Go Up