Domestic abuse victims often recant stories

Started by outdoors, Feb 03, 2012, 12:23 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

outdoors

Police, victim services, courts say problem frustrating

The police, victim services and the courts see it all too often: victims of domestic abuse change their minds, recant their stories and go back to their violent partners.

The public prosecution office doesn't have statistics on how often victims recant their accounts on the stand.

Arlene Hache, from the Centre for Northern Families in Yellowknife, said this problem happens often.

"Probably 80 per cent of the women that I speak to recant their story, or regret reporting it," she said.

Hache said at the centre, she sees abused women who fear for their safety, can't support their families or won't have a roof over their heads if their partner goes to jail.

Statistics Canada reports that one in 10 people in Canada's territories report they've been the victim of domestic violence.

"When women do go back and when deaths are a result, it's crushing in one way. Of course I know several women who have ended up dead going back to partners," said Hache.

The RCMP can make video recordings of statements which can then be held up in court if a victim recants. This exact scenario happened in a recent Yellowknife court case when the victim testified that an assault didn't happen.

The judge found the accused guilty anyway based on the sworn statement the woman gave to police right after the attack.

"We're here to help, we want to help break that cycle of violence. It gets frustrating for us when that person may well not want to continue with that effort to take that first step, and step away from their involvement in the cycle of violence," said RCMP Sgt. Wes Heron.
Rebecca Latour, with the GNWT department of justice, said the RCMP should re-think the way it looks at investigations into domestic violence. (CBC)
Rebecca Latour, who is a family violence analyst with the N.W.T. government's justice department, says that across the country, the chances of a woman being murdered go up when a victim has left an abusive relationship. Latour said this is why many women often feel they will be at an even greater risk of violence if they leave.

She said the RCMP needs to look at the way it conducts investigations.

"Successful investigations or cases don't rely solely on the victim's testimony. We know that in general, victims will recant...Police in other jurisdictions - they approach their investigations, you treat as if ... it's a homicide case. A statement is a great thing to have, but it's not what you count on," said Latour.

RCMP said last year, more than 85 per cent of reported spousal assaults in the N.W.T. resulted in charges being laid - but Statistics Canada said only about half of victims ever contact the police.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/story/2012/02/01/north-victim-recant-domestic-violence.html

outdoors

Of course I am getting thumbed down.

outdoors wrote;
Feminist media bias to the extreme.

Poor girl's who use the police to punish their significant other,then often regret it when they realize how far the government will actually go to ruin the man.

Rebecca Latour has no intention of breaking the cycle of family violence or she would take into consideration the true facts of domestic violence and hold women just as accountable as men.

Rebecca Latour actually supports family violence and doing anything to curb that,may just be the end of her highly paid carreer.

Villainizing men the way she does should show everyone exactly what this industry is all about.

Misandry.

neoteny

Of course I am getting thumbed down.

That's OK; at least you're getting the word out. Heretics are rarely popular... but at least give hope to those who might not raise their voice today, but will do so tomorrow because they've seen others do it.
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

Quentin0352

Some other very good comments at lest and they are all gettign a huge thumbs up in most cases.

outdoors

I tried another 1.

outdoors wrote;

"The judge found the accused guilty anyway based on the sworn statement the woman gave to police right after the attack."

Women file sworn statements all the time in false rape cases,does this mean that the falsely accused of rape are automatically guilty?

wh666

Police, victim services, courts say problem frustrating

The police, victim services and the courts see it all too often: victims of domestic abuse change their minds, recant their stories and go back to their violent partners.

From what I've experienced myself and seen with other friends, there is a good reason why women go back to violent partners or end up in the same violent relationships time and time again.

The dirty secret they don't tell you is it is the woman who is the violent one or the catalyst for the incident.  For example, one friend of a friend, has had two or three partners supposedly "beat" her and in each circumstance, she has broken her collarbone.  Very unusual to supposedly have violent partners all focus on that one area.  Quite odd really and having a conversation with her before, I have seen a flash behind her eyes of held back anger.  No-one can really say, but I can quite imagine her being the one that starts to abuse, leaving the same area exposed or charging at her partners in such a way to break it.

One of my past partners and my current one have stated the "abuse" they were subjected to (eg. being kept outside) and after seeing some of their tempers, I've actually seen why!  In the future, if any woman ever says to me that she has been domestically abused, that is a massive "run away" sign.

Go Up